Author Topic: Meals at BMQ  (Read 26022 times)

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Meals served at bmq?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:49 »
Dunno... I find that the IMPs aren't bad... given a chance to heat them.
But portions are "bare minimum" for someone working hard
Chimo!

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 14:10:44 »
I'm sure I'll do fine on an IMP then being that I'm about 3 apples high.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline Nauticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 18:18:42 »
That is, if you get to eat...

More than once, I've only had time for a glass of lemonade or chocolate milk, and a muffin.
"Fate guides who will; who won't, it drags."

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 18:28:46 »
The only thing I dont like about the CF food system is box lunches and hay boxes/IMPs.  But that usually has more to do with the surroundings then anything else  ;D

You get two (!) box lunches per flight at CFANS.  I've always just given the first one right back to 402 Sqn...who honestly needs 4 mystery-meat sandwiches?  :-X
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 18:30:18 »
Dunno... I find that the IMPs aren't bad... given a chance to heat them.
But portions are "bare minimum" for someone working hard

Three meals (B\L\S) will total around 3600 calories, so they're roughly 1200 per.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Kebel

• Freedom will be defended
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 18:53:39 »
I'm a bit surprised to read a post like that. I may be the one which is not normal in here, but I don't give a damn about what i'll be eating this summer during my BMOQ. I'll eat what's in the plate... and that's it!

I don't like seafoods, in fact I hate seafoods, but since i'm not allergic to it i'll eat it if needed.

I'd rather focus on I perform on the course rather than what i'll eat in a couple of hours.. But maybe it's just me...

Edit:

In fact I focus on getting in shape and getting used to get up at 5:30AM, that is more a concern to me than foods  :boring:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 18:56:59 by Kebel »
"Remember, your weapon was built by the lowest bidder" - Unknown
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended. " - George W. Bush on 9/11

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 18:55:55 »
 >:D

It is just you.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 18:59:40 »
Thats assuming you eat EVERYTHING in the package though right?  Most only have the time or means to eat the main meal, the desert and maybe the bread.  Thats been my experience anyway.

Three meals (B\L\S) will total around 3600 calories, so they're roughly 1200 per.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 19:39:44 »
Thats assuming you eat EVERYTHING in the package though right?  Most only have the time or means to eat the main meal, the desert and maybe the bread.  Thats been my experience anyway.

It's not my fault you're not armoured and can't carry your kitchen around with you 8). Beside the IMPs, we normally carry fresh with us to supplement. Sausage, eggs, bread, bacon, potatoes, stuff like that. Oh well, another fine day under the black (armour) beret ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 19:43:53 by recceguy »

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 19:46:46 »
It's not my fault you're not armoured and can't carry your kitchen around with you 8). Beside the IMPs, we normally carry fresh with us to supplement. Sausage, eggs, bread, bacon, potatoes, stuff like that. Oh well, another fine day under the black (armour) beret ;)

Hmmm

Ok, if you guys have universal air conditioning in all your vehicles, im in!  If not, let me know as soon as that capability presents itself and im in then!

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 19:49:22 »
Matter of fact our Gwagons do have air, thank you very much :nod:

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 20:54:44 »
I'm a bit surprised to read a post like that. I may be the one which is not normal in here, but I don't give a damn about what i'll be eating this summer during my BMOQ. I'll eat what's in the plate... and that's it!

I don't like seafoods, in fact I hate seafoods, but since i'm not allergic to it i'll eat it if needed.

I'd rather focus on I perform on the course rather than what i'll eat in a couple of hours.. But maybe it's just me...

Edit:

In fact I focus on getting in shape and getting used to get up at 5:30AM, that is more a concern to me than foods  :boring:

I'm already in top shape, and i'm fully confident that the bmq's physical part will be a breeze seeing that i already work out and keep my body in top notch condition for competitive fighting. Plus read any fitness, personal trainer, weight loss or mixed martial arts books. They all state that you'll never be in the best condition with out proper nutrition. All athletes are on a strict daily meal plan. Your body doesn't just get in good shape from working it hard. Your body needs the right protein, healthy fats and vitamins to run and repair properly.

