Author Topic: Vibram FiveFingers  (Read 44687 times)

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
Re: Vibram FiveFingers
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2011, 22:09:56 »
Start slow, I did 13k the first week I had them since they are so fun to run in and I was hurting for days.

You should run more than a km the first time you use them, and then only increase by 10% of your pre-use distance per week.

Other than the calf pain, the risk of Achilles rupture is increased due to the workload on that tendon.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline big45-70

• Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2012, 14:48:35 »
I just picked up a pair of these for myself.  I just wanted to verify if they are good to go for BMQ?

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2012, 15:03:44 »
I just picked up a pair of these for myself.  I just wanted to verify if they are good to go for BMQ?

Highly recommend against it. I'm only a year out of the Mega, but anything besides actual running shoes were a no-go. Feel free to give it a try, but be prepared for some backlash for it.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline 2010newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2012, 15:49:45 »

There were a couple guys on my BMOQ last summer that used them. Some of the PSP staff wore them also. They had to deal with jokes at their expense about the shoes, but no one said they could not wear them.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2012, 15:21:26 »
You should run more than a km the first time you use them, and then only increase by 10% of your pre-use distance per week.

Other than the calf pain, the risk of Achilles rupture is increased due to the workload on that tendon.

I'll second this.

I tried running just under a KM in my Minimus MT10s and was a little sore but not too bad.

Just ran a bit over 10Km for my second run.   My time average suffered horribly and my calves and hips feel like I rubbed lava on them, and it's getting worse.

I went full retard and am suffering for it.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2012, 19:24:16 »
I've noticed that with the VFFs, some muscles in my right foot (the arch) get strained more often and I limp around for about a week.  Any recommendations on how to speed up the healing process? 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2012, 21:28:27 »
Your going to find all sorts of muscles start to ache that you didn't even know you had.  I found doing some calf/achilles stretches always helped before and after.  You will also want to stretch out some of the muscle that clips into your shin from your foot (flick your feet up and up down seated or find some stairs and do raises while standing over the edge).

As for healing, a little A5 after a run never hurt.  I'm also, more so, a cyclist and use Spider tech tape http://www.spidertech.com/ fairly often in my rides and found it worked wonders on long runs as well.  I can't tell you why it works, just that it works miracles!

cheers,

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA