• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Federal Election 44 - Sep 2021

I like the bit about throwing a lot of money at CRA to go after tax compliance and enforcement, particularly the bit about offshore tax havens. There’s a potentially huge rate of return on better enforcement efforts there.

I wonder if he'll get a heavier sentence than Calgary's Alexander Dunn's 30-day conditional sentence and 15 days of house arrest.

I’ll be interested to see (if he’s convicted) how the court considers the aggravating factors in this one. Were you or I to throw a handgun of pea gravel at some random stranger getting on a city bus and end up charged for it, sanctions would likely be pretty minor. But there’s a significant interest in denouncing and deterring violence towards politicians on the campaign trail.

I wonder what kind of release conditions he’s on.

Wilson-Raybould's book "Indian in the Cabinet is coming out on Tuesday. The Globe ran an excerpt today. (as usual, paywalled) A short article is at CBC.

The interesting portion from CBC is:
The excerpt from the tell-all book "Indian in the Cabinet" — published in the Globe and Mail — revolves around Wilson-Raybould's recollections of two critical meetings with Trudeau in February 2019, days after the newspaper reported that Canada's first Indigenous justice minister had faced inappropriate pressure from top Liberals in a court case.

That case was the criminal prosecution of Quebec engineering giant SNC-Lavalin, which was facing bribery charges related to contracts in Libya. Wilson-Raybould would later testify that senior party leaders wanted her as attorney general to intervene for political reasons to stop the prosecution.

The full memoir is due to be released on Tuesday.

In the excerpt, Wilson-Raybould says the meetings were held in Vancouver a few days after the Globe story broke. The prime minister by that point was facing pressure after saying the report was false.

Wilson-Raybould says she was pushing for transparency with Canadians — and some level of accountability.

"He used the line that would later become public, that I had 'experienced things differently,'" she writes.

"I knew what he was really asking. What he was saying. In that moment, I knew he wanted me to lie — to attest that what had occurred had not occurred. ... Lie to protect a Crown government acting badly; a political party; a leader who was not taking responsibility."

Lovin' it!

:D

But there’s a significant interest in denouncing and deterring violence towards politicians on the campaign trail.
Very true. But I would also imagine there is significant interest in denouncing and deterring violence against female POCs by white males in a position of authority too. Especially when the female is handcuffed.

Very true. But I would also imagine there is significant interest in denouncing and deterring violence against female POCs by white males in a position of authority too. Especially when the female is handcuffed.
But not if the white male is the prime minister trying to help out a rich corporate doner

Attachments

• theglobeandmail.com-In that moment I knew he wanted me to lie Jody Wilson-Raybould recalls a t...pdf
    310.3 KB · Views: 8
Yes. There were six seats that went Liberal, but another seven went NDP over Conservative by less than the margin of votes that went PPC.
I’ll have to take another look, I was reading on a cell phone screen last time I checked that out.

It's a guessing game that assumes every PPC vote would go to CPC, instead of Libertarian Party or not voting at all...

That’s why I noted the number where the margin of victory was half or less of the PPC votes. I think it’s reasonable to suspect that PPC draw disproportionately from the CPC.

That’s why I noted the number where the margin of victory was half or less of the PPC votes. I think it’s reasonable to suspect that PPC draw disproportionately from the CPC.
For some reason, post 759 contains no text from me. What I typed was:

My belief is that the goal of the PPC generally and Mad Max particularly is not to win an election but to deny the CPC a win.

For some reason, post 759 contains no text from me. What I typed was:

My belief is that the goal of the PPC generally and Mad Max particularly is not to win an election but to deny the CPC a win.
So a sort of dumping ground for disaffected conservatives, ruffians and right wing fringe types? Or just Mad Max being sour about losing the leadership race? Or both.

Back