Author Topic: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]  (Read 194687 times)

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Sea Service Insignia (SSI) [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2011, 10:05:33 »
Thank you Chief Stoker for all of your help.

Still missing paperwork for some of my attach postings, but they won't be enough to bump me up a level so it's not a big concern.  With the final tally there will eventually be a Bronze SSI on my blues!  :D
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Online Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2011, 10:24:56 »
The SSI webpage is now updated with a link to the database for sea day counts http://mshq.mil.ca/dmarp-dperm/dmarp2-dperm2/ssi-ism/default-eng.asp. The online vertification forms are located at http://halifax.mil.ca/N1/N1/monitor_mass.htm. All are on the DIN only.

Good stuff Chief! Much appreciated! All tallied up and I think its pretty accurate as well.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2011, 13:16:35 »
Here's something interesting.  I've looked up my record in Monitor Mass and I have enough sea days to qualify.  However, I figure I've received credit for at least 80 days I didn't earn (I was landed), while at the same time, I have not received credit for at least another 130 days, which I can prove.  If the days I wasn't at sea are deducted from the total, my level doesn't change, nor does it change if they are replaced by the days I actually did go to sea.  So, I really don't have to do anything as I will receive the badge to which I'm actually entitled regardless.

However, not reporting the overage, while claiming the shortage, will put me over the top for the next level.  Other than my own personal integrity, what's to stop me from doing this?  Are we expecting individuals to step forward and report that they were not on board for the times in question, even if it means they get knocked down a level or even denied the badge altogether?

One of the prime reasons for not using pay records (i.e. payment of Sea Duty Allowance)to calculate entitlement for the SSI was supposedly that SDA did not actually prove you were at sea for the time in question.  However, I have proof that the chosen method has the same flaw.  We have an ethical dilemma. :-\
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline NavalMoose

• Rate Post
  • "Life in a blue suit"
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 12:06:56 »
I handed in my RN Docs and got credit for 85% of 1232=1047, that with my Canadian sea days of 1209 puts me over the top for gold or even platinum if such a thing existed. 6 years in a tin can.

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2011, 19:59:34 »
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=3727

Vice-Admiral Dean Mcfadden To Preside Over Inaugural Presentation Of Insignia Recognizing Time Served At Sea

CMS MA11.001 - March 1, 2011

OTTAWA – The Commander of Maritime Command, Vice-Admiral Dean McFadden, will present eight Canadian Forces (CF) members with the Sea Service Insignia (SSI) at a ceremony marking the launch of the distribution of the new badges.

Available to all serving CF members regardless of environment, the SSI is a visible and formal recognition for those who have spent significant amounts of time at sea.  Four levels of the insignia have been produced, the first level being awarded to members with 365 sea days.  Those eligible for the fourth insignia will have upwards of 1460 days at sea.

Details are as follows:

When:              Thursday, March 3rd at 10 a.m.

Where:            Conference Room D, 2 North Tower
                        National Defence Headquarters
                        101 Colonel By Dr
                        Ottawa, ON
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2011, 20:12:10 »
I didn't get my invite. 

I guess handing over a silver doodad to an Air Force type wouldn't make for a good photo op, eh?   ;D

jollyjacktar

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 20:30:16 »
I signed my sheet yesterday.  What a crock.  I did take the time to go through the days at sea for each ship I was assigned to.  I came up with a number at least 200 days less than the  official tally.  My first ship as a real sailor for example was a very short stint, did not sail, but they have credited me with 15 days at sea.  I honestly have some lack of believability with this whole process.  Maybe I'm really getting senile, but their version of days at sea do not correspond with what I could come up with.  I am over scored big time and am looking at a boy scout  badge of my own that I will have to don after all down the road.  Seems almost like a forced "lets make everyone feel good with some bling" smoke and mirrors parlor trick.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 21:22:52 »
I signed my sheet yesterday.  What a crock.  I did take the time to go through the days at sea for each ship I was assigned to.  I came up with a number at least 200 days less than the  official tally.  My first ship as a real sailor for example was a very short stint, did not sail, but they have credited me with 15 days at sea.  I honestly have some lack of believability with this whole process.  Maybe I'm really getting senile, but their version of days at sea do not correspond with what I could come up with.  I am over scored big time and am looking at a boy scout  badge of my own that I will have to don after all down the road.  Seems almost like a forced "lets make everyone feel good with some bling" smoke and mirrors parlor trick.
I will figure out who you are eventually! I don't know why your *** is in such a tizzy over this(The SSI thing). Nothing is perfect but it gives some of our young guys/gals bragging rights and though it is of no use for guys like you and me, we can pick out the true sea-farers in a crowd I am sure. Let it go!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 23:33:15 by Pat in Halifax »
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Navalsnipr

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2011, 14:28:35 »
I didn't get my invite. 

