Author Topic: NCM Subsidized Education Plan (NCM SEP)  (Read 125142 times)

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: NCM Subsidized Education Plan (NCM SEP)
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2010, 17:36:42 »
Check in with your CFRC.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Heffalumps

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2010, 17:58:52 »
I asked them a few days ago and I was told they were not sure, my papers had to be sent out to Ottawa or something where someone much higher ranked then corpal makes these kinds of decisions

aesop081

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2010, 18:02:00 »
I asked them a few days ago and I was told they were not sure, my papers had to be sent out to Ottawa or something where someone much higher ranked then corpal makes these kinds of decisions

I can see your reasoning. If the CFRC doesnt know, anonymous strangers on the internet certainly will.

Offline Heffalumps

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 18:25:29 »
oh come on your not an anonymous strangers now <3
I was just wondering if anyone on here might have some kind of inkling about this

aesop081

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2010, 18:28:34 »
oh come on your not an anonymous strangers now <3
I was just wondering if anyone on here might have some kind of inkling about this

My inkling is for you to call the CFRC in the morning. It is not that long a wait.

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2010, 20:23:11 »
You should check in often, as positions are going quickly.

There is more than one merit list.  Some of them are checked daily and others weekly or as needed.  It can take a little extra time for SEP selections sometimes.  When you talk to them ask if your BackCheck is done.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2010, 16:57:12 »
When I was in recruiting all selection decisions were made in Borden home of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters not in Ottawa as mentioned in this thread and many others.  The only decisions made in Ottawa were medically related as that is where the Recruiting Medical Officer was located.  Can a current recruiting person clarify this for me?
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

safetysOff

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 19:34:52 »
Necro thread but what would you like to know George?  I'm currently going through it.

safetysOff

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 19:51:26 »
I'll put a brief description of what I've done so far.  Joined two years ago.  Did my first year in my program then did basic.  Since then my school has ran straight through without any breaks lasting longer than 3 weeks, so I haven't been able to get loaded onto any further courses.  During these breaks you get 'job placements' at the nearest support area base doing ***** work.  Don't fail any courses or you get a meeting with the Captain in charge. I've heard you get in serious crap, may get kicked out, repay CF funding recieved, etc. if it happens.  Just don't fail pretty much will get you through.  I'm 7 months from being 'job ready', licensed, civi bonafide, etc. in my trade.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 21:13:40 »
I didn't even know MRAD TECH was part of NCM-SEP.  Learned something new, I guess.

safetysOff

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 21:23:37 »
I could teach you many things young grasshopper  ;D

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2010, 16:46:50 »
I could teach you many things young grasshopper  ;D

Not too many...I think "young" went out the window when I got that first clasp to the CD...   ;)

Offline Lil r

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2011, 14:08:34 »
Has anyone gone through NCM SEP by CTing from the reserves? Has anyone done it and can share their experiences.
I have applied to the available programs to college, been accepted, and put a CT in for LCIS. Ottawa e-mailed me telling me CTs were closed until March 31st. Went to the CFRC and they said they will not receive the list for which programs/trades will be subsidized until the CTs are open again, so was told to wait out.
As well if you did do the NCM SEP from the reserves, did you stay with your home unit if you went to a local college until you finished your program?

Offline WenginIt

• Rate Post
  • Ready. Able. And waiting...
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2011, 06:59:59 »
Hi,

I am curious about getting into an NCM SEP program after initially applying for a couple of Naval Electronics Tech trades that have since filled up. The last recruiter I spoke to suggested I just go and apply for an acceptable trade school program and then show them my acceptance letter. Will the recruiting centre require me to reapply with the new NCM SEP entrance trade or can they just adjust my original application?
Also, if I applied for the fall 2011 semester, is it reasonable to think that I could be offered acceptance into the military at this time of the year?
I hope these questions aren't too mundane... I am just so focused on my objective to get into the CF and I want to do everything right now, Ahhh! Thanks to anyone who replies.
G.

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2011, 14:48:30 »
The Navy has a contract with the Marine Institute in St. John's.  You should be able to fill out an application for MI at the RC.  They should send it away for you, and take care of the college's application fee.  Studies at MI begin in January, so that would give you lots of time to get your processing out of the way and get BMQ done.

Offline franciscorivera

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2011, 23:50:40 »
Turtlerace79
How long has it been since you have applied to the previous NET trades that have filled up?
If your application is recent, then YES they can adjust your original application
The way it works is they will change your application status from "Unskilled" entry to "NCM SEP" entry
I know because I just had them adjust mine last month

Agc
I dont believe that was his question but it doesn't hurt to inform him of different paths to take
keep in mind, there are many other credited civilian colleges that he could choose from
The disciplines/diplomas can vary from school to school even though they are for the same occupation
 Example- For NWT
You could choose
                     Electro-Mechanical Engineering at Marine Institute of Memorial University
                     Electronics Engineering at Seneca

As for your last question. Correct me if I'm wrong
1. You receive an acceptance letter to college for the Fall 2011 semester
2. You enroll for the Fall 2011 semester
3. Is it possible to receive a job offer from the CF as an NCM SEP applicant around the Fall 2011 semester?
No one dies a virgin.. life screws us all

Offline WenginIt

• Rate Post
  • Ready. Able. And waiting...
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 05:39:11 »
Hi again.

