Author Topic: Background Check (Merged)  (Read 25019 times)

Offline darwin

• Rate Post
Background Check (Merged)
« on: November 08, 2010, 18:16:50 »
I am filling this out and I am unsure whether to put my volunteer position in the 5 year employment verification.

I know it says employment, but on the main application it asks for job, vol, etc.

thanks in advance

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: quick application help (dnd personal data verification)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 18:20:33 »
Employment would indicate that you were Paid.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline darwin

• Rate Post
Re: quick application help (dnd personal data verification)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 18:28:45 »
thanks a lot for the reply
I knew that until I was looking at the app, it threw me off a bit. 

Offline Gulruthina

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:32:32 »
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question in regards to the Employment History section of the form.

There is a section in the Employment History where I have to write my past work history up to (5) years and on the right side it ask of me to write my employer contacts, email addresses and an option where it states, "May we contact = yes or no". My question is, if I put  "May we contact? = No", would that affect my application in any way?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Personal Data Verification - Employment History
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 23:40:58 »
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question in regards to the Employment History section of the form.

There is a section in the Employment History where I have to write my past work history up to (5) years and on the right side it ask of me to write my employer contacts, email addresses and an option where it states, "May we contact = yes or no". My question is, if I put  "May we contact? = No", would that affect my application in any way?

Thanks,
Mark

It means it will take longer to verify the information you are telling the CF.

Offline mm3212

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 17:08:13 »
My question is regarding the pervious employer background check, I read through the "References Megathread" but I wanted to get an updated post 2009 answer from a recruiter as that was the last time it was mentioned. 

Basically, I have submitted my application online and am waiting for further contact.  I know at some point I will have to provide five personal/professional references, but my question is for the employment history background check do I have to provide a telephone number for every single employer I listed under the Employment History on my initial online application, or just for the most recent one or two?  I ask simply because some of my previous places of employment were upwards of five years ago and have either gone out of business, or the company was sold and moved, and or my managers/bosses have long since moved on. 

Any clarification on what I need to provide in terms of the employment history background check would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Master Corporal Steven

• Rate Post
Re: Employer Background Check
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:13:27 »
Good day,

When providing information on past employer's, supervisors etc do your best to locate the pone numbers and contact information for them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:17:26 by Warrant Officer Gregory »
Forces.ca

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 08:30:44 »
Had an employer that no longer exists. I listed the name of my supervisor at the time, the location of the head office, and a central switchboard phone number. All of which post 2011 no longer exist.

There were no issues.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:36 »
MCpl Steven/WO Gregory

Don't forget the use of the "Statutory Declaration" where one can explain any unknown facts or further clarify information on the application.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline mm3212

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:55:29 »
Thank you all for your rapid information and assistance.  I was a little worried after I submitted my application when I realized a few of my past employers no longer existed!

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 20:54:31 »
The application no longer has a box where you can check off whether or not they can contact employers. I have not been able to find a discussion that says whether or not they will call current employers or not, now that the boxes aren't there. Does this mean that they are called by default or that they aren't called at all.

I have nothing to hide at my workplace, but I don't want my employers to think me a flight risk if my application is rejected.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Contacting current employers
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 21:36:15 »
The application no longer has a box where you can check off whether or not they can contact employers. I have not been able to find a discussion that says whether or not they will call current employers or not, now that the boxes aren't there. Does this mean that they are called by default or that they aren't called at all.

I have nothing to hide at my workplace, but I don't want my employers to think me a flight risk if my application is rejected.

Which application or form are you referring to?  The CF likes its' paperwork, so there are many many many forms.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Valhrafn

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 21:45:13 »

I filled out the Personal Data Verification forms within the past two weeks. In Employment History there is a section that says If current employer, may we contact? with three possible boxes to check off: Yes, No, and Not Applicable. I've filled this same form out a couple of times for different applications. You may want to ask for the proper forms from your Recruiting Centre. I had mine e-mailed to me and was able to e-mail them back.
Recruiting Centre: Hamilton
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Soldier
Applied: 23 July 2015
Medical: 24 February 2015
Interview: 11 August 2015
Merit Listed: -
Position Offered: Infantry Soldier, 1 Septmeber 2015
Enrolment/Swearing In: 9 September 2015
BMQ: 21 September 2015

Offline GreenWood

• Rate Post
  • Currently in the dreaded process of a CT
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 21:46:35 »
I would inform your employer just in case, better he knows if ever he gets a call then if he doesn't.

They called 2 of my employers..

