Author Topic: Air Weapons System Technician (AWS TECH)  (Read 97402 times)

Offline mr peabody

• Rate Post
Re: OT to AWS , Questions for the trade
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2013, 19:18:16 »

Crap, just realized you had asked about AWS, I read AVS and wrote a long irrelevant post which I have just chopped.

I've been on the Sea King fleet since they stood AWS up again and we really haven't seen much of them yet.  Sorry for the wasted post.  I really can't offer much of value for life in that trade.

Feel free to PM me about general air force life, hopefully I can be of help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 19:23:06 by mr peabody »
" Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't. "

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 18:27:47 »

-I've seen alot of duties on the recruitment site that seem like ramp work (i.e de-icing,towing,marshalling,refueling, etc.) . Just wondering if this is in a typical work day or if they just throw it in there because it's potentially a duty?

AWSTs don't generally do any servicing type work (checks, towing, marshalling or refuelling). They are kept busy in their own trade though.

-What percentage would you say the trade spends in a workshop environment?( i.e benchwork , disassembly,troubleshooting)

If you are posted into a second line workshop, that'll be the majority of your job. In the squadrons they aren't qualified to fix the component itself, only to replace it.

-Is Cold lake as bad as it seems? i have 2 kids under 2 and i'm pretty strapped for cash now , even being on the east coast.

Cold Lake is very expensive to live in, more so if you have a young family. Cost of living is very high here, from housing whether on or off base, to daycare etc, etc. Your spouse would most likely have to get a job, if not a second one for yourself. (I'm only guessing here but that seems to be common for young families)

-What would be the best base to begin OJT after my QL3? I'm interested in jets and choppers, but prefer the jets

Cold Lake or Bagotville for jets.

Offline Dannyboyeast

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 20:09:38 »
Excellent, thanks alot for the reply Quirky
I was hoping there was a more positive answer for the Cold Lake issue......unfortunately i doesn't sound very good for my situation, but i'll cross that bridge when i get there.

Just another quick question.

What format is the QL5 in? i.e in house POs or getting sent to Borden again for a time?
If it's in borden how long is it?

Thanks again.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Are AWS Techs able to participate in humanitarian missions?
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 11:23:42 »
I've done 2 of these missions as AWS/AVN. So, yes.

It's more dependent on your type of unit. For example, TacHel will most likely be in the thick of things where-as Auroras will be unlikely to deploy on such missions.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline dh101

• Rate Post
Re: AWS Tech postings
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 17:44:18 »
As an AWS Tech Junior it's usually either Comox BC, Coldlake AB, Baggotville QC, or Greenwood NS, but I have seen postings for AWS Tech Junior spots at trention and some other bases, not nearly as many as the first 4 tho.

The OP probably doesn't have access to the DWAN yet but if your about to OT/CT and do have DWAN access, hop on EMMA and there is a link to search for posting locations, looking for the AWS Tech J postings, the J means junior and indicates that its usually for freshly trained techs.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 16:29:35 »
The three "training" bases are cold lake, bagotville and Greewood, NS. You could also concievably be posted to Comox, BC. For fully qualified TECHs, there are positions at the tac helicopter squadrons, and maritime helicopter squadrons. This covers just about every base in canada. Trenton is a posting because as a AWS you load all the chaff and flares, which Hercs have. If it involves aircraft and weapons, or explosives, or anything like that an AWS will be in charge of it.

I hate to burst your bubble, but when I was in Trenton there were very few AWS and most of them were EOD positions. The AWS also build up the chaff/flare buckets but the units install. It's preferred that new AWS start at a fighter base as they are by far the largest users of munitions.

Welcome to the trade.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 23:12:49 »
I hate to burst your bubble, but when I was in Trenton there were very few AWS and most of them were EOD positions. The AWS also build up the chaff/flare buckets but the units install. It's preferred that new AWS start at a fighter base as they are by far the largest users of munitions.

Welcome to the trade.

There are very few AWS anywhere because there aren't that many of us. Cold lake and bagotville are taking most of them right now. In Comox there is exactly one AWS tech posted to each shift and both of us are apprentices. There are positions in Trenton but they are being held by AVN types right now. That will change.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 20:24:32 »
There are positions in Trenton but they are being held by AVN types right now. That will change.
Less than half of the Trenton positions are AVN now. TCM is right that we are a small trade but we're growing steadily.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2014, 19:16:49 »
Excellent, thanks alot for the reply Quirky
I was hoping there was a more positive answer for the Cold Lake issue......unfortunately i doesn't sound very good for my situation, but i'll cross that bridge when i get there.

Just another quick question.

What format is the QL5 in? i.e in house POs or getting sent to Borden again for a time?
If it's in borden how long is it?

Thanks again.

If you are posted to an aurora sqn you will be doing servicing. I am doing it now. Your QL5 will be in the form of a OSS(or "type") course and where it is will depend on the aircraft you work on. Auroras are in greenwood NS and CF18 are in Bagotville (IIRC). I would assume that Hercs would be trenton and Sea kings would be Shearwater, although they are not posting new AWSTs into those position yet.