I appreciate the responses that have been posted as they have been pretty helpful.

In response to Agc, you did clear up some confusion I had about the Marine Institute. I assumed that I would have to apply on my own to M.I.T. but I will probably head to the Recruiting Centre if I decide to go that route. I did apply to my local trade school that has an electronics program that the CF will accept for the NCM SEP program. And January seems like an ideal timeline for me, if the program I have applied to is full.

To franciscorivera, I think you answred the main premise of my question. I initially submitted my application last April (2010) but I finally got a call in March 2011 to see if I was still interested. I told the recruiter that I definately was, and they began processing my app. I went in a few weeks later to see where my file was at, and they informed me that the trades I chose had since filled up but I could persue the NCM SEP if I got accepted into a post-secondary institution. So here I am, just waiting to hear back from my local school.

So yeah, my last question was this: If I do get accepted to SAIT for the fall of 2011, will that be enough time for my file to be processed (including reference checks, interview, aptitude tests, etc.) so that I can be sworn in. I only ask this because the CF recruiting centre tends to  take many months to move things forward (in my case anyway). I don't mean to sound negative, I just want to know if it's a realistic timeline.

Anyway, thanks for your time and I look forward to reading your reply.

Offline franciscorivera

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 11:37:13 »
Is there anybody on here that is currently or recently attended the Marine Institute of Memorial University for:
Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technician diploma
Electronics Engineering Technician diploma

I would love to hear some feedback as this is the path that I have applied for
No one dies a virgin.. life screws us all

Offline GSArora

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 01:07:37 »
So, I'm going into Grade 12 next year, and I'd like to get go through the NCM-SEP program if possible.
I emailed a recruiter, asking about programs and colleges, and he sent a really detailed reply about what the program was about.
However, there was no information on accredited programs for becoming an Avionics Technician. For all of the navy trades, he included a list of accredited college programs to go along with it. But for the land based ones, there was nothing.

I've found this while searching through the forums:
http://cfo-oafc.accc.ca/report_by_programmes.php

but that info doesnt match up with the info I got from the email, and it doesn't include any schools for avionics either.
Basically what I'm asking is, how can I become an Avionics Tech through the NCM-SEP.

I can upload the PDFs(or can I?) he sent me, if thats necessary.

Offline Gizmo 421

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 06:50:31 »
The colleges that currently have eligible 2 year (technician) and 3 year (technologist) programs is quite long, You could try emailing the contact centre again with an area of the country that you wish to study in and the specific occupation that you are interested in. The recruiters could then better advise you of the schools in that area. Keep in mind that the list may change as it is over a year away. You could also try the toll free number at the contact centre and speak directly to an online recruiter. 1-866-966-8718 between 8 and 4 eastern time.
I still have so much to learn.

Offline Roos3

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2011, 09:14:50 »
When I did my basic, we were a platoon of NCMSEPs and there were a few AVN/AVS techs. Most of them went to college in northern Ontario. I beleive the college was Canadore in North Bay. But I suppose that is only relevant depending on your location.
"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Offline exgunnertdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2011, 11:28:23 »
There is a complete list, but it's on the DWAN only. Might be on the internet side of the system, but I couldn't find it. 

The institutions for AVS are BCIT, NAIT, SAIT,  Canadore College, Centennial College and CÉGEP d’Édouard Montpetit - École nationale d'aérotechnique (ÉNA) from what I can see.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . ."
"God fights on the side with the best artillery"
- Napoleon

Offline GSArora

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2011, 15:00:11 »
Thanks for the quick replies.
So I called the toll free recruitment center number, multiple times, but I can only leave voicemail.
I've emailed them again, and since they sent a quick reply last time, I'm hoping they'll do the same again.

My next question is:
My brother signed up for the reserves in about February of this year, and he hasn't recieved any word or email on anything. I'm worried this would happen if I signed up for the NCM-SEP, because well, waitings a b**** especially when its your future on the line. Assuming that my program at BCIT is acceptable, when would be the best time to sign up, and how long would it take them to contact me (or how long after should I follow up and call them)?

Thanks again.

Offline middle_coast

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 16:59:05 »
I did NCM-SEP as an AVS tech.  The list of institutions posted previously is correct, except you can scratch out NAIT, their program will be shut down as of this year.  It is a completely separate entry plan, you select it from day 1 at the recruiting centre, and it has a whole different set of recruiting numbers compared to the normal entry plan.  Your recruiting centre should be able to tell you the numbers for NCM-SEP vs regular entry plan.

Offline GSArora

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2011, 16:43:04 »
The email I recieved today lists the same schools that you just did, so thanks for that  :nod:
Also, what do you (@lobotomized_ncm) mean by recruiting numbers?
This was also in the email:

"Unfortunately those occupations are not currently available for NCM-SEP at this time." ("Those" referring to AVS Tech, and Weapons Engineering Tech. which I had also asked about)

Do openings come regularly, or am I just screwed? I'm hoping to apply around October/November, and right now, it doesn't seem like Octobers that far off. Thats my last question(well, I'm pretty sure it is). Unfortunately the closest recruiting office is pretty far, and the phone always goes to voicemail, so these forums are the best place to find relevant info at the moment.

Thanks again for the help