Author Topic: Life of a Canadian Forces Medical technician  (Read 89003 times)

Offline Sierrafire

• Rate Post
Life of a Canadian Forces Medical technician
« on: February 16, 2010, 20:14:17 »
Hello all,

I have searched the best my computer skills allowed me and still need some questions answered(or guided to the page where they are answered!!)

So here it goes. say you have finished your BMQ and SQ and have returned from The JIBC and posted to a base for your on the job training...lets say CFB Petawawa.   How does a typical newbie med tech spend their days? What hours do they work?  Do they respond to emergencys on base and prepare the patients for transport to hopsital by a municiple service if need be?  I would love to be further educated on what the trade does on base..  Thanks for your patience and replys.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: Life of a Canadian Forces Medical technician
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 00:54:06 »
How does a typical newbie med tech spend their days? What hours do they work?  Do they respond to emergencys on base and prepare the patients for transport to hopsital by a municiple service if need be?  I would love to be further educated on what the trade does on base..  Thanks for your patience and replys.

They do nothing of the sort. On base, you may work in a CDU doing sick parade and patient care, and coverages of ranges and excercises. You will not be working as a "paramedic" (how insulting to real Medics) unless there is some sort of aid to civil power mission, which is the exception than the rule. Med Techs do thier best work out with the troops, usually overseas, on the seas or in the field. Most days are spent training, prepping supplys and getting ready to go places and do things.

Not every day is filled with adventure; but the ones that are, you will be glad you paid attention during the boring times.

more from others.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 15:37:17 »
What SFB said - not alot of running around in ambulances these days.  Maybe in Gagetown once in awhile out in the Trg area, otherwise it's mainly in garrison care, training, maintenance or exercises.

If you want cool ambualnce calls, you'd have to wait until you're doing MCSP on car or do some moonlighting (if you're actually around long enough to).

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Radar

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:14:05 »
Would this be generally the same at an Air Base? What would the differences be in the Navy Element?

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:46:41 »
What would the differences be in the Navy Element?

Off the top of my head......you might be on a ship.   ;) 
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:41:45 »
preface by saying "never been on ship"

On Ship, your the junior working one on one with a PA. As a medic you will responsible to the PA for everything. Literally everything, med records, med supply, initial screening of patients, coordinating appointments.

It would not be a stretch to say that it may not be the same, as all the army bases have moved to a CDU concept (which the air force bases have used for years) have have become heavily reliant on civilians to take care of most of the administrative duties.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:03:41 »
I am actually gonna jump in and ask (out of curiosity and to help the OP) what is a CDU?

Not everyone knows all the acronyms we (you) use day to day.. we need to remember to use "plain talk" when answering basic questions!
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:05:24 »
Care Delivery Unit
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:33 »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 01:36:25 »
Its what our Reg F medical system uses as a health care unit to provide first line support. Its a family practitioners office/walk in clinic with 1-3 MOs, 1-3 NP/PA's a couple nurses, 2-5 medics and civilians who take care of a group of about 1500 "clients" otherwise known as soldiers.

Offline Radar

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:41:50 »
preface by saying "never been on ship"

On Ship, your the junior working one on one with a PA. As a medic you will responsible to the PA for everything. Literally everything, med records, med supply, initial screening of patients, coordinating appointments.

It would not be a stretch to say that it may not be the same, as all the army bases have moved to a CDU concept (which the air force bases have used for years) have have become heavily reliant on civilians to take care of most of the administrative duties.

Thanks SFB, I appreciate the information, as well as your post regarding Med Techs in Afghanistan. It was quite informative. I am currently working on my fitness and then I plan on applying for Medic.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 20:57:05 »
Thanks,

And you really should apply now...you have everyday of the rest of your life to work on your fitness.

;)

Offline DiverMedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 22:13:30 »
I would just like to say that it doesn't matter what element you pick, you can end up anywhere.   I am Navy on an Army base.   I know Navy/Air that have never been posted to their respected element bases.

There is more to being a medic than working CDUs on the army bases.  CFH is the warehouse for medical kit, it is mainly medic run.  FdAmbs mainly support the troops, but there is also kit maintenance and vehicle maintenance that has to be done there as well.  Navy bases seem to offer more medical work, but you can also spend long periods of time away when you are posted to a ship.  But that is similar everywhere.  In the last 3 yrs, I have actually worked at my unit for about 10 months and been on my base for about 19 months.

