Author Topic: Canadian Naval Centennial  (Read 85458 times)

Offline Antoine

• Rate Post
  • Achieving singularity and paradigm shifts
Re: Canadian Naval Centennial
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2010, 02:28:03 »
Is anyone here who is going to be in Victoria on 4th of May for the celebration?

I am thinking about the BBQ that could be a good time if the weather is nice!

www.downtownvictoria.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=221&Itemid=248

On May 4th, Canada's Navy will mark its 100th anniversary of service to our country.  The following aspects of the celebration will take place in Downtown Victoria:
Freedom of the City Parade
Beginning at 10 am, our local naval forces will exercise their right to Freedom of the City and parade with a guard under arms, drums drumming and flags flying.  All Maritime Forces Pacific military personnel will take part, led by Rear-Admiral Tyrone Pile, Commander Maritime Forces Pacific, and the parade includes the Naden Band and a Guard of Honour.  They will march to City Hall, where there will be a Freedom of the City Ceremony to commemorate the important history linking the Navy and the City of Victoria.
Homecoming Statue Unveiling
To celebrate this historic occasion, a group of local citizens (along with currently serving and retired naval personnel) have raised funds to erect a statue adjacent to the Visitor Information Centre at Wharf & Government.  "The Homecoming Statue" will help signify the historic link between the Navy and the community and portrays that most joyous & magical of occasions - when a sailor returns home to his family and community.  The Homecoming, created by well-known local artist Nathan Scott, will be the visible and permanent link between the Navy and its home community.  This unveiling event will start at 12 noon.
GREAT NAVY BBQ
Music, magic, and celebration will be the order of the day on this, the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy.  The downtown community is invited to join in the celebration as the DVBA, Esquimalt Lions, and Royal Oak Centennial Rotary dish up 3000 hot-dogs and drinks in Centennial Square from 11:30 am - 1 pm.  The Great Navy BBQ is made possible through a partnership of the DVBA, City of Victoria, Esquimalt Lions Club, Royal Oak Centennial Rotary Club, and through the generosity of Sysco Foods, Coca Cola, and many enthusiastic downtown volunteers.
The barbeque will open officially with greetings from DVBA chair Scott Hoadley, Mayor Dean Fortin, and Admiral Tyrone Pile.  Throughout the event there will be face painting and magicians will wander and perform in the crowd.  Chikoro Marimba will perform on Spirit Stage from 11:30 to 1:00 and will be joined by Shane King at 12:15 for some mainstage magic.  The Navy and the Maritime Museum will also have information tents set up so members of the public can find out more about the Navy's past and present.  The Maritime Museum's tent will also have entertainer Captain Jack.
Come along and join the fun ...as long as the hot-dogs last.
The Future Is Coming Sooner Then You Think - 2007 U.S. Congress study by the Joint Economic Committee
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom - Isaac Asimov
We risk continuing to fight a 21st-century conflict with 20th-century rules - John Reid, British secretary of state for defence
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Offline Hawk

• Rate Post
  • I came, I saw, I left
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05:25 »
The Chronicle Herald online has a slide show of Canadian Navy 100 Years at http://thechronicleherald.ca/

Hawk

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2010, 11:59:38 »
Is anyone here who is going to be in Victoria on 4th of May for the celebration?

www.downtownvictoria.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=221&Itemid=248

I'll be there...in green  ;D.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Antoine

• Rate Post
  • Achieving singularity and paradigm shifts
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2010, 15:29:44 »
I'll be there if I get the good to go from my boss.
Come early because I love BBQ and I have a big hungry French appetite  ;D
The Future Is Coming Sooner Then You Think - 2007 U.S. Congress study by the Joint Economic Committee
The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom - Isaac Asimov
We risk continuing to fight a 21st-century conflict with 20th-century rules - John Reid, British secretary of state for defence
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2010, 16:35:35 »

I'll be there, marching of course.

Should be an interesting gaggle :P
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Offline ArmySailor

• :D
  • Rate Post
  • Living for the good times....
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2010, 17:07:09 »
I too will be there, marching with MARPAC HQ (as the RCSU HQ is an integral unit of MARPAC) in the first group and in green :)

Army.ca does NavyDay?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2010, 17:56:07 »
I'll be there, marching of course.

Should be an interesting gaggle :P

Should be good for a laugh or six...I'd consider wearing ballistic eyewear if you're marching  ::).

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline Snakedoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2010, 19:34:34 »
Centennial video looks great, but I suspect this has more to do with the fact it was created by the recruiting people (or whatever company this is outsourced to) rather than the centennial committee.

Offline ArmySailor

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 00:26:40 »
Should be good for a laugh or six...I'd consider wearing ballistic eyewear if you're marching  ::).

MM

They made us do drill practices..............apparently we have quite a few ncms who last stepped on a parade square 20 years ago!

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 00:33:24 »
The only one of my troops that had to do a practice was the one on the colour guard - the other ones are going in cold...

MM
MM

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2010, 18:46:25 »
The only one of my troops that had to do a practice was the one on the colour guard - the other ones are going in cold...

MM

Yeah I believe it was only the band and the honour guard that practiced. Everyone else is winging it.
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Offline ArmySailor

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2010, 19:07:23 »
Apparently my CO is a guard commander :)

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 21:08:48 »
All I know was that there was standing room only in the MIR waiting room - ie, right outside my office - with world record amounts of "All of a sudden, I can't do Parade-itis"...or so it would seem  ::).

