Author Topic: CT / Enrollment with CIC [Merged]  (Read 81315 times)

Offline Northalbertan

• Rate Post
Re: CT / Enrollment with CIC [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2009, 17:47:45 »
Already on it.  I have three applications ongoing and maybe one more coming in.  I realize that it is very nearly impossible to run a cadet unit with one officer, at least run one successfully.  I am hoping that by this time next year they will have gone thru the recruiting process or at least be going thru it at that time. In the mean time they will be civilian volunteers.  I am hoping that their CI paperwork gets looked at at Det sometime soon so they will at least be on the payroll. 

It is a pretty daunting task getting thrown in the fire like I have been but I am looking forward to the challenges.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Online Kyle Burrows

• I'm Batman
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Barking out orders"
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2009, 22:40:49 »
Sorry to deviate from the topic - but, Northernalbertan - how many cadets do you have on paper?
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-- February 1955 Combat Forces Journal

Offline Northalbertan

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:27 »
We are a small rural corps and have 22 on paper, we usually parade 20.  I'm hoping to get that number up to around 35 this year.  I've had a number of enquiries so far this summer and 35 seems an attainable number.

Offline Northalbertan

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2009, 23:22:56 »
Well, I went through the physical today and I guess I can hear thunder and see lightning so I will be attesting and coming aboard as a CIC officer cadet in the next couple of weeks. 

In summation, my total time from application to attesting was less than 1 yr (9 months) and I am former service.  I'm sure they sped the process up a little but my backcheck, interview and medical were right smack dab in the middle of the RMC recruiting season and the local CFRC was a very busy place.

I have nothing but positive things to say about the process.  I may have felt a little personal anxiety about timelines but that was only because I was anxious for the process to be completed.  In retrospect things actually went along at a fairly good pace.  I wanted to express my appreciation for what I am sure can be a pretty thankless job at times.

Hoping to be able to change my avatar shortly.

Offline Smokey41

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 14:40:34 »
I have spent a lot of time over the last few weeks on several different websites pertaining to cadets(cadets.ca, CIC etc) including a live chat with a member at the CF recruiting centre attempting to find information on how one would go about becoming a member of the CIC.

I have been able to find some information, however I cannot find where the application forms are located, and how one would go about finding a cadet squadron/corps that are presently looking to add to the instructor staff.

I have attempted to email several of the websites,  via the contact us link, that I have searched but I have yet to receive a reply. I'm currently at a dead end, but hope to find some more information.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

Thanks,
SmokeY

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2009, 08:29:02 »
The usual route for a person wanting to join the CF as a CIC officer is through a cadet corps or squadron.  The exact process differs depending on where the unit is.  In my region you would approach the commanding officer of a unit who would probably have an informal chat with you to get a sense of your suitability and, unless you caused any alarm bells to go off, would get you signed up as a civilian volunteer with the unit.  The process for doing this is very simple and pretty quick.  That would get you involved with the unit while you wait for the CF enrolment process to wind its way through.

The CO would ask the regional or area headquarters for a CIC application package and, having received it, present you with a stack of forms to be filled out at home.  Once you'd finished them the CO would check them over and forward them to the HQ, from which they would be passed on to the CF recruiting system.

Once the recruiting centre has been through your file, you'll be invited to come for a medical exam and interview.  If the results of these are satisfactory you will be offered a position in the CF as a CIC officer and sworn in.

The whole process has been completed in a matter of weeks for some applicants, but in general it will be better measured in months.  If you've served in the Forces before you can expect it to take longer as your previous service will have to be verified, something that involves a sometimes-lengthy search through old records.  Any medical conditions will also tend to lengthen the process as the recruiting centre may ask for additional information or tests from your doctor.  The wait can be discouraging, but if you enjoy the kind of work done by CIC officers you'll find that it's a terriffic second career.

If you let me know what city you're in I can see about getting you some contact information for the local cadet units.

Offline Smokey41

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 11:12:30 »
Thank you for your response and information. After reading various bits of information about joining the CIC it seems most people have had a lengthy process, and that is something that as a result prepared for and expecting. I was just hoping I maybe able to get a jump start on some of the paperwork?

