Author Topic: Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )  (Read 763912 times)

Offline camrose

• Rate Post
Mastering the sandbag drag
« Reply #1125 on: June 10, 2018, 15:30:55 »
Looking for some input... I am applying to the Army reserves and training for the fitness test. I am at a point where I can easily do 3 of 4 but can't get the sandbag drag. I'm pretty fit, athletic and healthy but weigh barely 90 lbs and about 4'10" - is this even doable for someone my size? I joined the local base gym and have been going to their FORCE training classes and getting pretty frustrated that I can only get the drag barely 1/2 way. My test is scheduled for 2 weeks and I'm thinking just to cancel. Hints anyone?

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Mastering the sandbag drag
« Reply #1126 on: June 10, 2018, 15:34:09 »
Cut the weight in half when you're doing the practice drags and work on your technique. Once you have it down add more weight.

There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline cld617

• Rate Post
Re: Mastering the sandbag drag
« Reply #1127 on: June 10, 2018, 17:10:15 »
Looking for some input... I am applying to the Army reserves and training for the fitness test. I am at a point where I can easily do 3 of 4 but can't get the sandbag drag. I'm pretty fit, athletic and healthy but weigh barely 90 lbs and about 4'10" - is this even doable for someone my size? I joined the local base gym and have been going to their FORCE training classes and getting pretty frustrated that I can only get the drag barely 1/2 way. My test is scheduled for 2 weeks and I'm thinking just to cancel. Hints anyone?

What kind of training are you doing? For someone your size, you really need to be doing some strength focused training like squats and deadlifts to make up the difference. Not only to pass your PT test, but you're going to be at a significant disadvantage when it comes to just moving objects throughout your career.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )
« Reply #1128 on: June 10, 2018, 19:28:20 »
Physics suck sometimes, but there are people that size that pass it. It's basically leg strength so squats etc help, and starting with low weights to do practice drags.

I'm built like a lever with another 18" on you, so feel your pain.  It can be a pain to get the bags moving, but you just got to dig down and giver!  Keep working at it and don't give up and you'll be good!  No quick solution, but like everything else, hard work and a good attitude will get you there.

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #1129 on: June 10, 2018, 21:41:28 »
Make sure you’re using what weight you DO have to its best advantage also. Lean back, almost to where you think your heals will go out from under you, but not quite. Use your body weight to help counteract the weight you’re trying to pull. At your size, it’ll be tough, but yes, it CAN be done. Technique is vitally important.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1130 on: July 17, 2018, 21:04:31 »
Update: Silly me. I rewatched the video and I noticed I was doing the 20m rush wrong. At every 20m mark, I was laying down outside of the 20m "distance", similar to the starting point, instead of laying down inside the 20m "distance". Therefore I was adding time and distance. I, properly, re-simulated the 20m rush and got it at 39 seconds.
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018

Offline Gcnav

• Rate Post
Force test
« Reply #1131 on: August 09, 2018, 20:06:25 »
Hi, with the force test is there blood pressure readings before and after that affect of you passed overall?

Thanks