Offline Dnas17

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 22:33:20 »
I also filled out the personal data verification form that ValhrafN referred too and also had the option to check said boxes. This was just a week ago for my interview
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: February 10 2014
First Contact: February 13 2014
CFAT : April 10th 2014 (Passed)
Medical : February 25th 2015 (Declared Fit)
Interview: March 4th 2015
Swear In Ceremony: September 2nd 2015
Position Offered: July 29th 2015 (Infantry)
Basic Training: September 7th 2015

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 23:15:12 »
I filled out the Personal Data Verification forms within the past two weeks. In Employment History there is a section that says If current employer, may we contact? with three possible boxes to check off: Yes, No, and Not Applicable. I've filled this same form out a couple of times for different applications. You may want to ask for the proper forms from your Recruiting Centre. I had mine e-mailed to me and was able to e-mail them back.
I'm referring to the online application form that you are directed to on the "apply now" section of the forces website. Where I fill in employment history it just asks for place and dates of employment. Are you saying that I can fill out the paper application without going through the website or should I still go through the site first and the paper trail comes after?

Will I have more paperwork further into the process that you are all referring to?
I would inform your employer just in case, better he knows if ever he gets a call then if he doesn't.

They called 2 of my employers..
You certainly have a valid point that I'll think about, but I still don't think I'll say anything. If there's a chance they won't find out I'll take it. I'm also the gatekeeper of the main phone line. Good to know they're actually checking in though.

I also really appreciate all of you replying. I wasn't aware there were more application forms.

Offline Valhrafn

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 23:33:43 »
I'm referring to the online application form that you are directed to on the "apply now" section of the forces website. Where I fill in employment history it just asks for place and dates of employment. Are you saying that I can fill out the paper application without going through the website or should I still go through the site first and the paper trail comes after?

Will I have more paperwork further into the process that you are all referring to?You certainly have a valid point that I'll think about, but I still don't think I'll say anything. If there's a chance they won't find out I'll take it. I'm also the gatekeeper of the main phone line. Good to know they're actually checking in though.

I also really appreciate all of you replying. I wasn't aware there were more application forms.
The online application is the first thing you have to complete. Once it's completed, you will be contacted by e-mail telling you whether or not your application has been selected for further processing. After this, your Recruiting Centre will call you to book your medical and CFAT and will send you an e-mail verification with attached forms (Personal Data Verification, Personnel Screening and Security Clearance) which will include the employment history and contacts that you're talking about. You will have to bring these forms to your CFAT testing day.

Recruiting Centre: Hamilton
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry Soldier
Applied: 23 July 2015
Medical: 24 February 2015
Interview: 11 August 2015
Merit Listed: -
Position Offered: Infantry Soldier, 1 Septmeber 2015
Enrolment/Swearing In: 9 September 2015
BMQ: 21 September 2015

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 23:36:33 »
That makes much more sense. Thank you very much! It appears I've been concerned over nothing.

Offline Dnas17

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 23:53:05 »
That makes much more sense. Thank you very much! It appears I've been concerned over nothing.

If I can say one thing about the application process is that youre going to have to fill out many different forms all with similar information on each one, but the personal data verification is the one that Garda (CF hires them to perform this check) will be looking at and contacting your references from.
Recruiting Center: Ottawa
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: February 10 2014
First Contact: February 13 2014
CFAT : April 10th 2014 (Passed)
Medical : February 25th 2015 (Declared Fit)
Interview: March 4th 2015
Swear In Ceremony: September 2nd 2015
Position Offered: July 29th 2015 (Infantry)
Basic Training: September 7th 2015

Offline manna15

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 00:11:25 »
That is much clearer. Thank you for your insight! It looks like you're pretty far into it already.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 08:36:08 »
I'm referring to the online application form that you are directed to on the "apply now" section of the forces website. Where I fill in employment history it just asks for place and dates of employment.

There you go, mystery solved.  Employers listed on the application form will not be contacted.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 20:42:40 »
I`m filling out the DND Personal Data Verification and in the section previous employer; One of my previous employers is the Canadian Forces, if my bosses were either promoted or posted somewhere else or retired whom would I fill in for the contact information. Also my last unit was a ship and is being decommissioned this year. *Trying to be proactive as I haven`t been contacted by the recruiting centre yet after filling out my online application.

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 20:50:23 »
I`m filling out the DND Personal Data Verification and in the section previous employer; One of my previous employers is the Canadian Forces, if my bosses were either promoted or posted somewhere else or retired whom would I fill in for the contact information. Also my last unit was a ship and is being decommissioned this year. *Trying to be proactive as I haven`t been contacted by the recruiting centre yet after filling out my online application.
Edit for clarity: The ships phone number or the phone number of the person who was my boss at the time.

Offline Master Corporal Steven

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 08:35:59 »
Good day,

Include all of the information that you know when filling out the forms. Make your best effort in obtaining the information required and if unable to locate the information you can fill out a Statutory Declaration stating so and the background check can still be conducted based on the information provided.   
Forces.ca

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 21:39:04 »
Thank-you MCpl.  :)