I currently reside at the eastern most part of the City of Toronto, bordered with Durham region, and would be more than willing to travel a short distance. I have found through one of the many websites, an area that lists the different corps/squadrons and was thinking about either calling or email them directly to see about possible vacancies, however I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not.

Thanks again

Offline Retired FDO

• Rate Post
  • Swallowing the anchor after 32 years.
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:14 »
The Regional Cadet HQ for the Central area is at 4900 Yonge St. That's at Yonge and Sheppard on the 6th floor. The number is 416-635-4480. They should be able to help you out. If you are out the East end then you can go through the Oshawa recruiting Centre for all your paperwork.They are at;

78 Richmand St in Oshawa,
Number is 905-803-2474.
A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"   Author Unknown

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 14:35:38 »
Thank you for your response and information. After reading various bits of information about joining the CIC it seems most people have had a lengthy process, and that is something that as a result prepared for and expecting. I was just hoping I maybe able to get a jump start on some of the paperwork?

That would not make much of a difference.  Filling out the forms is something you could probably do in an hour.  It's what happens after you've passed them in that takes time.

I currently reside at the eastern most part of the City of Toronto, bordered with Durham region, and would be more than willing to travel a short distance. I have found through one of the many websites, an area that lists the different corps/squadrons and was thinking about either calling or email them directly to see about possible vacancies, however I'm not sure if this would be a good idea or not.

Nothing wrong with doing that, although it would take some time.  Most cadet units operate one or two evenings a week and various days and times on weekends and many do not have any permanent offices of their own.  Any phone message you leave is likely to take up to a week (sometimes longer) to be received and answered.

I'd suggest calling the Detachment at the number that FDO has provided since they will know which units are looking for officers, and they might be able to give you the application package directly.  The Detachment is staffed during normal business hours and will probably be quick at responding to messages.

Offline Retired FDO

• Rate Post
  • Swallowing the anchor after 32 years.
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 16:57:43 »
If you want to start the application process you'll have to come in to the Recruiting Centre. We do all the processing for CIC. 
A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"   Author Unknown

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure

Offline D. Nicholson

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2009, 02:32:00 »
If you want to start the application process you'll have to come in to the Recruiting Centre. We do all the processing for CIC.

As was said earlier every Region* is different. Speaking to British Columbia you should start the application at the Cadet Corps or Squadron where they will generate the required documentation for you - it's quite a nice stack of paperwork. If you go to CFRC they will simply refer you back to the Corps or Squadron as to start the application the consent of the Sponsor (of the Cadet Corps/Squadron) and the League (Provincially) is required for the Regional Cadet HQ to approve your paperwork. Once that's done it goes to the Recruiting Centre where they conduct the medical and interview.

Best of luck!

Offline Smokey41

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2009, 16:19:36 »
Thank you to everybody who has replied thus far. It is appreciated. I did briefly speak with a recruiter who, although was extremely helpful, advised that I would have to go through cadets firstly, so that is what I will do.

I do have another question that maybe someone can help me with, but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is a member of the CIC that may be willing to let me pick their brain on a few things?

Thanks again

Offline ArmySailor

• :D
  • Rate Post
  • Living for the good times....
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 01:09:24 »
Fire away.

Offline Northalbertan

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2009, 01:07:10 »
I attested 15 Oct.  Some elements took a little longer than I thought but the deed is done.
I am glad to be able to say I am again a member of the CF.  Sounds korny but I am proud.

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2009, 11:19:40 »
I do have another question that maybe someone can help me with, but I was wondering if there is anyone out there that is a member of the CIC that may be willing to let me pick their brain on a few things?

I'm happy to help if you still have questions.

Offline Smokey41

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2009, 19:06:26 »
Thanks to you both for your willingness to help.

My biggest question, having been thing about this for a few days, was as a member of a squadron/corps, would it be preferred if I was to email, telephone, or just drop in on parade night? I was thinking that there may be many pros and cons to both, but the biggest concern is the lack of identity that comes with writing an email?

