• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2017 MARLANT Change of Command Parade

I agree with you Ballz.

Think about the word "Guard", both as a noun and a verb.

If the intent is to let the guard sit down, they are no longer "guarding" anything anymore and the organizers probably should not then have specified one be present in the first place. It is not the job of a reviewing officer to make life easy for a guard, with the possible exception of keeping their remarks witty and brief.

As for stokers being present in coveralls  :facepalm:. If you don't want them to have their work interrupted, why not just let them carry one with departmental work during the parade?

Either do a CoC parade properly, with all the bows, bells and whistles, or opt for a dignified ceremony.

Getting caught half way in between is not avant garde- it is embarrassing.

Yes, if you are going to have a Guard, then have one...standing.  I have been on many Guards, some short, some very long, and it's part of the game that it might not be the most comfortable thing.  I would have been embarrassed being in this Guard, sitting down.

SeaKingTacco said:
Either do a CoC parade properly, with all the bows, bells and whistles, or opt for a dignified ceremony.

Getting caught half way in between is not avant garde- it is embarrassing.

Totally agree. Do it right or don't do it at all.

If you want to thank all the folks who helped you on the way, a hand written note would be much more appreciated by all those involved.

ballz said:
to a "tactical" theme with helocasting, securing a beach, etc followed by a big smoker.

Sometimes you have a nice swim and a beer at Kiska and other times you're doing 7 full parade rehearsals a day for 2 weeks straight eh

A ceremony for a change of command parade with chairs for all, shade and maybe even some tasty beverages would be divine.

If you think that the speaking parts are going to take so long that the Guard will need to sit down, perhaps you should reconsider the length of the speeches that no one is really listening to anyway.

My favourite parade ever was reviewed by RAdm Edwards.  He spent no more than ten minutes reviewing the ship's company and his speech consisted of "You looked great!  Now let's go up to the mess and talk."  I still remember him talking about the Texas Bar in Lisbon.  Sadly, by the time I got to Lisbon, the Texas Bar had closed.  :'(

Worst parade ever was in the same year when Commodore Fox-Decent spent two hours reviewing the same ship's company and then droned on for an excruciating amount of time.  I have no idea what he talked about.

I watched a YouTube video for a Change of Command event for an RAF Helicopter Sqn in Cyprus.  It involved just two birds, was in the air, and the change over was made when the outgoing CO turned the lead over to the incoming CO.  Done. No bullshit, unnecessary drama or need to involve additional Sqn personnel who could then carry on with their daily tasks.  I like it.

The best part of this parade was the aftermath on various FB groups where dinos from yester year got all tough and mean about what a disgrace the current RCN is. 

Maybe in order to get enough members for the guard, they had to use people on chits that don't allow for more than 30 minutes of drill or standing. Letting them sit down didn't breach the MELs  [Xp

jollyjacktar said:
I watched a YouTube video for a Change of Command event for an RAF Helicopter Sqn in Cyprus.  It involved just two birds, was in the air, and the change over was made when the outgoing CO turned the lead over to the incoming CO.  Done. No bullshit, unnecessary drama or need to involve additional Sqn personnel who could then carry on with their daily tasks.  I like it.

Right on!

If I was an outgoing Navy Commander I'd want to rev up a destroyer and boot it out of the harbor with the bow out of the water and all guns firing....

Good thing they don't put paratroopers in charge of warships (unless they're pirates, of course :) )

Halifax Tar said:
The best part of this parade was the aftermath on various FB groups where dinos from yester year got all tough and mean about what a disgrace the current RCN is.

this would be fun to see. can you name some of these groups?

Back