Author Topic: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]  (Read 194676 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]
« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2017, 22:58:51 »
Ah, the flexed arm hang...

Still harder than the FORCE test (chin-ups = death, right?) so that wouldn't do ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2017, 23:47:56 »
There are some crew patches that have been "procured" or so I've heard.  I personally say this is unconfirmed RUMINT because NO ONE would wear a patch that wasn't blessed by the Boss.  No one! 

* Especially, a patch would NOT be worn by a crew with a RAAF skipper.    :whistle:

I just about died when I read the one on the right. That's hilarious.

A few years back I had a patch made up reading "f*** it, we'll do it live" in response to a couple of less than ideally run exercises. I still have it kicking around somewhere.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #327 on: September 12, 2017, 07:58:35 »
I just about died when I read the one on the right. That's hilarious.

A few years back I had a patch made up reading "f*** it, we'll do it live" in response to a couple of less than ideally run exercises. I still have it kicking around somewhere.

Ya the goat one was a gooder.  Better for morale than the ATF-I patch we were supposed to wear but couldn't get (all the HQ wankers had them on their CADPAT though).

Did you get to wear it on ex?  That's rich.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #328 on: September 12, 2017, 14:14:26 »

I hear you Pusser.  The sea has its dangers and complexities.  So does Army and Air Force trg.  And having done both I defiantly felt/feel more at risk in Army trg.  Live ammo and poor driving conditions are dangerous things.

Yes, Army and Air Force training have their dangers and complexities (never said they didn't), but the key difference is that Army and Air Force commanders have much more ability to reduce the danger under most circumstances.  A commander can suspend the use of live ammo, prevent people from dangerous driving conditions or ground aircraft if necessary (doesn't mean he will, but he can).  The dangers of the sea can be unpredictable.  Weather forecasting is not 100% and even if you know it's coming, you can't always avoid or outrun the storm.  Even the coxswain can't stop a hurricane.

Then, there's the Kracken rising from the depths...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #329 on: September 12, 2017, 14:34:13 »
The dangers of the sea can be unpredictable.  Weather forecasting is not 100% and even if you know it's coming, you can't always avoid or outrun the storm.  Even the coxswain can't stop a hurricane.

As a sea kayaker on the left coast, nervously venturing off shore on regular occasions, I totally get that...

Especially the Kracken thing (or a humpback whale)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #330 on: September 12, 2017, 17:19:17 »
Yes, Army and Air Force training have their dangers and complexities (never said they didn't), but the key difference is that Army and Air Force commanders have much more ability to reduce the danger under most circumstances.  A commander can suspend the use of live ammo, prevent people from dangerous driving conditions or ground aircraft if necessary (doesn't mean he will, but he can).  The dangers of the sea can be unpredictable.  Weather forecasting is not 100% and even if you know it's coming, you can't always avoid or outrun the storm.  Even the coxswain can't stop a hurricane.

You're using a red herring argument. If sailing was as dangerous as you say, the CAF would be giving you Risk Allowance on top on SDA. Clearance Divers and Submariners get extra pay because of the risks involved. In fact, sailors are the only ones other than CANSOF (after a quick look through CBI205), that retains their environmental allowance while deployed in an area that gets Hardship and Risk.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2017, 19:03:19 »
In fact, sailors are the only ones other than CANSOF (after a quick look through CBI205), that retains their environmental allowance while deployed in an area that gets Hardship and Risk.

Aircrew also get to keep their allowance (which is lower than land/sea duty allowance).

I have had more "oh crap" moments with the RCAF, than I ever did with the Navy (surface and subsurface). 

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2017, 19:05:07 »
DH beat me to it...

Actually, I keep my AIRCRA too if I am in a designated flying position.  Why would I loose that for flying in a less secure airspace like Syria?  Using IMPACT as an example, I got the same RA as those who are Under The Dome.  Flying over 100hrs/month my AIRCRA would equal about 3 bucks an hour.  In Iraq and Syria. Over ISIS.  $3/hr. It ain't all that great for the difference in actual RISK when compared to the risk any Domer faced.  We earn every tax-free penny of it over there. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 19:19:39 by Eye In The Sky »
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2017, 19:27:39 »
You're using a red herring argument. If sailing was as dangerous as you say, the CAF would be giving you Risk Allowance on top on SDA. Clearance Divers and Submariners get extra pay because of the risks involved. In fact, sailors are the only ones other than CANSOF (after a quick look through CBI205), that retains their environmental allowance while deployed in an area that gets Hardship and Risk.

I can assure you we do not receive SDA while deployed in areas that get hardship, risk and FSP.  We do accumulate points, like the Army, but we not receive the prescribed monetary sums. 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

jollyjacktar

« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2017, 20:05:17 »
Agreed.
I can assure you we do not receive SDA while deployed in areas that get hardship, risk and FSP.  We do accumulate points, like the Army, but we not receive the prescribed monetary sums. 

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2017, 20:18:11 »
Can confirm.  SDA ceased while on deployment as soon as FSP started.

As an aside, all of my near miss and other bad experiences came during trials and other lower readiness times.  The pre deployment work period is the only time you ever get enough priority to get all your stuff fixed and repairs/maintenance done.  Otherwise you're at the bare minimum with hand me downs and duct tape and finding stuff like check valves installed backwards, motors wired across phases, etc on first start up post refits.  TRPs are exciting times! Unless we're at war, we're more at risk from our own stuff failing catastrophically.  I was more relaxed bobbing off Syria than when we were sailing off Halifax during trials because I trusted our equipment was all working after five months of deployment and constant maintenance.