Don't want to scare you off, just be aware of what you are getting into. 

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 07:32:58 »
I would just like to say that it doesn't matter what element you pick, you can end up anywhere.   I am Navy on an Army base.   I know Navy/Air that have never been posted to their respected element bases.

There is more to being a medic than working CDUs on the army bases.  CFH is the warehouse for medical kit, it is mainly medic run.  FdAmbs mainly support the troops, but there is also kit maintenance and vehicle maintenance that has to be done there as well.  Navy bases seem to offer more medical work, but you can also spend long periods of time away when you are posted to a ship.  But that is similar everywhere.  In the last 3 yrs, I have actually worked at my unit for about 10 months and been on my base for about 19 months.

Don't want to scare you off, just be aware of what you are getting into.

Let's be clearer...

1 Canadian Field Hospital (1 Cdn Fd Hosp) is a $40+ million multi-configuration, field-deployable, Role 3 hospital, not a CFH (Canadian Forces Hospital) as it does not provide health services in garrison, nor is it a warehouse for medical equipment.  1 Cdn Fd Hosp has Biomedical Equipment Technicians, Preventive Medical Technician and a large number of Medical Technicians in Treatment and Headquarters Companies, as well as clerks and technicians from at least four other Branches in Headquarters and Services Companies with variety of Health Services and Logistics Officers who command the unit and is not "mainly medic run".

Central Medical Equipment Depot (CMED) is a medical equipment warehouse which has a few Medical Technicians, Health Care Administrators, Biomedical Equipment Technicians and Pharmacists on its nominal roll, as well as civilian technicians, administrative staff and warehouse workers.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:41:49 by Simian Turner »
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline TimBit

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:04:24 »
Its what our Reg F medical system uses as a health care unit to provide first line support. Its a family practitioners office/walk in clinic with 1-3 MOs, 1-3 NP/PA's a couple nurses, 2-5 medics and civilians who take care of a group of about 1500 "clients" otherwise known as soldiers.

And in most cases I would say, works like a charm. Never had such a short wait time in a hospital in my life.

Offline Simian Turner

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:16 »
And in most cases I would say, works like a charm. Never had such a short wait time in a hospital in my life.

And by exception, if you are posted to Ottawa you could wait 3 months for an appointment!
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline cmac232

• Rate Post
med tech questions
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 22:03:42 »
i am interested in becoming a med tech.
i am considering either reserves or regular force.
if i pick reserves, am i allowed to complete all the training
like bmq, then borden, then chilliwack. then return home and
continue on with my civi life and serve as a reservist.
i am single and have a dog, if i serve reg force, would i have
to get rid of my dog? would i be gone too much?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: med tech questions
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 01:19:47 »
i am interested in becoming a med tech.
i am considering either reserves or regular force.
1.if i pick reserves, am i allowed to complete all the training
like bmq, then borden, then chilliwack. then return home and
continue on with my civi life and serve as a reservist.
2.i am single and have a dog, if i serve reg force, would i have
to get rid of my dog? would i be gone too much?

1.  No - BMQ would be done locally, it would be unlikely you'd go to Chilliwack, as PCP isn't the required level of training for a Res Med Tech.

2.  No - but you'd need to be able to get someone to look after them if you want to keep them.  Lots of people have good careers with pets.

Now - in accordance with rules in this forum (and if you want to go anywhere in the trade and military), use proper grammar, capitalization, sentence structure and punctuation.  That was very hard to read and when I was reading it, the voice in my head sounded like a 4 year old, not a teenager or young adult.  If I was your boss and you presented me with a memo looking like that, you'd have a problem seeing what you typed through all the red ink on it.

Welcome to Army.ca and good luck.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 21:10:07 »
1.  No - BMQ would be done locally, it would be unlikely you'd go to Chilliwack, as PCP isn't the required level of training for a Res Med Tech.

Small correction, mostly semantic. 

PCP IS indeed required for Res F Med Tech.  It is NOT required for Res F Med A.