Edit: I'm with you on the whole 5:30 in the morning thing though, that'll be rough first week around.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 21:01:10 by Mosher »

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 21:27:23 »
It's actually 0500 there guy.  And yes it sucks - that's what time I have to get up to drop off the little dude off at daycare.

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 22:33:26 »
Probably get use to it after awhile. Helps to get a good sleep.

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 22:39:52 »
Also helps to sometimes NOT get a good nights sleep.  You'll have to function under all sorts of lovely conditions.  As will I.

Offline koopa

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 22:56:40 »
Edit:

In fact I focus on getting in shape

Well, its kinda hard to criticize someone when you aren't in shape (or where you want to be). As a picky, healthy eater, I'm just as curious as the original poster as to what is served and be prepared for some of the diet changes that I might expect.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 22:57:56 »
Well, its kinda hard to criticize someone when you aren't in shape (or where you want to be). As a picky, healthy eater, I'm just as curious as the original poster as to what is served and be prepared for some of the diet changes that I might expect.

Think of a restaurant with a salad bar. Pick up a menu. Pick one each from columns A,B&C. There's your typical mess hall menu.

No one here is going to run you through all the possibilities, calorie counts or carb loads. If you guys are that wrapped up about yourselves and your diets, you have to get a life. Wait till you get to the field and working, you'll eat whatever is put in front of you. You'll all have bigger problems to contend with when you hit Basic, besides what you're going to shove into your gob. Get over it. There's been more than enough info given in this thread to satisfy the most picky eater.

Milnet.ca Staff
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 23:04:11 by recceguy »

Offline React SB

• Rate Post
Meals at BMQ
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2015, 22:00:10 »
I checked out almost every other post on this site related to "Food and BMQ" but found nothing that actually states the amount of calories one can consume on a daily basis in BMQ. I was told that my BMQ would be soon, and my question is would it be hard to eat between 2500-2600 calories every day? I am a powerlifter and a natural bodybuilder, and would like to know wether I should lose some wheight or gain some before BMQ. I am 6 ft at 165 lbs with 8% body fat.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
Re: Meals at BMQ
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2015, 22:04:09 »
How fast can you eat  >:D?

Offline React SB

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2015, 22:05:35 »
How fast can you eat  >:D?

I think I just got my answer! Haha! Thank you!  :salute:

Offline React SB

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 22:09:14 »
Just one more question. Would I have access to a gym during BMQ? Mine is 3 weeks longs since I'm applying for the Primary Reserves.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2015, 22:12:09 »
I checked out almost every other post on this site related to "Food and BMQ" but found nothing that actually states the amount of calories one can consume on a daily basis in BMQ. I was told that my BMQ would be soon, and my question is would it be hard to eat between 2500-2600 calories every day? I am a powerlifter and a natural bodybuilder, and would like to know wether I should lose some wheight or gain some before BMQ. I am 6 ft at 165 lbs with 8% body fat.

You don't need to do anything in advance.  Once at BMQ, your weight will adjust itself based on the training and meals.  You might go up and you might go down.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 22:20:26 »

You will be given 3 meals a day. However, your time to actually eat will be short with timings to meet. If you're late for a class, you'll be late for your meal which means less time to eat in order to be on time for the next period of training. So, to answer your question more realistically: you probably won't be able to get in all your desired calories a day; 2000 sure, but probably not a whole lot more.

Here is some reading for you:

Body building and the Canadian Forces

Meals served at bmq?

Reply #19

As far as BMQ goes, you'll be glad of the food, if you get enough time to eat it.

Muscle loss and basic training

Maintaining strength on basic

"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline ZacheryK

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 22:28:57 »
Yes without question you will be fed. All thats left to consider is how much time you'll have to actually eat.  As for using the gym, I doubt youll have the free time on a PRes BMQ.
If it's flat and dry it's a bonus.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 22:33:58 »
Yes without question you will be fed. All thats left to consider is how much time you'll have to actually eat.  As for using the gym, I doubt youll have the free time on a PRes BMQ.

Other than morning PT, highly unlikely.

Morning PT will usually consist of running and maybe some circuit type body weight exercises (some using sandbags and/or rifles). Our PT guy was a MCpl given "Most fit soldier" award 6 years in a row. Total beast.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC