Author Topic: US senator calls Canada "parasitic"  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Neo Cortex

• Rate Post
US senator calls Canada "parasitic"
« on: October 01, 2009, 16:24:58 »
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/09/30/11215771-cp.html

WASHINGTON - An American legislator called Canada "parasitic" on Wednesday for siphoning U.S. dollars to Canada with low prescription drug prices while his country does "all the innovation."

"One of the things that has troubled me greatly about our system is the fact that we pay more for pharmaceuticals and devices than other countries, and yet it's not really our country so much that's the problem, it's the parasitic relationship that Canada and France and other countries have towards us," the Tennessee lawmaker told Carolyn Bennett.

"Meaning that you set prices and unfortunately all the innovation, all the technological breakthroughs, just about, take place in our country ... you benefit from us and we pay for that and I resent that."

Bennett, a family doctor and one-time minister of state for public health, was one of five people testifying before the Senate special committee on aging. The panel, chaired by Democratic Sen. Herb Kohl and including newly minted Sen. Al Franken, was examining how successful health-care systems keep their costs low while maintaining quality care.

[The Canadian MP] seemed puzzled by Corker's remarks, reminding him that drug pricing was a global concern, not part of a plot by Canada.

"It's the drug companies, sir, and they're multinational - it's nothing about the United States of America," she told him.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 17:35:14 by Neo Cortex »

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: US senator calls Canada "parasitic"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 16:59:56 »
I wouldn't get too worked up about it. It appears that US legislators knowledge of Canada is inversely proportionate to the distance their home state is from the border.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Dennis Ruhl

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 17:03:22 »
Thoughts?

I still think of how I can get my hands on some of these parasitic priced drugs.

There was a compromise between the drug companies and the federal government.  Patent protection was extended for the drug companies and prices reviewed by the government.  The US government is unique among developed countries in not reviewing prices.  That's hardly our problem.
Banned for being a repeated administrative burden and not taking responsibility for his actions

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 17:10:05 »
Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn....the state that offers almost tax free status to pharmaceutical companies, will blame anybody that impacts on his income...he's been in big pharma's pocket from the get go and everybody knows it....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 21:28:12 »
They drag this one out every couple of years after they've gone through the regular list of excuses until they have nothing but their own ineptitude and graft to blame.

Fart in a windstorm.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 22:07:28 »
"It's the parasitic relationship that Canada and France and other countries have towards us."

How about the parasitic relationship Canada has had with American hippies, draft dodgers and deserters?

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 22:13:08 »
The character has been Anti-Canadian for quite some time.  It is part of his attacks towards Obama's proposed move towards "Canadian Styeled" healthcare.

Apparently we are like Bulgaria, in his McCarthyism mentality....

http://corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=NewsRoom.NewsReleases&ContentRecord_id=76DEEC2A-AE59-4A85-8CD2-96BC7F75D544

I also hope the final drug importation bill will focus on giving consumers the best possible information about the drugs they are buying, particularly information about which country produced their prescription drugs. When you go to a pharmacy you have a right to know whether the medicine you're buying is from our country or Canada or Bulgaria.

Yes, the old American made is better.  It is part of his schlock...

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 22:18:30 »
It is part of his attacks towards Obama's proposed move towards "Canadian Styeled" healthcare.

"Jack Webb Schools Barack Obama on Healthcare":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:39:12 »
Even more ironic would be when he finds out how many of those scientists developing those drugs are probably Canadians that were siphoned south with large amounts of greenbacks  ;).

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline VIChris

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 00:30:03 »
If he's upset at how cheap drugs are up here, he'd [hopefully] just keel over and croak if he saw the pricing south of the States.
Aspera Juvant!