The Res F has brought back the Med A designator for pers with the RQL3 / RQL4 qualification. If a Med A gains both the RQL3 and RQL4 Med A qualification (or the Reg F QL3) AND PCP qualification they are considered an apprentice Med Tech.  We are seeing more Res F Med A's doing the PCP (or gaining the qualification from the PLAR process) to become Res F Med Techs.

That is as far as they have figured out things right now.  They (D HS Pers) are in the process of rationalizing the RQL6 into a two part (?) RQL5 which when part I and II are completed will be the equivalent of the Ref F QL5A and the person will be a Res F Journeyman Med A.  If the Res F Med A then does AEC they will be granted the Med Tech qualification at the Journeyman level. Well at least that is the plan. We are also seeing more Res F Med A's doing the Reg F QL5 Med Tech Course.

The Res F also has a LPN stream now authorized as part of these changes, but I am not sure how all this going to turn out / be managed. The only think I know for sure is that the CF will not be training Res F LPN's and this will be granted via the PLAR process.

The whole goal is to clearly indicate who in the Res F has the same qualifications of their Ref F counterparts.  This has become important for tasking and employment purposes. 

If you need the message number that authorizes things  and explains the process let me know and I will send it to you.

Cheers,

MC

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 03:46:52 »
Learn a new thing every day...sounds like they still have to either do the PCP on their own dime or luck into a scheme where it's paid for them though, correct?

MM
MM

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 10:27:46 »
Pretty much...

One of the recruiting goals of the CFHS Res F is to find personnel who are already qualified on civilian street and then give them the military skills to make them employable in that field within the CF. Hence for Med Techs they are looking to recruit people with the PCP qualification (or something that can be PLAR'ed as equivalent) and then once done RQL3 / RQL4 they can be employed as we would employ a Reg F QL3 Med Tech both in domestic ops and expeditionary ops.

The Res F is also starting to fund more and more PCP candidates.  These are Med A's who have done the RQL3 / RQL4, with ideally high course standing, and wish to take the next step. They have no "hard" billets on the PCP but seem to be getting a few of their personnel on on ever course that is CF sponsored. Another thing I have heard them doing is paying for some program in Alberta (?) some sort of EMT (?) program that has PLAR status with PCP.  It is still by now means the rule that Res F pers are again PCP qualification but it does allow for people with the skill set from civi street, people who are keen and want good Reg F employment domestic and deployed, and people who are thinking about CT to the Reg F an option for additional training or skills recognition.

The largest issue with getting Res F personnel PCP qualified is getting them to take the number of months required away from their lives in civi street to go do the training. This is part of the reason that PCP has not been mandated for the Res F (the other parts being cost, seat availability, employment requirement, and ability to maintain skill set). Right now I am told if you are a reservist who has sound performance both in the home unit and on RQL3 / RQL4 and the CoC thinks that the cost of PCP is a sound investment for the CFMS and you want to do PCP training then the funds are available to convert you from a Med A to a Med Tech.  I am not in the Res F so I am not sure if this is true, but it is what I am being told.

Now... I will not get into the issues if I think PCP is even required for Med Techs or Res F / Reg F spot sharing for PCP as this are subjects one discusses in private.

Cheers,

MC   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:31:17 by MedCorps »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:57:36 »
The largest issue with getting Res F personnel PCP qualified is getting them to take the number of months required away from their lives in civi street to go do the training.

AEMCA is required to qualify as a Primary Care Paramedic in Ontario.
That seems to be the benchmark the CF is aiming for:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/hp-ps/mcsp-pmcc/aemca-eng.asp
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 13:40:12 by mariomike »

Offline RMT

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 23:57:19 »
Medcorps,

The program that is paying for Res F Med A to become Reg F QL3 Med Tech is what is more commonly referred to as "PCP Initiative." Everything you've stated in regards to the program is correct. The main incentive for the member is not only to become QL3 Med Tech qualified but the program allows for a class B contract while the member is attending school (for a maximum of 12 months, meaning it is normally offered during the 2nd of the PCP program here in Ontario) and then a class C contract for deployment on either domestic operations or overseas.

