Author Topic: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS  (Read 497278 times)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS
« Reply #1900 on: Yesterday at 09:27:48 »
An unofficial position (although codified to varying extents in different Wardroom mess constitutions) held by a Sub-Lieutenant on board. Typically a senior NWO SLt, although some ships open up the position to engineering and log.

From a mess perspective, they help the SLt cadre speak as a unified group (with numbers that can sway many mess votes) and act as a liaison between the SLts and the other parties in the Wardroom. They typically also have control over a "Bull Sub Chit", which is a standing authority to spend a predetermined amount of mess funds per month for social events or the like (in reality often tightly controlled by the XO).

From a divisional perspective, if the Bull Sub is a senior NWO SLt they will often act as the Navigating Officer's 2IC/Adjutant/Enforcer/etc. to assign taskings, compile admin for the division, etc. In a FG ship with 10-15 NWO SLts it becomes an important role to allow the NavO to have time to complete their non-divisional duties.

I saw an SLt once with what looked like ‘antler’ over his 1-1/2 stripe on his NCD slip-ons, is that a visible identifier of the Bull Sub?

Offline boot12

• Rate Post
« Reply #1901 on: Yesterday at 13:16:07 »
I saw an SLt once with what looked like ‘antler’ over his 1-1/2 stripe on his NCD slip-ons, is that a visible identifier of the Bull Sub?

Likely yes. A number of Wardrooms in the past have voted in $10-20 of mess funds at some point or another to get stylized slip-ons with bull horns embroidered over the Executive Curl, which get handed down from one bull-sub to another.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #1902 on: Yesterday at 14:54:56 »
An unofficial position (although codified to varying extents in different Wardroom mess constitutions) held by a Sub-Lieutenant on board. Typically a senior NWO SLt, although some ships open up the position to engineering and log.

From a mess perspective, they help the SLt cadre speak as a unified group (with numbers that can sway many mess votes) and act as a liaison between the SLts and the other parties in the Wardroom. They typically also have control over a "Bull Sub Chit", which is a standing authority to spend a predetermined amount of mess funds per month for social events or the like (in reality often tightly controlled by the XO).

From a divisional perspective, if the Bull Sub is a senior NWO SLt they will often act as the Navigating Officer's 2IC/Adjutant/Enforcer/etc. to assign taskings, compile admin for the division, etc. In a FG ship with 10-15 NWO SLts it becomes an important role to allow the NavO to have time to complete their non-divisional duties.

So, my WAG that it was some kind of...loud air horn...was way off mark.   8)  Thanks for the info!
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1903 on: Yesterday at 15:08:54 »
Likely yes. A number of Wardrooms in the past have voted in $10-20 of mess funds at some point or another to get stylized slip-ons with bull horns embroidered over the Executive Curl, which get handed down from one bull-sub to another.

Thanks.

It definitely looked more like a caribou antler, but it was STJ, so maybe the ‘bull’ is a bull caribou in remembrance of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment’s battle and terrible losses at Beaumont Hamel?