Offline J.Harris

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 11:42:07 »
I didn't realize this thread kept going! Thanks for all the information fellas! I am very excited. I begin training on June 2nd. I am hoping to get sent to Comox as my training base and the last place I want to go is Cold Lake (looks like there is a whole lot of nothing out there). Then maybe one day I will be able to scoop up one of the scarce positions at CFB Trenton. Thanks again guys I am looking forward to it all

Offline J.Harris

• Rate Post
Re: Are AWS Techs able to participate in humanitarian missions?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2014, 11:59:32 »
I've done 2 of these missions as AWS/AVN. So, yes.

It's more dependent on your type of unit. For example, TacHel will most likely be in the thick of things where-as Auroras will be unlikely to deploy on such missions.

Okay that makes sense! Thanks!

Offline J.Harris

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 14:43:01 »
Would anyone care to provide me with some details on the training that takes place in Borden? Is it Monday-Friday with weekends/holidays off just like any other school? What are the living quarters like? Are there written and practical tests every week? Work load? Things to do in and around Borden (outdoor activities) ? Thanks in advance for your time and information!

Offline J.Harris

• Rate Post
AWS techs for Chinooks??
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2014, 16:09:40 »
I was recently talking to a CF member who is based in Petawawa and he spoke about the Chinook helicopters they have there. I asked if they were equipped with flares but he was not sure. So I am wondering if they are in fact equipped with flares and if there is chance for me to be posted there. I'm not too worried about where I will be going, but if Petawawa is an option that will be my first pick when they ask (and I understand my preference means little to nothing).

Also, if anyone can tell me what life will be like during my training in Borden that'd be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: AWS techs for Chinooks??
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2014, 19:35:08 »
As it stands right now, cold lake. Bagotville, greenwood or comox are your posting options. Trenton will open up eventually. I haven't heard anything about the Chinooks yet.

Borden is bearable. Great course if you go to work on Cf18s but other platforms, less so.

Offline J.Harris

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2014, 23:33:45 »
Thanks for the reply! I guess I will be crossing my fingers for Comox. Cheers

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 09:22:49 »
While not an AWST myself, understanding that the Chinook was designed with a very capable self-protection suite that includes IR flares, chaff and active directed infrared counter-measures, those are self-protection systems that would not necessarily provide the same demand for large groups of AWS techs as clearly the CF-18s would require, and to a lesser degree the Auroras (and Sea Kings / Cyclones).  The Chinook is still in the early stages of implementation and the self-protection systems will be implement in the years to come.  As a first tour, where you will be looking to learn the craft of your trade, including as many of the aspects of armament and weapon systems as possible, you would likely not get as much out of a posting to Chinooks as you would on the line at a fighter squadron.  The AVN techs, FEs and door gunners look after the C6 machine guns, so you would be dealing specifically with the chaff and flares only, no other weapon systems.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Offline J.Harris

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 13:21:00 »
Thank you for the detailed response! I guess all I can do is just go with flow. Cheers

Offline Ksiiqtaboo

• Rate Post
AWS Tech course dates?
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2014, 21:30:01 »
Does anyone know the upcoming AWS tech course dates?

Thanks in advance

Offline aequitas

• Rate Post
Re: AWS Tech course dates?
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2014, 15:21:32 »
If you have DWAN access CFSATE has a good school page accessible thru 16 Wing page under heading schools of 16 wing. You will find everything you need there under Lancaster Sqn tab

Offline Ksiiqtaboo

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 15:52:37 »
I don't have access to DWAN but thanks for the info

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2014, 16:43:00 »
last I checked they were running about 4 a year. Expect to be at CFSATE for at least a year between  PAT, Common Core, BEET and QL3.

Offline Ken Eddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2014, 14:35:58 »
I am an AWS Technician in training. I arrived in Borden at the end of the first quarter 2014. I've done Common Core and am 1/3 done BEET, My 3s start in in a few months and I should be done by the end of the first quarter of 2015. PAT sucks major ***, I recommend going to the gym two times a day so that you minimize your time dying of boredom.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 14:39:07 by augdog1230 »
Live to Load, Load to Live

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2014, 14:44:14 »
Volunteer for taskings at every opportunity. Get your 404s. Take an online course. Just don't sit in the canteen and vegetate.

Offline Ksiiqtaboo

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2014, 16:34:29 »
I have previous service but I won't be offered a contract until they can put me on a course that's why I'm inquiring. And I have my 404s already but I'm just curious on dates

Offline krimynal

Totally Lost.

• Rate Post
AWS tech
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2014, 18:39:29 »
Hello everyone !

A friend of mine is looking into joining the army , he went on the forces.ca website and saw the AWS Tech video and basically fell in love with it ! ( gotta admit that video made that job look like a friggin paradise ! ) but he had a lot of questions regarding the job itself ... I was wondering if there was any AWS Tech here that could help him out. 

Right now I'm in the Artillery so I can't really help him .... I don't even know if they have to go trough SQ and stuff like that after BMQ ! So if anyone could let us know what would the correct way to become an AWS is we would greatly appreciate !

I did a quick search , but there doesn't seem to have that many out here , and a lot of posts were about people OTing to AWS which is not our case !!

Thanks a lot !
"Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strengh to endure a difficult one"   Bruce Lee