Also, through this program, the member can take the PCP program at any public of private college in Ontario. I don't know how the PCP program works in other provinces so I can only speak to PCP Initiative as it applies to Ontario Med A looking to attend an Ontario college.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:48 »
"Paramedic program benefits reserve units and CF:
HALIFAX, NS – Corporal Joshua Zruna, a Reserve medical technician serving with 33 (Halifax) Field Ambulance, recently became the third medical technician from his unit to graduate from the Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) program.":
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/news-nouvelles/story-reportage-eng.asp?id=2680

I believe "PCP Initiative" was discussed in another thread:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,36097.msg371225.html#msg371225
"Therefore, to be considered for this program, the candidate must be able to provide a reasonable guarantee that employment with a civilian ambulance service is probable, and that sufficient work is available to keep the licence or certification current and in good standing."

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 21:17:00 by mariomike »

Offline Boz519

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 16:43:48 »
why is that

Offline Simian Turner

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 17:35:13 »
Some CDUs are quite busy in Ottawa!

Offline Hunter

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 11:33:17 »
MC if you could post or send me that message number it would be much appreciated.  I have been trying unsuccessfully to find it in order to clarify the issue with some members of my unit. 

Thanks!
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
(Be patient and tough; one day this pain will be useful to you)
- Ovid

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 02:01:42 »
Which training phrase will med techs be working with the combat trades in the field?
Do they get posted right after the SQ?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 13:12:00 »
Which training phrase phase will med techs be working with the combat trades in the field?
Do they get posted right after the SQ?

There - fixed that for you.  You get posted after your QL3 is completed - it's not in a training phase, it's in your operational phase.

MM
MM

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 13:29:15 »
Which training phrase ...

"Here's some Cepacol....."   ;)

My apolgies to the Medtechs....I could not resist!!
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 17:14:22 »
Cepacol's out of the system...foot powder for everthing now  ;D.

MM
MM

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 17:20:53 »
Cepacol's out of the system...foot powder for everthing now  ;D.

MM

But it tastes awful. :P

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 17:22:56 »
Yeah - but most of the youngens these days are used to snorting powder anyway...

MM
MM

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2011, 03:56:20 »
what kind of transportation method does med techs use to bring a wounded man back to base for further treatment?

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 09:18:57 »
Back to base is a bit of a misnomer, but we will review the evacuation options.

There are a few options.

The most basic - Carry them without fancy equipment.  Carry them on an improvised stretcher. Carry them on a proper  pole stretcher.  This is hard work so distance is limited.  Place stretcher on a stretcher carriage, which is a thing with two wheels often called a Stollenwerk after the manufacture.  This again is a short distance, flat terrain, option. See the folding green thing with two wheels here: http://www.stollenwerk-koeln.de/dw_eng/index_eng.html

Ambulances - The LSVW Ambulance, The Ford F 450 Ambulance , The Bision Armoured Ambulance. This is the domain of the Med Tech and the primary means of land evacuation.

Helicopter - Most commonly the CH-146 Griffon Helicopter or the Chinook helicopter.  Med Techs work on these. If you are working with the Americans the Black Hawk is also quite common. Med Techs have worked on these.

Airplanes- Most, if not all, of our fixed wing aircraft can be used as an aeromedical evacuation platform with some conversion.  Med Techs work on these.

Sea - If you are working with the Americans you might find yourself on a hospital ship evacuating patients.

Then there are non-standard evacuation platforms which is pretty much anything you can load a casualty in to get them to care, but was not actually designed for casualty evacuation.  Overseas, in various locations,  I saw casualties being evacuated in everything from a donkey, to a home made wheel barrow, to a ATV, to a pick up truck, to a MLVW, to a light observation helicopter  (OH-58).

I hope that is of help.

MC

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 05:44:48 »
Thanks MedCorps :)

Do you get to travel  being a Medtech?

aesop081

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2011, 07:15:08 »

Do you get to travel  being a Medtech?

They do.

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 08:25:30 »
I got to travel lots...Calgary to Wainwright, Waniwright to Calgary (did those trips lots), Home to Sarcee, Sarcee to Home, Calgary to Suffield, Suffield to Calagary, Cornwallis, St Jean, Borden, Ottawa, Cold Lake, Whitehorse, 29 Palms, Pendleton, Croatia, Kingston, Fort Drum, Petawawa, Broughton Island, Gagetown, St John, Halifax, Montreal, Kabul via a number of places, Port au Prince, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Dauphin, Orangeville, Victoria, Eureka - the list is by no means complete, but I think you get the idea.