I do not have any military experience, other than the interest in some military history that I have educated myself with since being a young boy. However, I do have experience in camping, hiking, rock climbing, kayaking, orienteering, and have lead and won a couple of teams in first aid competitions but that is all over 16 years ago. Based on this, while i do not think that it will hinder me having that experience, would the fact that it has been such along time have an impact.

The last concern I have is that I work shift work and although I do get/have and would be willing to use time off to make myself available, would this be a hindrance??

Thanks again, it is much appreciated

Offline ArmySailor

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2009, 19:14:29 »
Personally, for me I usually email the corps CO, and follow up using a phone call.

Parade nights can be a zoo for everyone - especially if there's something special going on  and showing up at 6 30 when the sqn is about to fall in and the CO is being bombarded by parents and the sponsoring commitee and cadets and..... 

I never had any military experience, I did face a bit of bias but I believe that is beacuse I was younger than the usual "shanghied parents". Military experience / cadet experience IS NOT a prerequisite.  Make sure you emphasise your experience and how it would benifit the CCO. You may be asked to hold off on your CIC application and volunteer for a bit / be a paid CI. This is up to your CO. Who knows, perhaps he may not be able to take you on as an officer due to lack of establishment space, but would be willing to take you on as a volunteer. With that experience under your belt it will make it easier for you to approach other corps/sqns.

That is up for your potential CO and you to discuss.

Which element are you joining?

Offline ArmySailor

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2009, 19:16:13 »
a tip -

Make a resume that shows your life experience / jobs and past CCO experience (do it in a functional format).

Its not required, but helps to give the CO a picture of you before he's met you. I made one that showed my skills from outside cadets and as I got more skills in the organisation I updated it and replaced it will military experience.

Offline Smokey41

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2009, 22:27:51 »
Thanks for your reply. I did not think about the possible consequences of showing up at a parade night, when the CO is dealing with everything and everyone.

As for element, I think I would prefer army, but do not really have a preference.

Offline GridNorth

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2009, 11:51:00 »
NorthAlbertan

Congrats & Glad to hear this worked out.

Not all stories go so well. I know firsthand of the Circus that is DCDTs and their pathetic HR / Personnel systems, so those that have the patience to make it thru, well done!.

Offline Northalbertan

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 00:30:41 »
Well I have relearned that the army does at times move at the speed of smell. ::)

I agree that the process could use some streamlining.  There were several places in the process where things could have been sped up considerably.  Not having a qualified officer at the CFRC to do the initial interview held my app up for over a month for example.  I am sure COATS could assist with this part of the process. 

DCDTS has realized that there are  inefficiencies in the system, I've seen an email somewhere that they are looking to repair the process and speed things up in the new year. 

What does everyone think would be a reasonable time frame from app to attestation?

Offline gwp

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 14:16:03 »
Well I have relearned that the army does at times move at the speed of smell. There were several places in the process where things could have been sped up considerably.  Not having a qualified officer at the CFRC to do the initial interview held my app up for over a month for example.  DCDTS has realized that there are  inefficiencies in the system, I've seen an email somewhere that they are looking to repair the process and speed things up in the new year. 

What does everyone think would be a reasonable time frame from app to attestation?

That question applies equally to enrolling in any the RegF or any sub component of the Reserve Force.  CFRCs have a finite number of people and available expertise depending upon the intake.  Lengthy enrolments are not specific to the CIC Branch of the CF.  Reasonable is often defined by how long the candidate is prepared to wait.

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2010, 16:02:43 »
Making the great plunge  :piper:

Heading down to my local armories tonight and starting the application process assuming the opening exists! Worst case scenario I'll sign on as a CI/CV. I think it's about time I give back to the great organization that has given me so much in the past now that my career allows for it.

See you around boys and gals. Crowe is back in the game.
Ex-CI of A&SH of C (PL) 2347 RC(Army)CC (2010-2011)
Ex-RSM of A&SH of C (PL) 2347 RC(Army)CC (2002-2008)

http://www.macenchroe.com

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:46 »
Signing the formal papers to become a CI on Sunday, then starting the enrollment process for CIC! They had some openings!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 14:02:43 by The Crowe »

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2010, 11:19:25 »
Sundays range date was canceled, Monday it is!