Author Topic: Advice about my first posting. [Merged]  (Read 22463 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Advice about my first posting. [Merged]
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 22:16:26 »
 :blotto:

Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 07:09:08 »
All we are saying is give peace a chance that there are different types of postings, each dependent on time, situation, reason, etc.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

TFLY

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 07:43:47 »
:pop:

That made me laugh out loud MedKAWD....:)  Thanks! 

Offline MedKAWD

• Rate Post
  • "Cheeseā€¦ milk's leap toward immortality."
    • Army.ca Homepage
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:09 »
That made me laugh out loud MedKAWD....:)  Thanks!

At least one amused customer a day, thats my quota!  :nod:
"...and then God sprinkled dinosaur bones everywhere, cause he thought it would be funny." - Genesis 1:24b

Offline MasterInstructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 20:02:54 »
I have another question and hopefully this time it can be answered easily :)

It looks like move might be paid by CF or not, I will find out in a month or so and let you all know.

If I sell my house while I am on BMQ and if my posting is not restricted (they would pay for the move) could I get my costs reimbursed or do I have to sell it after my message and talking to Brookfield Relation Services?

I have an offer waiting right now but I dont wanna throw away thousands of dollars in commission etc. because I did not wait 4 weeks.... If they decide not to pay for the move, I am ready to pay the commission etc. out of my pocket...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 21:52:29 »
I'd say that is one for your IRP rep. 

Now, having said that...I have a friend who was on a restricted posting, sold his house during that, and later had his legal fees, etc that is covered by the IRP reimbursed almost 9 months later.  That was back in the fall of '06 (house sale date) and winter of '07 (reimbursement date of funds) so it was several years ago.  Check for CURRENT info from the IRP folks, or in the FY 2010 IRP booklet (it wasn't out yet when I looked last week).
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:48 »
EITS, I don't think the IRP Manual changed from last year.  I get the 2009 version on their website.

I'm not sure if this quote helps:

8.1.03 Time limitations

CF members may claim benefits in this chapter provided that the closing date of residence sold or purchased is no more than one year before or two years after the:

- change of strength (COS) date; or
- the date of the shipment of HG&E to the new place of duty

whichever is later.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline MasterInstructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 23:01:50 »
Just had a chat with the clerk, thei comment was that of the PAT and course will take more than 9 months, move will be granted, again, depends on my next unit :) more to follow...

Offline MasterInstructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 01:59:12 »
Ok Here is the official word from CFFS Esquimalt. This only applies to CFFS Esquimalt.

Once you have 6 months in Canadian Forces and completed a week long NIP Course you are allowed to request to live ashore.

First you request a posting for post-QL3. If you get a posting for Esquimalt after your QL3, then you submit your paperwork to get your restrictions removed on your current posting. Then you can have unrestricted move for yourself and your dependents.

Offline willellis

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 10:30:16 »
I can confirm, but also add to that. I was speaking with my boss, and he said that there if you are married, and your spouse lives in the greater Victoria region, than you can possibly get off base even sooner than the 6 months. This is fairly new, and my understanding is that the base is trying to get rid of the 6 month rule. As for my source of this info, I have been looking into it for the last week, and after speaking to the BPSO, as well as numerous members through my COC, they gave me the same info that was on the last post, as well as what I have mentioned.

Offline jonathancharrier

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 12:36:38 »
Good day,just a question more out of curiosity than anything, I've been offered the position of traffic technician in the rcaf , I begin bmq Sept 7th. Just curious, in general when do you find out where your first posting is after bmq and training ?

Offline Cbbmtt

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 12:45:45 »
After training.
Another day in paradise.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:10 »
Good day,just a question more out of curiosity than anything, I've been offered the position of traffic technician in the rcaf , I begin bmq Sept 7th. Just curious, in general when do you find out where your first posting is after bmq and training ?

First BMQ, then your occupation training.  Sometime near the end of your occupation training, you will find out where your first posting will be.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me with an email address!  I don't bite........

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 13:21:54 »
To add to the above,

There's Traffic Techs posted to every base and wing in the CF and as a new QL3 you may have the opportunity to select any of them for your first posting... depending on the current needs of the CF.  Normally, towards the end of your QL3 and before you talk to the career manager, you'll be presented with a list of locations and number of QL3 Traffic Techs that they need - if you select from that list you'll probably get your choice.  If you have another suggestion and can argue persuasively, the career manager may grant you an alternate posting.