MM
MM

Offline nickanick

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:51 »
I got to travel lots...Calgary to Wainwright, Waniwright to Calgary (did those trips lots), Home to Sarcee, Sarcee to Home, Calgary to Suffield, Suffield to Calagary, Cornwallis, St Jean, Borden, Ottawa, Cold Lake, Whitehorse, 29 Palms, Pendleton, Croatia, Kingston, Fort Drum, Petawawa, Broughton Island, Gagetown, St John, Halifax, Montreal, Kabul via a number of places, Port au Prince, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Dauphin, Orangeville, Victoria, Eureka - the list is by no means complete, but I think you get the idea.

MM

Thanks for the detail reply.  :)

May I ask where have you been deployed to, as a Medtech?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2011, 13:48:06 »
Let me see - Croatia, Afghanistan, Haiti, Broughton Island (even though it's in Canada, it is very remote, so I call it a deployment, same with Eureka).  The spots in the States were visits for training purposes so I don't consider them deployments.

MM
MM

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2011, 13:52:19 »
Let me see - Croatia, Afghanistan, Haiti, Broughton Island (even though it's in Canada, it is very remote, so I call it a deployment, same with Eureka).  The spots in the States were visits for training purposes so I don't consider them deployments.

MM

Medtechs are in highe demand. My favorite saying is:

IF I was a Pl WO and had the choice of a fourth rifle section OR

a medtech and a good signaller....I'd take the medic and tthe signaller.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2011, 16:55:39 »
Medtechs are in highe demand. My favorite saying is:

IF I was a Pl WO and had the choice of a fourth rifle section OR

a medtech and a good signaller....I'd take the medic and tthe signaller.

The signaller was my bodyguard generally when I was at the platoon level, at least when the umbilical was cut from the platoon commander, then I was trying to keep up with the REALLY TALL platoon WO.

MM
MM

Offline m.k

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2011, 17:49:40 »

MM

What brought you to Orangeville?

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 22:04:10 »
What brought you to Orangeville?

2 rotations on my PA course.

MM
MM

Offline gmoney1984

• Rate Post
Career of Medical Technician
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 04:12:52 »
Hi,
I am currently interested in enlisting as a Medical Technician, and would love to hear some day in the life stories of the job.  I want to know the day to day of a med techs life, not only deployed but also at home.  Also, how often do they get deployed, for how long, and is it possible to request to ask to be attached to a combat arms unit?  Also how does their pay scale work?  I have done research about the profession but would like a more intimate view from an enlisted member. Thank you all for your time, any answers can either be pm'ed to me or just written in the thread.
Sincerly,
Kevin

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Career of Medical Technician
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 05:38:16 »
Did you do a search?  There's lots of info here.

P.S. We don't have "enlisted" members in Canada.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:46 »
P.S. We don't have "enlisted" members in Canada.

Sure we do, everyone in the CF is enlisted (definition: to enroll, usually voluntarily, for military service)

We just don't use the term within the CF to describe our noncommissioned members.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 12:08:48 »
Sure we do, everyone in the CF is enlisted (definition: to enroll, usually voluntarily, for military service)

We just don't use the term within the CF to describe our noncommissioned members.

Which means "enlisted" is not used within the context of non-commissioned members in the CF, and use of the term "enlisted" would be incorrect here...

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2012, 09:58:05 »
This may be old news. I only read it the other day in our news letter to retired members.

T-EMS has "re-instituted the joint field placement program with DND, allowing approximately 30 Med-Techs to be precepted in Toronto annually."

That's all it said.

I recall the original program. But, I'm not sure when it ended.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:12:53 by mariomike »

Offline MedTech32

• "They Call Me Mr.....wait they don't call anymore :("
  • Rate Post
Day to Day Life of a Med Tech
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2013, 21:34:46 »
Mods can you please pin this, I'm getting tired of repeating myself and I'm sure others are as well. 

Now I can't speak for all Med Techs, but generally if you're working at a CDU it's like this.

