Author Topic: VAC and Tinnitus  (Read 73578 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Tinnitus Anyone approved, without having prior med docs?
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2015, 15:40:29 »
what's a bpa lawyer, and where do we get one?

Oh no....who handled your appeal to VRAB?

There should have been instructions on your first denial letter telling you how to get in touch with BPA.  Or follow mariomike's link.

Call them Tuesday...

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2015, 16:03:26 »
Oh no....who handled your appeal to VRAB?

There should have been instructions on your first denial letter telling you how to get in touch with BPA.  Or follow mariomike's link.

Call them Tuesday...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't get a denial letter, my claim was approved. I do have another issue with VAC however, that I could have use of an advocate who know the system.

Thanks.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2015, 19:27:42 »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't get a denial letter, my claim was approved. I do have another issue with VAC however, that I could have use of an advocate who know the system.

Thanks.

No,  that one's my fault...I'm on my phone and thought I was replying to Jdhfx. 

I'm assuming you've had no success with your issue by dealing with VAC.  There's no harm in calling BPA to see if they can help.  I've got nothing but good things to say about the folks at BPA.

Offline Jdhfx

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2015, 22:33:37 »
Bureau of Pension Advocates. It is free legal advise for DVA aplications 1-877-228-2250

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2015, 22:46:19 »
More than just legal advice.  When you've been denied on your first application, BPA lawyers will represent you on appeal.  They have access to all the VAC case histories, and are your best shot at winning an appeal.

Offline iltis1994

• WITH EVERY NEW LEVEL...COMES A NEW DEVIL
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2015, 14:45:39 »
I HAD MINE APPROVED AT A BIG 3% PLUS 1% QOL.I STATED IN MY PAPERS THAT MY TINNITUS IS ALL THE TIME AND NEVER REALLY LETS UP.I GUESS THE WAY I ANSWERED THE TECHNICIAN'S QUESTIONS MADE IT SEEM AS THOUGH IT WASN'T SERIOUS.I WASN'T GIVEN ANY OF THE PAPERS FROM THE AUDIOLOGIST THOUGH TO SEE WHAT SHE STATED.I WENT BACK LAST WEEK AND SPOKE TO THE AUDIOLOGIST AND EXPLAINED TO HER WHAT WAS GOING ON AND SHE TESTED ME AGAIN AND PRESCRIBED HEARING AIDS TO ACT AS MASKERS.I WAS AWARDED TREATMENT BENIFITS IN MY ORIGINAL DECISION.HAS ANYONE RAN INTO THIS BEFORE AND WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME?I CLEARLY STATED I SUFFERED 24/7 IN MY RIGHT EAR AND I THOUGHT THEY GAVE THE VETERAN THE "BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT"?THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO QUESTION THE DIFFERENCE IN OUR TWO STATED OPINIONS,THE QUESTIONS THEY ASK ARE VERY MISLEADING AND DON'T ALWAYS PAINT AN ACCURATE PICTURE OF WHAT WE ACTUALLY SUFFER...I.E.ANSWER ONE QUESTION "WRONG" AND IT MAKES IT SEEM LIKE YOU ARE HARDLY BOTHERED WITH THE TINNITUS.I BELIEVE THEY OWE ME 10% PLUS QUALITY OF LIFE...REALLY HATE TO BEG FOR SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED 21 YEARS AGO AND WAS 100% THE FAULT OF A MILITARY TRAINING EXERCISE WHICH THEY AGREED WITH 100% ALSO...HATE TO BE MADE TO FEEL LIKE A BUM.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 14:49:29 »
iltis1994

Perhaps you have tinnitus, but do you really need to SHOUT! in CAPITAL letters?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline iltis1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2015, 14:54:13 »
shhhh....sorry...never even noticed....maybe I am CYBERDEAF....LOL...LMFAO.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2015, 22:10:21 »
If you have continuous tinnitus, and have been prescribed a hearing aid to act as a masker, then you are absolutely supposed to be rated at 10% for tinnitus.  Call BPA and initiate a Departmental Review.

Offline iltis1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 07:06:08 »
hey Occam,my audiologist sent the receipts in to VAC.do you know if I do have to call a BPA lawyer etc?or will VAC the connection with the h/automaker order and adjust my settlement accordingly?any advice would be greatly appreciated.it also took from last September 9Th/2014 until July 22/2015 and a few "*** kicking" emails to get my case going...really disturbed by the whole process.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 18:04:02 »
I can say that in my own case, VAC did not proactively adjust anything as far as the disability rate went.  It took a Departmental Review at the minimum, raised by BPA.  There's no harm at all in calling BPA, there are no limits on the number of DRs you can have.

Offline iltis1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2015, 22:10:41 »
Occam,so if I don't contact BPA then I shouldn't expect to see any action on the
Increased award from 3% to the 10 I am entitled. WOW...what a system...we fight our own countrymen for what we are obviously entitled to...and they set on their asses and play with veterans lives and futures... Is it really 2015 and is this the canada I signed and swore to protect and serve?