That said, 1/2 to 3/4 of the Tfc Techs in the CF call 8 Wing Trenton home - if you want to go there you'll probably get it.

Offline jonathancharrier

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 13:37:45 »
Maybe a stupid question but what does ql3 mean ?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline chloeD33

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2015, 12:08:10 »
Out of curiosity... Do you get a choice... Or any choices as to where you prefer to be posted?

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2015, 12:40:44 »
You are able to provide preferences for postings.  Those preferences are one factor considered, along with the needs of the service, the need to provide individuals with experience, and a myriad of other factors.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline chloeD33

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2015, 23:13:06 »
Oh ok thank you!!

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:27 »
Mariomike posted

There's Traffic Techs posted to every base and wing in the CF and as a new QL3 you may have the opportunity to select any of them for your first posting... depending on the current needs of the CF.  Normally, towards the end of your QL3 and before you talk to the career manager, you'll be presented with a list of locations and number of QL3 Traffic Techs that they need - if you select from that list you'll probably get your choice.  If you have another suggestion and can argue persuasively, the career manager may grant you an alternate posting.

That said, 1/2 to 3/4 of the Tfc Techs in the CF call 8 Wing Trenton home - if you want to go there you'll probably get it.  Your 4's package will be done later; if you're at an Air Base it'll be done at your unit, if not then you'll probably do it in Trenton.

Cheers,

Good information here, but I feel the need to amplify and clarify a phrase from Pistos - "If you have another suggestion and can argue persuasively..." Please - for those young soldiers reading this, step very lightly when it comes to "arguing persuasively" You have not yet earned the right to argue. You DO have the right to present mitigating factors for or against a decision WITH assistance from possibly a Sr NCO who knows how to do it properly and professionally...

Make sense?
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Cbbmtt

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 13:49:56 »
It's a good idea not to be confrontational during training. Regardless of some of my classmates having higher marks, they didn't get their ideal posting.

Saying that, I didn't get my first posting due to a family medical hardship from someone else on my course.

Just do your best, work hard and show interest as to where you want to be posted.

Another day in paradise.

Offline BinRat55

???

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Lead by example.
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 09:23:48 »
It's a good idea not to be confrontational during training... Just do your best, work hard and show interest as to where you want to be posted...

Exactly!

Also, when you (we) are asked our posting preferences, make sure it is in fact reflective of your true desires and put on your MPRR. CMs do look at these. They are used in planning for the following few years, so as up-to-date as you can be the better. Gagetown Gagetown Gagetown is not advisable. If you want Gagetown, but East coast is a good second, try Gagetown, Greenwood, Shearwater. This shows the CM that you want Gagetown, but you're willing to play ball - you're flexable. A triple identical posting pref will say "Hmmm... if not Gagetown, then anywhere... Wainwright it is!"
Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Thisisstressful

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2018, 11:25:23 »
Alright so here's the deal
I finish my DP1 on March 28, and I'm getting posted from Borden to Edmonton.
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice because there is no one at my unit who is able to answer my questions.

I was told that my common law spouse isn't allowed to come with me to Edmonton from Borden
And I don't really understand.

I was under the impression that when we get there we will be in a hotel for our house hunting trip and than in a hotel until our possession date given that it's not a crazy long length of time so I don't understand why they are saying my spouse can't come with me .

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:34 »
I was told that my common law spouse isn't allowed to come with me to Edmonton from Borden

This may help,

Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=25612.350
18 pages.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 11:34:20 »
Alright so here's the deal
I finish my DP1 on March 28, and I'm getting posted from Borden to Edmonton.
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice because there is no one at my unit who is able to answer my questions.

And I don't really understand.

I was under the impression that when we get there we will be in a hotel for our house hunting trip and than in a hotel until our possession date given that it's not a crazy long length of time so I don't understand why they are saying my spouse can't come with me .

Look at your posting message. Does it say "restricted" or "prohibitted" anywhere in the title? If it does, there is your answer.

If it does not say that, does your spouse appear anywhere on your MPRR as your dependent? If not, that is the likely the source of your issue.

If it is neither of those two...see your CoC for an explanation.