• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1 down 1 to go

stukirkpatrick

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

On 27 July 2003 I completed my BMQ at Det Dundurn, Sask. Tomorrow, I start my SQ......Hooray for the Army!

Incidentally, my course completion took place on my birthday, which felt really cool

Pte Kirkpatrick :warstory:

a-ha-ha-ha!!! Speak for yourself.. :)

We got a lot more cock on my SQ than on my BMQ.. our course warrant specifically told us that he would make it the course from **** .

Of course, this was all due to the large number of individuals on my course. A few of us understood the concept of teamwork, while a large number dog****ed and fought with each other instead of working as a team, so as a result the platoon as a whole couldn‘t get stuff done properly.. like cleaning ****ing station jobs..

Of course, this was all due to the large number of individuals on my course. A few of us understood the concept of teamwork, while a large number dog****ed and fought with each other instead of working as a team, so as a result the platoon as a whole couldn‘t get stuff done properly.. like cleaning ****ing station jobs..
Did you ever figure out an effective way of dealing with such people? Clearly, they can make it through BMQ (which doesn‘t say much for it). I would doubt that confronting them would work, and at the same time, you all get punished for their lack of responsibility.

I don‘t know of any good ways. I know the instructors did notice those who worked from those who dog-****ed, and it was reflected in their course reports (So many people bitching about bad reports..)

I think one of the few times the PL really pulled togethor was for inspections were we had to earn our weekend back. It was really quite embarrasing, actually.

Here‘s a question for you...how do you deal with the total screw-ups like that if and when they get to the Regiment? They really should have been weeded out by BMQ. Can you work with these guys, can they hide their tendency to fornicate the canine well enough, or are you still pretty much happy with the kinds of personnel who get through to the Regiment?

Just wondering.

I meant by better in terms of content. It is more soldiering stuff than learning drill, C7, and about the CF.

I‘ll second that, the content is way better.. C9, C6, Grenades, 84mm (Although apparently my SQ was the last one to be taught the grenades and 84, which are now going to be in the infantry course), section attacks, basic recce, etc..

When did you do your SQ Korus? I did mine last summer at Meaford and we did the Carl G and Grenades. :)

I actually just got off mine last weekend, in Wainwright. I start my 3‘s on Monday..

--
Edited for Content

actually, the 84 mm and grenades are on the agenda for my course....next week :fifty: :rocket:

did my first c6 drills today,

heehee

Korus, man, your course had a lot of problems! Losing firing pins on the last day, at the weapons turn-in, LOL. Out of the three SQ courses which ran in parralel, mine had no cock whatsoever. I think it is primarily differences in instructors.
FYI: This summer is the last time SQ courses will have Grenades/Gustav ( I wonder if they will shorten the course, or add more content?). I was lucky on my SQ to be able to do Platoon Level attacks which are really fun to do - especially when you are on the C6 team! ;-)

Stukirkpatrick - > You are from Thunderbay and doing BMQ in Dundurn? Wierd, you must be Arty if you are from TB right? How are you finding time/computer while you are on course to access this forum?!>? ;-)

Thunder Bay‘s primary reserve unit is the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment, which is infantry.

There‘s also a medical company and some Navy types.

It‘s rather neat reading your post‘s from an old fart‘s point of view.

Kirkpatrick, congrat‘s and how was Dundurn?

I was there back in 95 when the shack‘s and bed‘s were infested with bed bug‘s and lice.

They had to fumigate whole shack‘s and bedding and at the same time double every one up untill
it was safe to move back in after the fumigation.

This was the Pre. Selection under the 3rd Pat.‘s
for UNPROFOR.

Congrats stukirkpatrick & Korus on completing your BMQ. Good luck on your 3‘s boys!

Cheers!

:gunner:

I apoligize for interupting, but I‘ve looked around, and I haven‘t a clue what your "3‘s" are. Can someone explain it to me?

Originally I thought it was just another name for SQ, the training that occurs after basic. But then I‘ve heard others use it as something that occurs even after that. So I‘m particularily confused. Does it have anything to do with the commonly-mentioned "QL3" and "QL2", for which I can also find no info about?

Back in the day, once you were accepted into the Army, you were consider to be QL1 qualified (Qualification Level 1). Upon completing your basic training, you would have been QL2 qualified (Basic is now called BMQ, or: Basic Military Qualification). From there, back in the day, you would have taken your trades training, or "QL3". This is your "trade" specific course, ie: Infantry, or Armour, or Medic, etc etc).

Today you must take your basic training, "BMQ", and now there is a month long course which has been added between your basic training, and your trades training, called SQ (or Soldier Qualification). Upon graduation of this course, you can take your trades training (refered to as QL3 in the old days), but now it is called DP1.

Thus it goes: BMQ -> SQ -> DP1

I just got off my Soldier Qualification course where we learned and fired: C9, Grenades (M67s, HCAC1s, Wessex, etc etc), 84MM Gustav, and C6.

We also learned;
-dismounted offensive ops (quick attacks),
-dismounted defensive ops (occupation, Stage 2-6 entrenchment, Constontinov and barb wire obstacle construction, tactical withdrawels, and all the "routine" that accompanies occupation such as track plans and the like)
-recce patrols
-emergency burials
-POW handling
-mine clearing and avoidance
-review of some BMQ subjects (ie: Pyro, "why things are seen <nite/day>)

However, future SQ courses will not be learning Grenades or Gustavs.

Hope this answers your questions.

I apoligize for interupting, but I‘ve looked around, and I haven‘t a clue what your "3‘s" are. Can someone explain it to me?

Originally I thought it was just another name for SQ, the training that occurs after basic. But then I‘ve heard others use it as something that occurs even after that. So I‘m particularily confused. Does it have anything to do with the commonly-mentioned "QL3" and "QL2", for which I can also find no info about?

now there is a month long course which has been added between your basic training, and your trades training, called SQ (or Soldier Qualification).
Hmm, is this brand spanking new? All the documentation and information I ever received from the Recruiting Center seemed to state that there was two courses to be taken upon entry to the military. The initialy BMQ which lasts 10 weeks. Then, in my case, I would be forwarded to the Infantry SQ for 16 weeks. After that, it‘s off to join a regiment. They never mentioned anything in-between.

However, future SQ courses will not be learning Grenades or Gustavs.
Cost, I presume? That‘s unfortunate - some professions, particularily Infantry, should really be trained on such things as early as possible.

Hope this answers your questions.
Thanks for you help. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, answers lead to more questions. :)

Cock. Dogfu**ers. Course from he||.

All of this sounds familiar!

Oh, yes, that‘s because I am going through it right now!

I am almost done BIQ now, and have seen 7 weeks on a large course (over 500 candidates on course at LFCATC Meaford). My platoon alone has many individuals who are unable to work together as a team. Even my own section, which shines above the rest when it comes to teamwork, still gets it wrong the odd time. And the instructors haven‘t missed a chance at reminding us how useless we really are, etc., etc.

Definitely more cock than BMQ, and about as much on BIQ as there was on SQ, mainly because it‘s the same instructors.

There is a huge disparity between the platoons. Two platoons are clearly worse off than mine, yet one seems to have the coolest instructors (without sacrificing all the hard work and difficult, challenging training).

Then again, they never said infantry would be easy.

And, I hate to admit it, I‘ve seen more than my fair share of the medics. If not for an inflamed IT band in my knee, or hot spots and deep blisters in the feet, I would have had a lot more fun. Then again, I‘ve been told several times that fun is just not allowed.

Back