• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Who's the guy on the left in the picture? Is he Canadian or from another military? He seems to be wearing the same collar insignia as the others, so is he wearing the new CA uniform or is he from another Commonwealth country?
It was for 150 th of the Regiment. Some guys were wearing old uniforms.

Absolutely, most come from?

The C Army, which they probably still would if we de-fund you. 😁

* Funding for C Army represented below wearing a green shirt.

Beat Down Tv Show GIF by HULU

Bringing it back to uniforms - if people are looking for something distinctly Canadian, the Ceinture Flechee (Metis sash) is pretty much unique to Canada.

I don't think you have to be Metis to wear one (I could be wrong) and it's already in the uniform of at least one CA unit. Plus, it's another connection to history.

w-DSC_9181.jpg
What regiment is this? Looks good!

Bringing it back to uniforms - if people are looking for something distinctly Canadian, the Ceinture Flechee (Metis sash) is pretty much unique to Canada.

I don't think you have to be Metis to wear one (I could be wrong) and it's already in the uniform of at least one CA unit. Plus, it's another connection to history.

w-DSC_9181.jpg
Which regiment is that?

Why do they wear it? I know that they were one of the regiments that were sent west in 1885.

Why do they wear it? I know that they were one of the regiments that were sent west in 1885.
The fléchée is typically French Canadian and by extension also the Métis.

The the Regiment went west in 1885, it was a Rofles regiment and muted to Fusiliers in 1931. Thé fléchée came at the end of the 40’s/beginning 50’s to mark our French Canadian character. It stayed since then.

So we have the 1912 British scarlet pattern, with a French Canadian fléchée and modern Canadian rank for the NCM. It’s IMHO a total reflection of our history.

Also, if we had any discernable foreign policy, the CA is the primary FG for expeditionary operations our allies are looking for.

A 6 pack of fighters (that puts strain on our NORAD commitments) or a frigate here or there (which also puts strain on our already depleted ships companies) is not usually what NATO or the UN ask of us.

Boots on the ground from the Reg F CA prevents the Res F from being mobilized at every whim, and helps keep the RCN/RCAF protecting our skies and sea approaches.

I can drive a nail in with the handle of a Robertson screw driver, but I really do need a hammer at times.
I'm sure the RCN and RCAF pers that constantly deployed over the few decades to support our allies and partners would be glad to know that none of those countries really wanted them, they secretly wanted the army instead.

So we have the 1912 British scarlet pattern, with a French Canadian fléchée and modern Canadian rank for the NCM. It’s IMHO a total reflection of our history
Exactly.

Only when they become CWO/CPO1. It was thought that giving them to WO/PO1 and MWO/CPO2 would lessen their value.
I don't know; it was pretty intimidating to read what I was actually taking on when I got my commisioning scroll as a subbie and read it occasionally as a reminder not to be a tool (or get out if I'm not going to live up to that anymore). But probably personality driven anyway, as a piece of paper didn't suddenly up my GAFF (although the CAF does a great job at trying to chip away at it).

I'm sure the RCN and RCAF pers that constantly deployed over the few decades to support our allies and partners would be glad to know that none of those countries really wanted them, they secretly wanted the army instead.
Perhaps I need to add some more context. I may have been a little brash in my last point.

I am not discounting the contributions of the RCN/RCAF to our partners and allies. My response we as to @Halifax Tar 's opinion that the CA can be replaced by a stronger RCN/RCAF/SOF trifecta.

You won't see a SOF crew conducting Bde level combined arms attacks within a MN Div in Latvia any more than you'd see an RCN Ships Coy or RCAF Sqn. The Bde is what NATO has asked for. We rotate through the BAP task because it's part of the gig, but it also taxes our own AD responsibilities to NORAD. Same with the Aurora crews and the frigates we send to support things like ARTEMIS, REASSURANCE, CARRIBE, etc.

The CA is the cheap and easy multi tool of foreign policy. Be it COIN, PSO, Training, or deterrence operations. It doesn't mean the RCAF/RCN/SOF are any less valued in their contributions; my point was mainly that to do as HT suggests would see a lot less Canada on the world stage. That isn't necessarily a change from where we are with our abysmal returns for NATO and UN missions, but it would be a net loss for whatever away we currently hold with our allies and partners.

Back