Base Duty WO (or POOD as the fish people here call it) tonight - already going to be great as there's a roughly 70km/h breeze reeking havoc with the flags, one of the people on watch tonight failed to arrive/call in (already duly noted to the appropriate people, hehehehehehe) and have had 3 lockouts, all by dinner.  Hope I can get some boot polishing in for tomorrow...

MM
MM

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2010, 21:11:01 »
All I know was that there was standing room only in the MIR waiting room - ie, right outside my office - with world record amounts of "All of a sudden, I can't do Parade-itis"...or so it would seem  ::).

Base Duty WO (or POOD as the fish people here call it) tonight - already going to be great as there's a roughly 70km/h breeze reeking havoc with the flags, one of the people on watch tonight failed to arrive/call in (already duly noted to the appropriate people, hehehehehehe) and have had 3 lockouts, all by dinner.  Hope I can get some boot polishing in for tomorrow...

MM

In that case, I am not just down the hall.

*waves hand*

These are no the ODs your looking for.

:P

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 21:19:00 »
Lol  - we did snag someone who wandered in off the street in uniform to take over - sent a little note of appreciation the RCPO to get him off duty for awhile (I hope).

MM
MM

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 00:37:41 »
If there is one thing I've learned, it's that the rest of my time in will be spent learning.

Newest lesson:

Never let it be known that you're the one guy in the block that can actually tie a full windsor knot the night before the parade.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2010, 01:40:20 »
Should see if there is a site on youtube and direct people there.

MM
MM

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Royal Proclamation
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:48 »
From the PM's web site:
On the recommendation of the Government of Canada a Royal Proclamation has been issued to designate today, May 4, as Canadian Navy Centennial Day.  Text of the Royal Proclamation, the first issued by Prime Minister Harper’s Government, follows:

ELIZABETH THE SECOND, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom, Canada and Her other Realms and Territories QUEEN, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith,

(signature)

Deputy Attorney General

Proclamation text

To all to whom these presents shall come or whom the same may in any way concern,

Greeting:

A PROCLAMATION

Whereas Canada's navy has loyally and dutifully served Canada and Canadians for a century;

Whereas May 4, 2010 marks the one-hundredth anniversary of the granting of royal assent to the Naval Service Act, which authorized the creation of a navy for Canada;

Whereas the men and women who have served in Canada's naval forces, both regular and reserve, over the past century have embodied the virtues of courage, commitment and sacrifice in the defence of Canada and Canadian interests, and in the advancement of peace and security around the world;

Whereas it is desirable to build and strengthen in Canadians an appreciation for their navy and to promote the role of the navy in a maritime nation like Canada;

And whereas, by Order in Council P.C. 2010-477 of April 21, 2010, Her Excellency the Governor General in Council has ordered that a proclamation do issue declaring May 4, 2010 as "Canadian Navy Centennial Day";

Now know you that We, by and with the advice of Our Privy Council for Canada, do by this Our Proclamation declare May 4, 2010 as "Canadian Navy Centennial Day".

Of all which Our loving subjects and all others whom these presents may concern are hereby required to take notice and to govern themselves accordingly.

In testimony whereof, We have caused this Our Proclamation to be published and the Great Seal of Canada to be hereunto affixed.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2010, 18:30:20 »
Went to the FOC parade in Victoria today - was a little chilly, but otherwise nice weather.  Looked pretty good, though I'm sure the Formation CPO1 might be having a few words with a few (at least 3 that I saw) guard commanders who neglected to salute and "Eyes Right"  the dais as they marched past...the Mayor was standing there with this four headed alien look on his face that was quite priceless as the guards wandered on by.  But maybe I'm just nit picking...

MM
MM

Offline ArmySailor

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2010, 18:33:30 »
It was good times and hte parade practice for us paid off ;)

I missed the eyes left by the legislature - couldn't hear our comd but i wans't the only one...........

I may go to the wardroom this PM for my spirit issue.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2010, 18:39:05 »
You can see if the C&PO's will issue you my tot if you like...have teenager problems to deal with.  Besides, you walked, I watched.  So you actually practiced????!!!! >:D

MM
MM

Offline NinerSix

is getting the itch to deploy.

• Has been
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Retired!
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2010, 19:11:33 »
Anyone got pictures? I should be pretty easy to spot: Red beret and green uniform in a sea of navy uniform and white caps!
The process is not the mission.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 19:22:08 »
The weather today in Halifax was perfect.  It was warm, sunny and the whole thing went off from a spectator's POV nicely.  With the exception of the news of PO2 Blake, it was a day I will be happy to remember.

Offline ArmySailor

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 19:32:05 »
You can see if the C&PO's will issue you my tot if you like...have teenager problems to deal with.  Besides, you walked, I watched.  So you actually practiced????!!!! >:D

MM

Yup - the CO made us have a parade practice so we looked 'good'. We had a lot of staff who hadnt been on parade in oh, 20 years.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 22:00:53 »
The colour guard looked really good from where I was right across from the dais, as did the first few platoons coming through...started getting a little caterpillarish the last few but hey, when you have 2-3k marching, it tends to do that after awhile.  It was funny looking up Douglas St - looked like a gazillion aspirins bobbing up the road in ranks  ;D.

MM
MM