• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Matthew Fisher dies - a giant of journalism

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Truly the best journalist that I ever encountered in 25+ years. His strategic understanding and acumen, his ease with all things military, including a passion for embedding with soldiers at the front, and the respect that he had across ranks, resulted in some of the most outstanding, real, articles that I have ever read.

I will miss him immensely.

Truly the best journalist that I ever encountered in 25+ years. His strategic understanding and acumen, his ease with all things military, including a passion for embedding with soldiers at the front, and the respect that he had across ranks, resulted in some of the most outstanding, real, articles that I have ever read.

A huge loss indeed! Matt was about as even-toned and most-detailed a professional journalist you could imagine.

RIP Matt

What happened? I cannot find an article on this.

Here's a great clip of him on Idea City in 2016. What a loss to Canada... and the world

Matthew Fisher - Hope Amid the Ruins​

Referring to himself as a dinosaur and the last of his species Canadian Foreign Correspondent Matthew Fisher has lived an incredible life. Spanning a 32 year career Matthew Fisher has lived in 164 countries and has covered 19 different wars. In his talk he discusses his journalism career from using a telegraph to shooting on an iphone and shares his one rule of journalism: always have fun.

Sad to see the passing of Matthew. I first met him while only him and I were up late at night in Old Canada House back in 2007. He still had that Habs' hat on, but of course it was much dirtier then. He told me that in fact he was more of a Senators' fan. He was a down to earth, regular type of guy that for the most part, didn't talk to me about the war or military stuff. It was nice to do that since I needed to burn some stress off (I worked in the NCE J1 cell, which did all the casualty processing). When we did occasionally speak about the war or military stuff it was clear that he knew his shit. You couldn't say that about a lot of journalists in Afghanistan at that time who acted like they were going outside of the wire on a daily basis, but you would see them almost everyday in the Canadian lines or at the mess. Matthew truly did care about us. I wish his family all the best and hope they take solace in the fact that he was a man of great character. God speed Matthew.

Sad to see someone working hard to get it right go - R.I.P.

Sad to see the passing of Matthew. I first met him while only him and I were up late at night in Old Canada House back in 2007. He still had that Habs' hat on, but of course it was much dirtier then. He told me that in fact he was more of a Senators' fan. He was a down to earth, regular type of guy that for the most part, didn't talk to me about the war or military stuff. It was nice to do that since I needed to burn some stress off (I worked in the NCE J1 cell, which did all the casualty processing). When we did occasionally speak about the war or military stuff it was clear that he knew his shit. You couldn't say that about a lot of journalists in Afghanistan at that time who acted like they were going outside of the wire on a daily basis, but you would see them almost everyday in the Canadian lines or at the mess. Matthew truly did care about us. I wish his family all the best and hope they take solace in the fact that he was a man of great character. God speed Matthew.
Good words, Scoobs. Worth more than just a ‘like.’

Regards

I never met him, but we did correspond occasionally for a while many years ago.

I enjoyed his father's columns even further back as well

This was a bit of a shock.

Back