Author Topic: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]  (Read 194675 times)

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:49:57 »
Seeing as 'we' were reminded several times that this topic seemed to have hijacked another one, I thought I would start it's own. For those on the DIN, latest 'changes' to SSI requirements:
http://marcom-comar.mil.ca/ssi-ism/default-eng.asp
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Retired FDO

• Rate Post
  • Swallowing the anchor after 32 years.
Re: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:33 »
How about those of us not on the DIN?
A Veteran-whether active duty, retired or Reserve- is someone who at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to "The Country of Canada" for an amount of "up to and including my life"   Author Unknown

Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:21:52 »
I got my pee pee wrist slapped for posting it previously but then again, I have big 'wrists' so here goes again:
Levels.
1.         The SSI will consist of the following four levels:
                        (1)        Level I (gun metal) - 365 - 729 sea-days (1-2 years);
                        (2)        Level II (bronze) - 730 - 1094 sea-days (2-3 years);
                        (3)        Level III (silver) -1095 - 1459 sea-days (3-4 years); and
                        (4)        Level IV (gold) - 1460 or greater sea-days (4+ years).

2.         The initial sea-day requirement of 1 year (365 days) has remained unchanged. However, qualifying days required to achieve Level II, III and IV have all been reduced by one year.

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:50:36 »
...qualifying days required to achieve Level II, III and IV have all been reduced by one year.

In other words, some senior folks looked over their records, felt they deserved better, and lobbied for change.

Shades of the Army's ill-fated "Warrior" badges - the Gold standard was what General So-and-so achieved...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 14:49:25 »
In other words, some senior folks looked over their records, felt they deserved better, and lobbied for change.

Shades of the Army's ill-fated "Warrior" badges - the Gold standard was what General So-and-so achieved...

Or some folks looked at the overall numbers and felt that the distribution was a bit off, and that a slightly larger percentage of CF personnel should be awarded the higher and highest levels.

I see no reason to jump straight to accusations of misconduct.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 15:45:05 »
Or some folks looked at the overall numbers and felt that the distribution was a bit off, and that a slightly larger percentage of CF personnel should be awarded the higher and highest levels.

No acusations of misconduct - every organization has formal and informal means to lobby for change.

But this does smack (somewhat) of the Lake Wobegon syndrome - where everyone is above average.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 19:33:33 »
I'll be curious to see what happens when the grievances start to roll in when folks feel they're not getting the same credit they've calculated for themselves.  I haven't seen any discussion of how they're going to account for all the legitimate days at sea for which there is no record.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 19:37:33 »
I'll be curious to see what happens when the grievances start to roll in when folks feel they're not getting the same credit they've calculated for themselves.  I haven't seen any discussion of how they're going to account for all the legitimate days at sea for which there is no record.

They can have all my sea days, no strings.  That way I'll never qualify for this Boy Scout badge.

Offline Chunks

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 21:00:32 »

From the previous tread on the same topic, I clearly remember it was, like you said, a percentage question... something like only 20 sailors qualified for the last "rank" of the SSI
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 22:44:29 by Chunks »

Offline Jaydub

• SAAC-S
  • Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 21:39:08 »
Does anyone know when this will take effect?  Is this operational sea time, or just time posted to a ship?

Offline Klinkaroo

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 21:55:00 »
As far as I know it is actual days at sea, unlike sea pay that is calculated on time posted. If it were time posted everyone in the navy would pretty much be gold by now. Most peoples first ship posting is longer then 4 year...

Klink

Offline Jaydub

• SAAC-S
  • Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 22:20:25 »
As far as I know it is actual days at sea, unlike sea pay that is calculated on time posted. If it were time posted everyone in the navy would pretty much be gold by now. Most peoples first ship posting is longer then 4 year...

Yeah, that sounds about right.  But it's going to be hard for them to calculate every little sail that you do. SOVPAT, Sea Trials, Salty Dips, etc.  Based on that, it would probably just include major exercises and deployments; stuff that gets written into your UER.

Offline Chunks

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 22:51:19 »
Yeah, that sounds about right.  But it's going to be hard for them to calculate every little sail that you do. SOVPAT, Sea Trials, Salty Dips, etc.  Based on that, it would probably just include major exercises and deployments; stuff that gets written into your UER.

We already pretty much exhausted the discussion on the calculation problem here...
http://Forums.Navy.ca/forums/index.php/topic,92470.345.html

Offline navypuke

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 04:53:22 »
Has anyone heard any news on this lately, its seems to have died down. And now the DIN link no longer works! I wonder if thats a sign that they learned it would ebe to to difficult to do and just quietly scrapped it.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 08:43:46 »
I certainly hope so.  But you're right it seems to have fallen off the grid.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 09:07:47 »
I happened to be talking to someone who is working on the project, apparently audits are going slowly. I was told there is a MARGEN coming out on it soon.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:43 »
I believe it.....it'll be a nightmare to track it from years ago....

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline navypuke

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 14:48:18 »
Things are going more slowly than anticipated eh. Well they said they are going to start giving them out in Jan 2011. And with Xmas leave around the corner that barely gives them 2 months to finalize. Yeah I don't see this being done on time, if at all. Any one work at NDHQ cause I thought they've already audited like 3000 people.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 19:06:55 »
Honestly, let's get them out to the easiest ones (the young/new guys) right away.

Us old coots don't need an extra badge to lose to show our experience/skill. 

The young'uns need some recognition before us old guys do, and it'll be easier to calculate the days for a kid with 1 posting to a ship, than a guy like me with 6 different sea-going postings on 5 ships over the span of 18 years....

Recognize the efforts of the new guys, give them something to put up on their uniform....we don't give the SSM(NATO) anymore, so having something for 'em would be good.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 07:46:04 »
/\ Agreed... More Junior & More often!
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline kratz

Spring is still hiding under the covers.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:27 »
ref: CANFORGEN 001-11

It looks like the roll out of the SSI will now be delayed until April this year, at the earliest. The mesage indicates they intend on having the SSI out before Battle of Atlantic ceremonies this year.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 18:41:07 »
Wondering if we will see another CANFORGEN in April!!
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Sub-normal

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 00:38:57 »
Even with the delays it is makes you wonder why the pretty shiny things seem to make it out fairly quickly yet the operational clothing promised by the NICE program still hasn't come out yet.  Seems like some mixed priorities.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:39 »
Even with the delays it is makes you wonder why the pretty shiny things seem to make it out fairly quickly yet the operational clothing promised by the NICE program still hasn't come out yet.  Seems like some mixed priorities.

Well look at it this way...do you want the clothes that are designed to keep you warm and dry to actually do their jobs or would you rather settle for the first piece of gear they find at Value Village?
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 08:48:19 »
I was just talking to a clerk and was told that the CANFORGEN may have been released in a little haste (I am not saying this is the gospel truth people). Until numbers from people's MPRRs are correlated with specific ship's schedules by the "Team" (wherever they are) and then entered into Monitor Mess...I mean Mass, then members cannot really check (IAW the end of para 3 of the CANFORGEN).
He suggested that this may not be the case until at least mid February.
Again, this is what is being relayed to me by someone who seems to be quite a competent clerk. (even if he does wear green!)
For some reason, I have been getting MANY emails from afar (I just got posted to Ottawa) from people asking me about this.
If I hear anything a little more solid, I will pass it on.
George S. Patton