I'm completely indifferent to the SSI though; it can be useful to figure out what kind of person you are dealing with though. People that use it as a dick measuring contest generally aren't worth listening to, so I use mine as an arsehole detector.  ;D

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #336 on: September 12, 2017, 21:34:30 »
I have had more "oh crap" moments with the RCAF, than I ever did with the Navy (surface and subsurface).

Well, of course.  More pilots around.

:P
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #337 on: December 31, 2017, 03:34:08 »
Hey got out in 2011, never recieved a SSI and I don't even know if I'm eligible for one but who can I talk to about finding out how many days at sea I have, so I can send something to Transport Canada as proof for my Seafarers Discharge Book (being a civilian deckhand / Coastguard etc.) need proof of min 60 days at sea.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 03:57:03 by Get Nautical »

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2017, 11:37:34 »
All you need is a letter from a current or potential employer stating you need a discharge book and they'll give you one and a CDN number.

I had 0 sea days when I got one.

Even just proof you're registered for a tc approved course would probably suffice as you need a CDN for the certificate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:44:05 by Not a Sig Op »

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2017, 12:59:54 »
Already have the following necessary ticks in the box to go to sea as a deckhand on a civilian vessel or Coastguard ship
- CDN (Candidate Document Number) (essentially a civi version of your military service number)
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Seafarers Discharge Book
- Valid Passport
- Criminal Record Check
- Marine Basic First Aid
- STCW 6.1 Basic Safety
- STCW 6.2 Proficiency in Survival Craft Other Than Fast Rescue Boat
(STCW is the new training standard of the old MED courses for work internationally)
- Vessel Personel With Security Responsibilities
- Fall Protection / Fall Arrest
- Confined Space Awareness (minimum) better to have Confined Space Entry / Monitor
- Enform H2S Alive (a good to have depending on where you go)
Went to NSCC for Bridge Watch Rating Program which gave me most of the courses above except H2S Alive. Transport Canada requires 60 days of sea time if you go to school for Bridge Watch Rating or 6 months of documented sea time and challenge the Bridge Watch Rating 100 question multiple choice test. A few details I left out but my question is below.

Who could I talk to at DND about finding out if they did or could do a SSI calculation on me for the 4 years out of 5 I was in, posted to ship.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 13:24:06 by Get Nautical »

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #340 on: December 31, 2017, 14:06:14 »
Already have the following necessary ticks in the box to go to sea as a deckhand on a civilian vessel or Coastguard ship
- CDN (Candidate Document Number) (essentially a civi version of your military service number)
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical
- Seafarers Discharge Book
- Valid Passport
- Criminal Record Check
- Marine Basic First Aid
- STCW 6.1 Basic Safety
- STCW 6.2 Proficiency in Survival Craft Other Than Fast Rescue Boat
(STCW is the new training standard of the old MED courses for work internationally)
- Vessel Personel With Security Responsibilities
- Fall Protection / Fall Arrest
- Confined Space Awareness (minimum) better to have Confined Space Entry / Monitor
- Enform H2S Alive (a good to have depending on where you go)
Went to NSCC for Bridge Watch Rating Program which gave me most of the courses above except H2S Alive. Transport Canada requires 60 days of sea time if you go to school for Bridge Watch Rating or 6 months of documented sea time and challenge the Bridge Watch Rating 100 question multiple choice test. A few details I left out but my question is below.

Who could I talk to at DND about finding out if they did or could do a SSI calculation on me for the 4 years out of 5 I was in, posted to ship.

Sorry, misunderstood what you meant by "for my discharge book".

Side note, if you haven't paid for a H2S alive course, the only place it's required is the oil industry, supply boats and may be tankers are the only place you'd need it.

If you're planning on applying for a job at the coast guard, it's a waste of $200 and a day of your time.

Anyway,  back to the SSI talk.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 19:42:30 by Not a Sig Op »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #341 on: December 31, 2017, 14:59:54 »
I believe Sea Days are tracked on your MPRR, do you still have a copy? If not, you can ATIP one as your records are still held by DND: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/transparency/atippr/Pages/Access-information-military-files.aspx#tab2c

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2017, 15:44:19 »
I believe Sea Days are tracked on your MPRR, do you still have a copy? If not, you can ATIP one as your records are still held by DND: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/transparency/atippr/Pages/Access-information-military-files.aspx#tab2c
I received a copy of my mprr when I got out, no sea days were on it as I recall, could it of been added later before it went to records?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 16:19:00 by Get Nautical »

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2017, 17:38:44 »
They are tracked in Monitor Mass but don't show up on your MPRR; not sure what database it's on (something in HRMS?)

Aside from the overall count, if you had minimum sea day requirements during various OJPRs you might be able to use those as well for a minimum, (if you kept the OJPRs with the signatures).

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #344 on: December 31, 2017, 22:04:49 »
Have you talked to your nearest transport Canada office and asked what they'd accept as documentation?

If you have an MPRR that shows you were posted to ship for several years, that may be sufficient (No guarantees, but it couldn't hurt to ask)

Individual assessors have a surprising amount of freedom and autonomy when assessing things like this.

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #345 on: January 01, 2018, 01:01:01 »
Has to specify days at sea and not in port, will probably need a letter or some such. I have a work term lined up to get the required days but in any case I'm hoping the answer will help someone else transitioning to civilian life.