0700hrs Arrive for work and change into work dress
0715hrs, quick pow pow with the Master Corporal for last min changes to the plan
0725hrs, everyone is ready to go at their station, Lab, Treatment, Pharmacy/Stores etc.
0730hrs, let the masses in for sick parade this number varies from base to base
1000hrs,  :coffee: quickly cause someone with chest pain is about to walk in and cause you to forget about your coffee for the next hour if you don't
1200hrs, finish with chest pain guy/hand off to poor guy on duty for lunch run upstairs, nuke coffee, eat lunch.

For our CDU from 1300 to 1500hrs was the time allotted to us to complete our secondary duties and assignments and to perform any pers admin that needed to be completed.   After 1500hrs, all except the Duty Medic were dismissed for PT.  We also did weekly lectures which were given by a medic or clinician.

Just kidding not everyday is that exciting, only some days.  Most of your days in a Clinic setting, is seeing and treating patients, and keeping the place clean.  It's pretty boring stuff really.  Some days we'd fight over a few sutures or a minor surgery to assist on, just for something to do. 

Now this was my experience on an Air Force Base in a small clinic.   I can tell you though that it was pretty much the same when I went on work up and in the ROLE 1 in Afghanistan. 

Saying that, there are some differences to working under canvass and out of panniers.  Especially with having to do more with less, and trying to keep everything clean is a constant battle.

Working attached to a section/platoon/company is by far the best and I loved every min of it.  Although, talk about having to do more with less.  All you have is what's on your back and stuffed in your pockets. 

More from others?
In Arduis Fidelis
Militi Succurrimus

**Disclaimer**  Any and all posts are solely the opinion of the poster, and thoughts to the contrary are misguided.** Disclaimer**

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Day to Day Life of a Med Tech
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:48 »
Mods can you please pin this, I'm getting tired of repeating myself and I'm sure others are as well. 

Now I can't speak for all Med Techs, but generally if you're working at a CDU it's like this.

0700hrs Arrive for work and change into work dress
0715hrs, quick pow pow with the Master Corporal for last min changes to the plan
0725hrs, everyone is ready to go at their station, Lab, Treatment, Pharmacy/Stores etc.
0730hrs, let the masses in for sick parade this number varies from base to base
1000hrs,  :coffee: quickly cause someone with chest pain is about to walk in and cause you to forget about your coffee for the next hour if you don't
1200hrs, finish with chest pain guy/hand off to poor guy on duty for lunch run upstairs, nuke coffee, eat lunch.

For our CDU from 1300 to 1500hrs was the time allotted to us to complete our secondary duties and assignments and to perform any pers admin that needed to be completed.   After 1500hrs, all except the Duty Medic were dismissed for PT.  We also did weekly lectures which were given by a medic or clinician.

That's pretty much the basic routine for all first line support Med Techs in garrison, as the mission is to provide health care for the masses. And that begins at the opening of the clinic doors, and ending when the last uniformed member walks out. In Petawawa, sick parade can range from the usual couple hours to all day 0730-1600 on occasion. The majority of clinicians (Military and civilian doctors, the nurses, and the PAs) start their booked appointments at 1000 and go to 1500.

Except for the chest pain example, of course. As the CF is full of fit and healthy people whom live lifestyles free of vice, and whom always maintain ideal weight and eating habits, we rarely ever see anyone suffering from cardiac related chest pain. And there are no coffee breaks in the military.   >:D

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: Day to Day Life of a Med Tech
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 13:49:08 »
And there are no coffee breaks in the military.   >:D

I'm a civilian now and only get a coffee break in theory...when did CDU's start forcing people to not work through their breaks  >:D?

MM
MM

Offline duli83

• Rate Post
what is it like being a medical technician
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2015, 19:24:04 »
What kind of life do you live as a medical technician? What is the daily routine/training like?
How hard is to get promoted compared to other units/branches?
How often do you relocate as a NCM?
I am 36years old have been working as an athletic therapist / EMR for the past 6years. Am I too late?

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: what is it like being a medical technician
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2015, 22:43:46 »
I am 36years old have been working as an athletic therapist / EMR for the past 6years. Am I too late?

Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=87496.0
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:05:36 by mariomike »