Author Topic: Earning Loss Benefit ( ELB )  (Read 52479 times)

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
Re: ELB 90 % top up from 75%
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2017, 12:27:41 »
Renegate I talk to my CM this morning on a different subject and I asked her about ELB. She mention it would be more like 8 weeks since they received lots of applications and that they have been on a skeleton crew due the the Xmas vacations. That said there is another guy see post a bit back who his request was received in Charletown on the 7 Nov and got his money in the bank at the 56 days mark so 8 weeks. Here what is frustrating with vac on vac account it tells you expect an answer after 4 weeks of receiving your application. Then you call they tell you 4 to six week. Then you call again and they say well wait a minute it is 6 to 8 weeks from the date it was received in Charlottown but nobody had mention that it takes another 4 weeks to process and get it to Charlottown . If the were to tell you right at the beginning 16 weeks then they probably wouldn't be so busy at their call centre.
Tilap, Agreed!

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2017, 10:42:37 »
Renegate68 FYI my ELB showed up yesterday afternoon on my VAC account. So yes about 56 days. Just don't understand how they came up with the amount, it is much more then what I was expecting. I'll have to double check with them. So now it is just waiting and see how long it will take to get money in the bank.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:55 »
That is good news Tilap, I hope you see the money in the bank soon. It's probably a good idea to confirm the amount, but I am glad it's more not less than you were expecting.
Cheers,

Offline CampCricket

• Rate Post
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:35 »
Looks like there are some glitches in the roll out of the top up. Prior to getting injured in Afghanistan, I held a full time DND position for over a decade and was a career reservist for over 25 years. I often took military leave from my civilian position. I did the same job in uniform as I do as a civilian... so DND is accommodating my injuries in the hopes that I can eventually return to full time hours... so I have earnings while on my LTD

As part of my accommodation, I work a couple days each week. I report the earnings to SISIP for my LTD. SISIP than adjusts my LTD by 50% of my earnings.

I've only been out of the military for a year, so even though I qualify for ELB, I deal with SISIP for now. I got confirmation I qualified for the 15% top up. I filled out all the forms and included my information on my work accommodation.

I started receiving my top up last week and the math did not look right. Looks like VAC is also deducting my earnings too - from the 15% top amount. They also mailed me forms to report my earnings to them. Don't these guys talk to SISIP at all. I already report that to them.

To me - that is not right. I should be reporting my earnings to SISIP as long as I fall under their program... and this shouldn't affect my top up as I don't make enough earnings to come close to my former salary (as you can keep 50% of earnings until you hit you release pay rate, then they start clawing back 100% in excess of that amount.

My case manager doesn't appear to be too knowledgeable. She thinks that I'm not entitled to keep any earnings and VAC is clawing back the other 50%. I asked her why there would be two different rules - one for LTD and one for ELB. also, from the VAC website I read that I'm allowed to keep 50% of earnings from employment up to my former release salary (just like LTD). To me - VAC and SISIP are acting independently not realizing that there is duplication here and only one of them should be handling my earnings reporting.

Am I way off in my interpretation of how this works. Anyone got a good handle on this or in a similar position receiving the top up while have some employment earnings?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 16:12:35 »
Unfortunately SISIP and VAC do not speak to each other. If they do you must sign a form allowing them to speak and it will be very specific as to what they can speak about so ensure the form covers everything. Privacy is a big deal so now no speaks to anyone without signed permission from you.

Ask to speak to someone in the ELB department to get things clarified. Although the programs are similar VAC and SISIP have different policy's and criteria. Thus I believe you will have to report earnings to both.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 20:30:20 »
CC,
The form is a VAC 928, Consent for VAC to obtain personal info from 3rd parties which you can find under forms in "my VAC Account".  On mine, for them to contact SISIP, this is the wording I used " Verification of the monthly SISIP LTD amount payable in periods of earning Loss Benefit(ELB)eligibility. This consent remains in effect for the duration of ELB eligibility"

Hope this helps

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2017, 21:52:58 »
So, today in my VAC account, my status went to "complete" on my application for ELB . I called my VAC CM, to see if he could see from his side what was going on, but he could not. He told me that I should see a letter in the next few days ( not sure if in VAC speak if that means weeks) telling me what the end result is. I am curious to see what the end figure will be as I see some of you saying you were getting less, and others saying more, than you anticipated.

Tilap, were you able to figure yours out?

Cheers, :salute:

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:37 »
Renegade FYI as soon as my ELB showed completed the amount showed up in the benefits I missed it a couple of times before I realized that I had to scroll down to see it. It is separate then my pension details. Anyway, I think I figured it out but the front line worker didn't agree so talk to my CM after a few minute of explaining she finally agree with me that the numbers don't add up told me to wit for the letter but I m in Texas for the winter so won't see that letter for a while so she sent a request to the ELB people to get in contact with me it's been 3 days and still waiting.still waiting.

