Author Topic: Career Progression and Rank Promotion  (Read 6982 times)

Offline csharding

• Rate Post
Career Progression and Rank Promotion
« on: July 26, 2009, 21:53:37 »
Hey Guys, I was just looking in to career progression and rank promotion as an Air Combat Systems Officer (former ANAV).  Now I know I'm a young officer (still an OC with a year left in school) but I was wondering if there were any links to regulations for promotions and such.  I have the pay scales (though I don't totally understand what's going on there) but I haven't been able to find anything on time in and merit boards etc.  My impression is that the first few (up to Captain) come for time in and being a god little officer but I was wondering what comes after, what sort of stuff are they looking for when you get to those boards.  Any official links would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Career Progression and Rank Promotion
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 21:57:45 »
You'll get LOTS of info when your career manager comes and talk to you, as soon as you go to the nav school, or hit your first operational unit.

Online Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 21:58:56 »
being a god little officer

The scales I'm looking at say you shouldn't feel like that for at least another 6 months.........[aww,..come on, it was too good to let go by]
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 22:00:50 »
 :-\

CFAO 49-12 gives the big picture (time in rank).

LFCO 29-12 has the course requirements by MOC, but there are a lot of "TBIs".  To be honest I found the chart hard to understand and came away knowing less...
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline prima6

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 19:20:46 »
Like Max said, you'll get lots of information from your career manager, but you won't see him until after you finish the ACSO course at 1CFFTS and are assigned to a community and even then it won't be until the career manager is visiting your unit.

I can't access any of the CFAOs from home, but when I'm back at work on Tuesday I can see about finding any links, etc. to relevant information on the merit boards.  You should be aware that different trades have different promotion requirements depending upon a multitude of factors.  As an ACSO Capt you'll need at least 3 of your last 5 PERs to have a promotion recommendation of Immediate.  Whether you get an immediate depends on how you rank on your unit.  From my experience usually the top 25-30% will get an immediate.  Obviously here we get into one of the ways in which the PER system isn't perfect as you could be on a unit with a lot of stellar people and not make the cut, whereas there may be another unit where you would have but you still don't have an immediate.  Also, it is fairly common that when you go to a new unit with an immediate from your last unit that you drop to ready on your first PER at the new unit.  This is part of why the 3 of 5 thing is built in.  How the PER system works (or doesn't work depending on your POV) is the subject of a book, but you may have already had some instruction on it, will get more on your ab initio ACSO course (whatever that course is) and there will be lots to learn by osmosis and by having to actually write PERs as a supervisor.

Once you get to the merit board you'll be ranked.  You may have heard of getting points for different courses and qualifications so this is where that becomes important.  Many things are assigned points such as degrees, EXPRES exemption, OPME, AFOD, second language profile, some courses (eg ASC, SANC for ACSO), etc.  The merit board looks at this and other things are ranks all those files that make it to the board.  Then it comes down to how many promotions are available and where you ranked.