• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

108th Battalion out of Winnipeg in 1916

Buzz

Inactive
Reaction score
I have an old photograph and attestation papers for my Great Grandfather that served on the 108th Battalion and enlisted in 1916 out of Winnipeg for the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force.  But when I look for information on the 108th in google or any search engine I can't find any information.  One site I found listed the 108th but the information box was blank. 

If anyone have any information or any leads,  it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!!
-Buzz

All I can tell you is that the 108th recruited out of Selkirk, MB, and was a reinforcement battalion, most likely broken up overseas to provide replacements for other units in the line.

That would make sense for not having any info on the battalion.

I have his service number and is there anywhere I can go to research him individually? Or am i pretty much SOL? My Dad doesn't know very much about it and my grandfather died when I was too young to really know the significance to ask him what he knew.

Thanks for the info! much appreciated...

Cheers!!

Try the National Archives of Canada site and follow the links to the First World War records. You can then enter his name and service number and you should be able to print a copy of his enlistment documents. If you want a copy of his service records, you will probably have to submit a request to the archives. As a relative, you should not have any problems.

Good luck.

Old Sweat said:
Try the National Archives of Canada site and follow the links to the First World War records. You can then enter his name and service number and you should be able to print a copy of his enlistment documents. If you want a copy of his service records, you will probably have to submit a request to the archives. As a relative, you should not have any problems.

Good luck.

Excellent! I did go to the national archives and printed off his enlistment docs.  His service records are  pretty much what I'm after.  I'll take the advice and make the request.  Thank you kindly!!

Cheers!!
-Buzz

Judging by the picture and part of the county, this looks like a Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada uniform. I believe the 108 Bn was raised by the Camerons, and I believe the unit perpetuates the 108 Bn from WW1. I'll check with the RSM and get back to you via this forum. Cheers.

Highland Laddie,

Thank you in advance for any info you do come up with. 

Cheers!

Buzz,

This is what I found out so far. The 108th Bn is not perpetuated by the Queen's Own Cameron Highlander's of Canada, but many members of the 108th Bn did serve with the Camerons in WW1. The 108th Bn was recruited and then sent to England, and there was utilized as a 'holding' unit (for lack of a better term) while personnel were sent to various units as reinforcements. Our regimental records indicate that many members of the 108th Bn were sent to the 43rd Bn (Queen's Own Cameron Highlander's of Canada), and served for the remaining duration of WW1 with the 43rd Bn.

The uniform in the picture is definitely a Cameron Highlander's uniform, and the Queen's Own Cameron Highlander's of Canada were the only Canadian unit in WW1 to wear that uniform and regimental accoutrement's (Camerons of Ottawa did not 'exist' as a highland unit at the time). There are only two plausible scenarios that the RSM and I can think of as explanations:

1) Your family member enrolled with the 108th Bn, but was then sent as a reinforcement to the 43rd Bn, and the picture was taken after the transfer; or

2) Your family member was a member of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlander's of Canada prior to WWI, but was recruited into the 108th Bn.

Perchance was your family member from the Selkirk Manitoba area? The RSM did indicate that our unit had a small detachment in Selkirk prior to WWI, and the 108th Bn apparently recruited heavily in that area. Maybe he was a Cameron before the war, or was later transfered to the 43rd?

I'll let you know if we come across any other info. Another option would be to PM me the family member's particulars and any other info, and we can see what we can dig up. Cheers.

Highland Laddie,

This is excellent! Yes, he was from the Selkirk, Manitoba area.  I will, definetly PM you the particulars, if it will help.

Cheers!

Back