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2015, 01:55:16 »
I'm not sure of the inner workings at VAC, to be honest - all I can tell you is that I had to do several DRs between 2006 and 2010 to get where I am.  It could be that the people paying out the incoming treatment bills aren't tasked with the job of triggering a review of your disability level.  Things may have changed since then, but the call to BPA is a free one, and they can advise you better than anyone else.

Offline iltis1994

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2015, 15:15:12 »
thanks for all the advice Occam.i sent a private message to BPA on my vac account and i'll wait and see what I get for a response from that,if no go than i'll make the call.i'll be glad when the world markets finally collapse and I can go back to growing a garden and raising some cattle.

Offline loadiecc150

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2016, 23:16:59 »
I'm in the process of fighting my denial for tinnitus and hearing loss. I was checked out by an audiologist for hearing loss but she sent me to my GP for the tinnitus. After reading this thread it seems I need tk get an audiologist to do the tinnitus paperwork.  I have constant ringing in both ears, which makes me have to turn the volume up on the TV to hear it. I worked on the ramp for 15 of my 20 years and the last 5 were flying on the Airbus with no hearing protection at all.

I called the BPA here in Edmonton and was told they will start right away on getting the info they need. I asked her about not having tinnitus when I retired in 2009, I was told tinnitus doesnt come on overnight less you have ruptured an eardrum or something similar. When I told her my trade she laughed and said Traffic tech was one of the trades with the worst hearing in the Military.

Lets see what happens.

jollyjacktar

Offline bwatch

• Long may your lums reak
  • Rate Post
  • This is me in Montreal
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2016, 00:13:28 »
I have the new ones with Bluetooth. They are nice when driving, you can talk while driving and don't have to hold the phone to your ear but in my case, I find they still make my T louder and now I'm starting to hear a low hum, more like an electric motor and the sound of a chirping bird. It's a pain in the *** I tell you.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2016, 20:18:35 »
I just got 11% for tinnitus and 5% for hearing loss. I only had 3 hearing test over 2 years to confirm. The last one was the one done by Helix sealed the deal.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline Gronk

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2016, 19:06:37 »
Short experience: I once helped a RCN vet who served on a ship for about 4 yrs in the late fifties w/ his claim for tinnitus. Anyone who knows many seniors can tell you that tinnitus is very very common in the older generation, vet or not. Wasn't very confident that his claim would be successful, but he got a good percentage on his first try. Was very pleased for him.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2016, 10:44:06 »
I have the new ones with Bluetooth. They are nice when driving, you can talk while driving and don't have to hold the phone to your ear but in my case, I find they still make my T louder and now I'm starting to hear a low hum, more like an electric motor and the sound of a chirping bird. It's a pain in the *** I tell you.

Blackwatch, do you think the low freq hum is from the maskers themselves (themself? That doesn't look right ..anyway) or are they not quite the right frequency for you? I'm waiting for my appt with the audiologist to try some out. The bluetooth would be handy as I do a lot of driving.

Thanks.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2016, 15:32:22 »
You can also apply for the device that attaches to your TV or Tuner so that your Bluetooth hearing aids will get the audio directly.

If your Shaw/Bell/whatever cable/satellite receiver is Bluetooth enabled, you can pair your hearing aids. I have DISH which is enabled.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2016, 18:20:27 »
Anyone have issues being assessed by the CF specialty clinic? I've had tinnitus for a while now and decided to get hearing tested after I was sitting in front of my supervisor who was talking at a lower tone and all I could see was his lips moving but couldn't hear a thing. This has been going on for a while with my hearing and I had to ask multiple people to repeat themselves because I can't hear them very well. I went to the clinic and did the hearing testing,but the test they did wasn't exactly simulate in the work setting where there is some background noise and I seem to have issues hearing. The CF test said I've had no hearing loss. Should I look into doing a hearing test at a private clinic since the CF clinic did say they don't test all the spectrum.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2016, 08:04:30 »
Anyone have issues being assessed by the CF specialty clinic? I've had tinnitus for a while now and decided to get hearing tested after I was sitting in front of my supervisor who was talking at a lower tone and all I could see was his lips moving but couldn't hear a thing. This has been going on for a while with my hearing and I had to ask multiple people to repeat themselves because I can't hear them very well. I went to the clinic and did the hearing testing,but the test they did wasn't exactly simulate in the work setting where there is some background noise and I seem to have issues hearing. The CF test said I've had no hearing loss. Should I look into doing a hearing test at a private clinic since the CF clinic did say they don't test all the spectrum.

A standard hearing test will not detect anything but hearing loss.  You need to ask them to refer you to an audiologist for a tinnitus assessment, which is much different than a simple hearing test.  I have tinnitus and only mild hearing loss when measured by the standard hearing test.  You have to go back and insist on a tinnitus assessment.

Offline Szczep

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:36 »
meni0n,  go to your mil doc and ask for referal.  If he/she gives you a hard time, then ask that they put a 'refusal' note in your file.
Worked for me, though I had to use it only couple of times with mil doctors.  Most of them were good.