I guess handing over a silver doodad to an Air Force type wouldn't make for a good photo op, eh?   ;D

I would gather it will be 4 NCM's and 4 Officers, one at each level.
-----------------------------------
Don't Run, You'll just die tired.
CF Sports Hall of Fame - Combat Shooting
CF Elite 50
Queen's Medal for Champion Shot (RegF) - 2009

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2011, 14:57:16 »
Let us hope that for appearances sake that all four officers have already received the Curl, lest we have a hodgepodge of uniforms at a press conference.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2011, 10:28:53 »
They gave out the SSI yesterday to 10 pers randomly selected in the dockyard.  I had a close look at the badge, the cloth and metal badges are done very nicely. As well there is another on line calculator you can access. Go to the monitor mass page on the Marlant webpage and click on the anchor symbol, it goes straight to the new database. It hasn't been officially rolled out yet, and they have it sort of hidden.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Online Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2011, 12:23:21 »
Looks good to me - I'm just waiting for my "Slept in a ditch/hole Service Insignia".

I've got a couple weeks on a U.S. Navy Gator?  Can I get that time accredited?
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 12:46:38 »
Looks good to me - I'm just waiting for my "Slept in a ditch/hole Service Insignia".

I've got a couple weeks on a U.S. Navy Gator?  Can I get that time accredited?

No doubt you guys are doing just that ::)
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2011, 17:31:45 »
I didn't get my invite. 

Sorry, it's just you :)
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/navy_images/cms_images/news_photos/IS2011-8000-01.jpg

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2011, 20:30:35 »
No doubt you guys are doing just that ::)

Not sure if that's sarcastic or not, but the Combat Action Insignia got killed. I'm not a big fan of giving bling to people who are just doing their jobs though.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 22:42:02 »
*shrug*

I didn't ask for it, but if they're giving it, and I'm supposed to have it on my uniform, I'll wear it.

The thing that pleased me more than anything in recent times WRT Naval uniforms was (finally) the addition of a Canadian Flag to the shoulder of our NCD Jacket.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 22:46:53 »
The thing that pleased me more than anything in recent times WRT Naval uniforms was (finally) the addition of a Canadian Flag to the shoulder of our NCD Jacket.

I don't see many people in NCDs.... but it baffles me that you guys didn't have a Canadian flag on there!

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2011, 08:27:05 »
it baffles me that you guys didn't have a Canadian flag on there!

That's because we all wear two nice shoulder boards that say CANADA. In the Navy, we expect everybody can read :) .

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:57 »
That's because we all wear two nice shoulder boards that say CANADA. In the Navy, we expect everybody can read :) .

I forgot that everyone in the world can read English and doesn't identify countries by the flag they have on their person.  :)

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2011, 17:21:14 »
Well, the people we let onboard our ships all do ;) . And when we go in harbours where they don't all, we usually go with a great big grey thing that has a nice red and white flag at the stern and a little red mapple leaf on the funnel - just in case they can't figure it out.

All this said, I kind of like the look of the NCD with the little flag too, and the little flag we sometimes put on the back of our baseball caps.

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2011, 20:41:18 »
I dug out my Tilley hat that has one on it even.  :-)

Maybe I'll even get to wear it!

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2011, 14:23:36 »
They gave out the SSI yesterday to 10 pers randomly selected in the dockyard.  I had a close look at the badge, the cloth and metal badges are done very nicely. As well there is another on line calculator you can access. Go to the monitor mass page on the Marlant webpage and click on the anchor symbol, it goes straight to the new database. It hasn't been officially rolled out yet, and they have it sort of hidden.

and according to the powers in charge of this project the calculator still is not official.  By the way I checked it, fixed one thing by moving a line of code and then realized there was a bigger problem.  It drops your start and end month giving you zero credit for them.  For example enter 7713 18 Feb 2000 to 16 Jun 2002 and it will not show you the credit for Feb and Jun.  In this case Jun is not a problem as ATHABI was in refit but for Feb there is time missing.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 14:34:26 »
Go to the monitor mass page on the Marlant webpage and click on the anchor symbol, it goes straight to the new database. It hasn't been officially rolled out yet, and they have it sort of hidden.

It must be hidden well;  I can't even find the Monitor/MASS page on the Marlant DWAN site...

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 15:04:36 »
I am not sure what Chief Stoker means either. I don't see any kind of 'link' there. That said, if your unit is not utilizing MM yet, you will need to see your clerks. I just left CFNES where we used it and we all had accounts. I get to Ottawa (ironically) and we still are not using it though I believe CFSU is. I just sat with the clerk and unless you are familiar with some of the MM tools, it is hopeless to try to talk someone through it.
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton