Author Topic: Head Shaving/BMQ (merged)  (Read 36591 times)

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
Re: Head Shaving/BMQ (merged)
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 21:29:51 »
They say nice hair cut and everyone moves on with their lives.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline Wilamanjaro

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 21:30:36 »
Hahaha, perfect.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 21:35:03 »
At least you won't be one of the ones sobbing into their pillows in the receiving barracks the first night because you lost your golden locks to the nasty, nasty barber......

I never was sure if it was the barber's actions or that mean black DI who never conversed with you at less than 100 db, and got really, really close......whoa, gimme some space man!!!  ;D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline DexOlesa

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 21:43:00 »
I shaved about a week before I went. They just made me go anyway to make sure it was "regulation".

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 21:46:19 »
Actually, they drag you out behind the barber shop, order you to grow it again, and make you stand at attention unitl it grow back, then they shave it all off. :nod:
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Online jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 22:14:10 »
I was soon told by an ex military member, "Don't you know what they do to guys who shave their head before they start?"

Nothing, don't worry about it. Far better then to show up looking like a hippy. At least you are demonstrating some sore of commitment to your chosen profession.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline estoguy

• Rate Post
  • Aspiring CF Pilot
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 22:41:35 »
If you were to get your hair cut ahead of time, what is "regulation"?  #1 on the clippers, or shorter than that even?

To try it, I went down to a number 1 last summer and LOVED it.
"The future is uncertain and the end is always near"
- Jim Morrison, "Roadhouse Blues"

A little hard, because you want it
A little hard, cause you believe
A little hard, yeah its worth fighting for
A little hard, is why you succeed.

Offline safetysOff

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 23:22:29 »
From what I remember you'll probably end up standing at ease instead of getting your 15 minutes of sitting time for that day.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 23:46:34 »
If you were to get your hair cut ahead of time, what is "regulation"?  #1 on the clippers, or shorter than that even?

To try it, I went down to a number 1 last summer and LOVED it.

When I was there in 2009 it had to be at least down to a #2, but you were allowed to go with #1. You weren't allowed to go to zero for some reason. Our Sgt said it was a safety thing because they were zipping so many people in and out all the time as fast as possible and with weird heads and weird deformities that people have and stuff they didn't want to accidentally cut off a person's third nipple or something :rofl:
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2012, 00:58:30 »
I would have to say you have a few more important things to worry about...but I'm like that.  Just don't show up with a mohawk with stubble - it'll turn into alot of stubble with a skunk stripe.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2012, 14:22:33 »
If you shave your head, you'll just have one more thing to polish...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 15:17:13 »
When I was there, whenever a new platoon showed up we always made fun of the guys who had long hair still. By the time they got to he barbers they couldn't wait to get it shaved off.

Same thing happened when I went thru; in 1989.  The more things change...the more they stay the same.

IIRC, we got our haircuts around Thursday of week 1, the same day we got issued our kit.  Until that, we were the stupidiot platoon, stomping around with 120 different versions of various drill movements, some guys with long hair, all of us in our "civies" to the amusement of the other 9 platooons of "Senior" recruits in Cornwallis at the time.

Then, come Sunday of Week 2, we'd no longer be the Goon Platoon, we were BETTER than those dumba$$es, because we had our workdress and shaved heads and we had more TI than they did.   :bowing:  Yup, Week 2 and we thought we were the shyte now!!  :facepalm:

Snaking thru the line at Champlain Hall, we could roughly guess what week a recruit was in by how much hair had grown back on the top.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2012, 15:37:34 »
Times have changed in the few decades since I went to Cornwallis for basic.  Shaved heads were the rarity (Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas were probably the only role models for the look) and long hair was much more common (many of us showed up looking like hippies).  The first haircut at the base barbershop left only the barest of stubble and a weekly haircut was mandatory.  In my platoon there were two individuals who thought they would go the whole distance.  After they came back from the first haircut, they started to shave their heads.  They were about halfway finished when one of the DS walked through the washroom and spotted them.  The shaving was stopped even though each had only done one side of the head.  They had to live with that look for two days before they were sent to the barbershop to have the other side cut closer (but not shaved).  It took a little while for the evidence of their poor choice to be not so visible.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2012, 15:55:26 »
And the guy with the longest hair didn't quite finished getting his cut before the staff called "Lunch Time" and had to go to the Mess Hall with half his head shaved.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline Deelo

• Private - ACISS
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2012, 22:38:44 »

And the guy with the longest hair didn't quite finished getting his cut before the staff called "Lunch Time" and had to go to the Mess Hall with half his head shaved.

;D *hehe* I'm certain that will be my luck in a few weeks.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:20 »
I went through Cornwallis in 86 and the other platoons would call us "Alice" till we got it cut. For some long forgoten reason we weren't allowed to shave our head, even guys that were bald on top weren't allowed to shave it all off. This was enforced right up in to the late 90s.
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:50 »
I went through Cornwallis in 86 and the other platoons would call us "Alice" till we got it cut.

Hey, me too!  Same thing.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2012, 10:15:34 »
Hey, me too!  Same thing.
You weren't allowed to shave your head?  :whistle:
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2012, 10:31:12 »
You weren't allowed to shave your head?  :whistle:

At that time, no, women weren't allowed.   ;)

I meant the "Alice" thing.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline RDJP

is off somewhere, looking for his cane.

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2012, 11:58:42 »
Not sure what it's been like lately.....but when I was there in Gagetown in 89 the temperature got up to 40 degrees a couple of days.  It was a very hot summer, and didn't rain very often.

I was the first guy to get a #1 cut, as I figured why not.  I was glad I didn't shave it completely, as even though I tan very well, a few of the guys who also received #1's had REALLY white heads.  We were told that if we sunburnt our heads too much to be able to wear our berets, it'd be considered a selfinflicted wound. ;)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2012, 12:31:15 »
I had that stupid mindset during basic.

"You're banned from shaving your head"

'Why?'

"Because we said so"

Obviously a stupid concept that shave heads on white guys means you're racist.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline RDJP

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2012, 17:08:51 »
Considering the burn a couple of the guys got on their heads that summer, I do see the point in leaving a bit of hair up top.   :nod:

But yeah, I've heard that mindset before too.

Offline Lerch

• The Guns, thank God the Guns!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2012, 17:36:47 »
Not to mention there's a few people out there like myself and my buddy Kovacs, that if we shaved our head shorter than #1, we'd have stripes on our heads because of folds on our scalps ;)
Stay frosty

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2012, 20:00:52 »
At least you won't be one of the ones sobbing into their pillows in the receiving barracks the first night because you lost your golden locks to the nasty, nasty barber......

Seriously dissatisfied I remarked to my Crse staff that I looked like a skin head (I am blond and blue eyed of German descent) and the haircut looked unprofessional (they did not shave the nape of the neck), they said nothing as they walked away but you could tell they were not amused.

They should go back to the old system of whatever is under your beret you can keep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTNY0_inK7M
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 20:16:18 by Get Nautical »

Offline RDJP

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2012, 21:37:14 »
Seriously dissatisfied I remarked to my Crse staff that I looked like a skin head (I am blond and blue eyed of German descent) and the haircut looked unprofessional (they did not shave the nape of the neck), they said nothing as they walked away but you could tell they were not amused.

Nope, you looked like a new recruit.