Offline Renegade68

• Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:39 »
Ok, it Showed up under benefits section late yesterday. Similar to you Tilap, the amount I see is higher than I thought it would be (about $200.00/month more). I left my CM a message, and hopefully he will be able to explain it to me.
On the positive side at least something is happening! Now for the Disability awards, but I am already aware of the turtle like pace to expect on those!
Cheers,
 :salute:

Offline Tilap61

• Rate Post
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 20:38:31 »
200$ that about what I got to as too much as that is after tax. It almost look like they took the taxe on paper but did not actually took it out of the $ deposited in my bank account. Like I said my CM asked ELB people to contact me. That was last Thursday and I am still waiting.

Offline Canadian-Sapper

• Rate Post
earning loss benefit
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2018, 18:18:29 »
So I started my disability claim in September 2016, that claim is for ptsd and is currently on step 3. I've been working with the osi clinic and have my first psychiatrist appointment in March. I've recently applied for the rehabilitation program and earnings loss benefit, and I'm wondering what my chances are of actually being approved?

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: earning loss benefit
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2018, 21:57:21 »
No one here is going to be able to answer that. When are more fully evaluated by a psychiatrist they may be able to give you their opinion. However, all decisions are made at VAC and no one will know until then. It will likely be many months before you get to that point. My rule of thumb is 6 months from submission to response for anything with VAC.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline ArmySailor

• :D
  • Rate Post
  • Living for the good times....
Re: earning loss benefit
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2018, 00:17:11 »
If all documents for the rehabilitation program have been received, then rehabilitation program decisions are made within 2 weeks. It would very much depend on your individual medical file, but I would recommend calling the 1-866 number and asking.

Offline Canadian-Sapper

• Rate Post
ELB
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2018, 19:55:18 »
I posted about the earning loss benefit previously but I don't think I was very clear in what I was asking, so I have a couple questions. The first one being, is the earning loss benefit a bi weekly pay or paid monthly, and also how long does it typically take to receive your first payment (I know these wait times vary) I'm just looking to see what other people have e experienced.

I've asked my case manager and he said 6 to 8 weeks and that was the day I was approved. It just seems like waiting that long after approval is a bit much for ELB. Also I applied for the benefit and rehab January 21st and was approved Feb 7th.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
Re: ELB
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2018, 15:57:30 »
I posted about the earning loss benefit previously but I don't think I was very clear in what I was asking, so I have a couple questions. The first one being, is the earning loss benefit a bi weekly pay or paid monthly, and also how long does it typically take to receive your first payment (I know these wait times vary) I'm just looking to see what other people have e experienced.

I've asked my case manager and he said 6 to 8 weeks and that was the day I was approved. It just seems like waiting that long after approval is a bit much for ELB. Also I applied for the benefit and rehab January 21st and was approved Feb 7th.

You will be paid monthly the last day of the month. If you have MYVAC account you can see when the payments and the amount will be deposited.

6 weeks is about right if you have been approved as of Feb 7th ( for ELB) expect payment Feb 27th. Sisip has about the same time line when you apply to them.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
Can they stop earnings loss benefit?
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2018, 15:00:48 »
I understand the ELB is not meant to be permanent, but a guy I know says they're kicking him off. Obviously I dont know his exact situation and he may not be totally up front about whats going on, but it did get me thinking.

CAN VAC just end ELB? Im not talking about cases of fraud or anything, that's a different issue. I just mean, could you get to a point where they just say "youve been on long enough and havent gotten a job yet, youve got 6 months" or something

Its causing me a lot of stress because my family relies on my income right now. Without it, we're f'd.

Its that Im imminently worried or anything. Ive got an appt with my case manager in a few weeks to discuss my rehab plan (i was on a temporary hold for a year or so as I pursued a potential career path, but that isnt going to work out). I know we'll do one up and move forward with that.

Mostly just wondering if anyone is aware of a situation where ELB is cut off, not for any particular reason, just that VAC got impatient or something like that.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
Re: Earning Loss Benefit ( ELB )
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2018, 16:18:01 »
I believe if you complete rehab and have done school VAC gives you 6 months to find employment. If you can't find employment by the end of the 6 months then your ELB could cease. If that happens then you can apply for the CFIS benefit (Canadian Forces Income Support)

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/financial/cf-income-support

Offline dunlop303

• Rate Post
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2018, 03:20:09 »
Just went over this with the case manager, stepping in just because its backwards. You have 6 months to apply for CFIS after the program. Otherwise, you have to re-apply for the program, wait, approved, then apply.

Carefull, its muddy and they are really trying to push this all out to the Spring when the new benefits kick in.

Offline RobA

• Rate Post
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2018, 12:50:49 »
Just went over this with the case manager, stepping in just because its backwards. You have 6 months to apply for CFIS after the program. Otherwise, you have to re-apply for the program, wait, approved, then apply.

Carefull, its muddy and they are really trying to push this all out to the Spring when the new benefits kick in.

Thanks for the response. I looked at the CFIS but doesn't say anything about rates. The feel I get aboout the way the program is explained is that even if approved, you'd be taking a paycut from ELB. Anyone know what the rate for CFIS is?

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2018, 17:08:49 »
Thanks for the response. I looked at the CFIS but doesn't say anything about rates. The feel I get aboout the way the program is explained is that even if approved, you'd be taking a paycut from ELB. Anyone know what the rate for CFIS is?

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates

Just scroll down a bit.