Author Topic: Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ  (Read 305470 times)

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Re: Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ
« Reply #1075 on: July 31, 2018, 19:09:18 »
CBH99: Perhaps sensibly cost-efficient to pay companies small sums (by US standards) to make their bids as useful and realistic as possible, and to ensure they won't lose much financially--if anything--by making their best bid possible. Do we do anything similar in Canada?

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #1076 on: July 31, 2018, 22:47:37 »
Fair enough.  Providing them with sums of money to ensure their bids go through the process rather seamlessly does make sense, and probably does save them time & hassle.  Makes sense.

On the surface it just seems odd to give them money to design a ship that is already designed & in some cases, in the water.  But, your explanation makes sense.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #1077 on: August 09, 2018, 00:05:15 »
Alion Submits Final Proposal for CSC Program

Alion Canada, a wholly owned subsidiary of Alion Science and Technology, headquartered in McLean, Va., have submitted their final bid and compliance forms to the Canadian government for the Canadian Surface Combatant Program.

“We provide a world-class combatant that is proven, affordable, off-the-shelf solution. Our offering is focused on the Royal Canadian Navy’s stated requirements and will generate jobs and innovation across Canada,” says Chief Operating Officer Bruce Samuelsen. He added that Alion is ready today to work with Irving Shipbuilding and the Canadian Government to get production underway and ships in the water as soon as possible.

The Alion solution is based on the De Zeven Provinciën-class frigate— a proven NATO vessel, built by Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding, with more than 10 years of operational excellence.  Damen’s knowledge and design-for-production experience is made available to Canada through their key role as part of Alion’s team.

Alion’s combat system solution is based on the world-class capabilities of ATLAS-Elektronik and Hensoldt Sensors. ATLAS brings an outstanding, globally renowned open architecture Combat Management System that readily accepts new and evolving technologies. Hensoldt’s capability and experience in developing and fielding state-of-the art radars was central to meeting the unique Canadian requirements with a fielded, non-developmental radar. Other key suppliers include L3 Technologies Canada, Raytheon Canada Limited, DRS Technologies Canada Limited (DRS TCL) and Rheinmetall Canada Inc.

“Each decision we made for equipment selection and systems integration focused on delivering cost-effective solutions that meet the requirements while delivering robust Canadian content,” said Bruce Samuelsen, Chief Operating Officer for Alion. “Many original system suppliers are building systems in Canada, but our combat system partners are actually creating manufacturing jobs for Canadians.” In fact, Alion Canada provides the only domestic surface combatant ship design capability that will create additional high technology jobs through the CSC program, by including dozens of Canadian companies.

By selecting a ship with proven operational and combat experience, Alion’s solution also eliminates the risk associated with the typical lead-ship transition from design to production. “Our bid focused on reducing development and design activities, which delivers a lower overall cost,” said Samuelsen. “This is also significant from the standpoint of accelerating production.”

http://www.canadiandefencereview.com/news?news/2533
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice #2: Logistics Officer (Selected)
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018

Offline JMCanada

• Rate Post
« Reply #1078 on: Yesterday at 10:13:28 »
Could we open a poll to vote:

1. which team do you think will win  the CSC bid: Alion / BAE / Navantia-Saab (Dutch / Brits / Sp-Aussies) ?

2. Similarly ... which is YOUR preferred option?

Maybe it has already been done but I have not realized since I am new here.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1079 on: Yesterday at 11:12:22 »
Could we open a poll to vote:

1. which team do you think will win  the CSC bid: Alion / BAE / Navantia-Saab (Dutch / Brits / Sp-Aussies) ?

2. Similarly ... which is YOUR preferred option?

Maybe it has already been done but I have not realized since I am new here.

I'm down.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Ashkan08

• Rate Post
« Reply #1080 on: Yesterday at 13:53:00 »
http://www.navalreview.ca/2018/02/future-canadian-surface-combatant-the-only-option/

The lack of ice capability might be the only drawback the BAE type 26 frigate has.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1081 on: Yesterday at 14:15:14 »
http://www.navalreview.ca/2018/02/future-canadian-surface-combatant-the-only-option/

The lack of ice capability might be the only drawback the BAE type 26 frigate has.

I think I like the Alion bid better.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Ashkan08

• Rate Post
« Reply #1082 on: Yesterday at 14:24:30 »
I think I like the Alion bid better.
To be honest, I do too. Just giving a reason why the Type 26 might not be the best choice considering Canada's climate.