Author Topic: Wanted: Auditor General of Canada, Salary: $322,900  (Read 7142 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Wanted: Auditor General of Canada, Salary: $322,900
« on: October 01, 2010, 14:38:18 »
Just spotted this in the Canada Gazette for 2 Oct 10:
.... NOTICE OF VACANCY

OFFICE OF THE AUDITOR GENERAL OF CANADA

Auditor General of Canada (full-time position)

Salary: $322,900

The Auditor General of Canada is an Officer of Parliament who is independent of the government of the day. The Auditor General audits federal government departments and agencies, most Crown corporations, and many other federal organizations, and reports publicly to the House of Commons on matters that the Auditor General believes should be brought to its attention. The Auditor General of Canada is also the auditor for the territorial governments and reports directly to their legislative assemblies. The Auditor General’s powers and responsibilities are set forth in the Auditor General Act, the Financial Administration Act and a number of other statutes passed by Parliament.

The Public Service of Canada and how it serves Canadians has changed in the last decade. As Canadian society and the broader global context have evolved, so have the expectations placed upon the public service. One of the most significant changes has been the move for clearer accountabilities for both politicians and public servants. With the introduction of the Federal Accountability Act in 2006, deputy ministers are designated accounting officers for their organizations. In addition, the establishment of the Department and Agency Audit Committees (DAAC) is an important governance change, as each federal department and agency now has independent audit committees.

The successful candidate should have a degree from a recognized university, preferably with a specialization in accounting, and should be a highly competent, seasoned chartered accountant and auditor. The preferred candidate should possess experience in auditing complex organizations including attest audits and value for money audits and human resources management optimization. Proven leadership and management experience at the senior executive level, in large, complex private or public sector organizations, with demonstrated success in strategic management and organizational change, particularly in circumstances where financial and/or human resources constraints are major factors, are required.

The selected candidate should have a good understanding of the role, responsibilities and policies of the Office of the Auditor General and its relationship to Parliament and Government, as well as the Canadian Parliamentary system, how Government operates, the roles and responsibilities of Deputy Heads, and the management environment within the Public Service. Knowledge of current Canadian and international developments within the accounting and auditing fields, including International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Standards on Auditing (ISA) and the implication for governments and Crown corporations, as well as the experiences of other jurisdictions with practices such as accrual-based appropriations and environmental auditing, is necessary. The ideal candidate should have a good understanding of the legal framework governing financial management in the federal government, including the role of the Financial Administration Act and Parliamentary appropriations. An appreciation of the actions taken by the Government of Canada to strengthen the management framework and the implications for financial management is essential.

The suitable candidate should possess demonstrated strong analytical and managerial skills as well as the ability to understand and respond strategically and reasonably to complex situations and multiple interests. In addition to being able to evaluate and measure results, and to identify, analyze and propose long-term strategies, the successful candidate should have the ability to anticipate the short- and long-term implications of his/her actions and strategies. The ability to work constructively and collegially with multiple stakeholders, such as Parliamentarians and the Public Service, as well as the ability to communicate effectively, in writing and orally (with the requisite self-confidence and presence of mind), is required.

The chosen candidate will demonstrate decisiveness, as well as have integrity, tact, sound judgement, and organizational awareness. He/she will be a visionary with strong professional ethics and strong interest in public service. Being a team player, he/she will also be action-oriented and will possess a constructive approach.

Proficiency in both official languages is essential.

The successful candidate must be prepared to relocate to the National Capital Region or to a location within reasonable commuting distance and must be prepared to travel as required across Canada and abroad.

The Government is committed to ensuring that its appointments are representative of Canada’s regions and official languages, and reflect the diversity of Canada’s population.

The preferred candidate must comply with the Ethical Guidelines for Public Office Holders and the Guidelines for the Political Activities of Public Office Holders. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments Web site, under “Reference Material,” at www.appointments-nominations.gc.ca.

The selected candidate will be subject to the Conflict of Interest Act. Public office holders appointed on a full-time basis must submit to the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner, within 60 days of appointment, a Confidential Report in which they disclose all of their assets, liabilities and outside activities. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s Web site at http://ciec-ccie.gc.ca.

This notice has been placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates for this position. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment.

Further details about the organization and its activities can be found on its Web site at www.oag-bvg.gc.ca.

Interested candidates should forward their curriculum vitae to michelle.richard@odgersberndtson.ca. To discuss the opportunity, please call Michelle Richard, at 613-749-9909.

Bilingual notices of vacancies will be produced in an alternative format (audio cassette, diskette, Braille, large print, etc.) upon request. For further information, please contact Publishing and Depository Services, Public Works and Government Services Canada, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0S5, 613-941-5995 or 1-800-635-7943.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: Wanted: Auditor General of Canada, Salary: $322,900
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 16:19:20 »
Would Grade 11 Math be an asset, or a liability? Hmmm...
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 16:23:23 »
I'm guessing someone in the office might have access to a calculator if needed.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 16:44:55 »

moot point in your case unles you're fibbing on your resume. 8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 13:52:29 »
Holy Hair-splitting, Batman!  From Hansard:
.... Mr. Massimo Pacetti (Saint-Léonard—Saint-Michel, Lib.):  Mr. Speaker, in this day and age, when equality and freedom of speech should not be an issue in Canada, this Conservative government is again showing us that equality is a meaningless term.  Last week, in a job posting for the position of Auditor General of Canada published in national newspapers, the government specifically stated that it is looking for a chartered accountant.  I would like to say that CGAs and CMAs are recognized for their integrity, ethics and educational qualifications, including their audit capabilities.  It is unfortunate that these qualifications have not been included in this job posting, and that the Government of Canada has adopted this hiring policy that discriminates against 75,000 CGAs and 50,000 CMAs.  It should be noted that all accountants are accredited by provincial accounting organizations.  It is disconcerting that the Conservative government is ignoring three accounting designations recognized across Canada ....

For the record, here's what the posting said:
.... The successful candidate should have a degree from a recognized university, preferably with a specialization in accounting, and should be a highly competent, seasoned chartered accountant and auditor ....
When I see "should", I kinda think MORE qualifications will only be more likely to be considered not next.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 19:06:41 »
Perhaps there is a reason that Mr. Pacetti believes the advertisement for Auditor General slights CGAs and CMAs.  Let's go to his parliamentarian info.

PACETTI, Massimo, B.Comm., F.C.G.A.

Ahh, yes . . . Mr. Pacetti may suffer from that condition (in the words of a CA of my acquaintance talking about CGAs and CMAs) known as "pencil envy".
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.