• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3rd Anti Tank 1944

C

canaska

Have been recently researching my uncle's WWII history, but haven't found any definitive locale for the 3rd Anti Tank regiment to which he was posted  in March '44.

At the RCA website  there doesn't appear to have a matching history for my subject.  From my reseach and order of battle, the 3rd AT was attached to the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Inf. Div.

Would the regimental histories of The Stormont Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders & The Highland Light Infantry of Canada describe anything to do with the 3rd Anti Tank Regt.?

What/where am I going wrong in the research dept.??

Thanks

While the histories of the infantry and armoured regiments supported by the 3rd Anti-Tank Regiment may have passing mention and will give you a good overview of the Division's operations, they will probably not provide you the details you seek.

You might want to start with the contacts at the RCA Museum http://www.artillery.net/english/rcamuseum.htm and seek both current Association contacts that might help, and copies of the Regiment's War Diary (which the Museum may hold a copy of or help you to find through the National Archives).

Good luck with your search.

One (of the two) histories of the HLI of C (Bloody Buron) makes no mention of the 3rd Anti Tank that I could find. 

Hope that is of some help.

MC

105 Bty (SP 3-in M10s) of the 3rd Anti-Tank Regiment RCA landed on DDay in support of 3rd Div. (3rd At was a part of 3rd Div Arty). There is an excellent book called the Gunners of Canada, and there are brief mentions of the 3rd AT Regiment.    
   If I remember correctly there is a war dairy, which is at the RCA Museum. On the RCA website there   is or soon will be the breakdown of the Regiment by Battery. Again the source is "The Gunners of Canada"

:) Thanks everyone for the leads to my quest.
I'll keep searching.

They were NOT attached to the 9th Brigade, except perhaps for the assault phase.  They were a divisional  unit - each division had one anti-tank regiment, which supported all 9 infantry battalions of the Div.  Check out BATTERY FLASHES by DW Falconer - get it through the library on inter-branch loan if you have to.  The National Archives will also have their war diary.

A former co-worker of mine passed away on the 16th of this month he was with the 3rd Anti Tank Regiment and had mentioned that they came ashore with the North Nova Scotia Regiment.

PICKLES, George Allen _ With Sadie at last. Beloved husband of the late Sadie Pickles. Born on August 8th, 1921. Passed away September 16th, 2004 peacefully with his family at his side at Lakeridge Health-Oshawa. Survived by his brother Timothy of Oakville. Beloved father of Jeannie Czesnik and her husband Adam of Ajax and Laurie Minorgan and her husband Jim of Whitby. Beloved grandfather of Diana, Adria, Marissa and Kristian. George was a devoted WWII Veteran, belonging to the Third Anti Tank Regiment. He retired in 1978 after 36 years of Federal Government Service. He was a founding member of the Rotary Club of Oshawa-Parkwood and was honoured as a Paul Harris Fellow. A devoted father and grandfather, George will be greatly missed by family and friends. Friends may call at OSHAWA FUNERAL SERVICE ''Thornton Chapel'' 847 King St. West (905-721-1234) for visitation on Sunday, September 19th from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Funeral Service will be held in the Chapel on Monday, September 20th at 11:00 a.m. Interment Thornton Cemetery. Memorial donations to Parkwood Rotary Club would be appreciated.

RCA said:
 105 Bty (SP 3-in M10s) of the 3rd Anti-Tank Regiment RCA landed on DDay in support of 3rd Div. (3rd At was a part of 3rd Div Arty). There is an excellent book called the Gunners of Canada, and there are brief mentions of the 3rd AT Regiment. [/color]    

learn something new everyday! I had always thought that AT Arty assigned to Inf divs (1,2,3) at D-Day were all towed guns, and that the M10/Achilles were only with 4 & 5 Div. Thanks for that info.

My father, Raymond Crilley, was part of the 3rd Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment R.C.A, 105th Battery from it's mobilization in May of 1940. The 105th was located in Saint Stephen, N.B.
The 3rd Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment R.C.A. 4th Battery was located in Peterborough, Ont. from it's mobilization on may 28th of 1940 until July 9th when it moved to Lindsay.
The 3rd Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment R.C.A. , 52nd Battery was located in Weymouth, N.S..
The 3rd Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment R.C.A., 94th Battery was located in Quebec, P.Q.
I have a regimental history that was originally written by Major R.H. Barker, and rewritten by Dick Willows, President of the 3rd Canadian Anti-Tank Regiment Association, I also have a list of the names of each of the Batterys and a picture taken in Nov. of 1941 at Pirbright, Surrey. England of the 105th.
If I knew your uncles name, I might be able to help you more.
Peter Crilley

I am just now learning some of the history of my dad's war experience. He was with 3rd Anti-tank RHQ at Pettawawa and then Debert before leaving on the Ile de France for Britain. I have a partial listing of the men in the four batteries plus RHQ (thanks, fundyrider), but am searching for a more complete list. Is this information available anywhere? Thanks.
Ed G

At the end of WW2 all artillery units in the CAOS were required to write a unit history. Most were based on the unit war diary and quality varied depending on the author and interest.

There is a history of 3rd Anti-tank regiment - about 47 pages long. I know there is a copy in the Canadian War Museum library and there may/should also be copies in the DHH library and in the RCA museum in Shilo.

The CWM library should be back in business in a few months.

Try this website. The 3rd Antitak Regiment is mentioned briefly and there are some names;

http://collections.civilisations.ca/warclip/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=5010508

Back