Author Topic: Statement by the MND on the death of the Charles D. Gonthier, C.C., Q.C  (Read 1121 times)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence
NR–09.062 - July 17, 2009

The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of the Honourable Charles D. Gonthier, C.C., Q.C., Commissioner of the Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC):

"I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to the Gonthier family and all of Charles' friends following his passing today. He was a dedicated Canadian who served his community and country with pride. 

Mr. Gonthier was appointed as Commissioner of the CSEC on August 1st, 2006.  His commitment to the rule of law carried him through a remarkable career in the provincial and federal justice system.  He served on the Québec Superior Court from 1974 until 1988 when he was appointed to the Québec Court of Appeal. The following year, he was appointed a Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada where he served with distinction until 2003.

Mr. Gonthier provided me with valued counsel, sound advice and judicious oversight on the activities of the CSEC and their compliance with the laws of Canada.  He will be missed."
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer