• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

40 mm AGL vs XM203

Clément Barbeau Vermet

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I was wondering about area supression weapons. It seems to me that mech inf does not need a CASW because it aleredy has one (LAV's 25 mm can fire HEI rounds). Scince I am only a civi I might be wrong. Light inf and res inf, on the other hand, do not have such a weapon so they need one. The first thing that comes to mind is a modern and light 40 mm AGL. But there is an other possibility: the XM307 25 mm MG. Both weapons have about the same capacities but I think the XM307 has something more: its rounds are able to air-burst over the enemy's head when it is in a trench or behind a small wall. What do you guys think?
                                                                                                                    Clément

I mean 40 mm AGL vs XM307 (not XM203).
                                                                Clément

Problem is your comparing future tech / developmental items with current issue.

IF and when the XM becomes M then it can be considered -- however the 25mm payload is less

KevinB:
We have to say that the level of technology on both weapons (XM307 and second generation AGLs) are about the same (low weight, night sight). One thing is that we would have to wait for a longer period of time to see the M307 issued.

Sould this weapon be issued to all inf units or just certain ones? And at what level preferably?
                          Thanks,                                                                                      Clément

Second Gen AGL's already abound (In theory 3rd since the M75 and M129 Vietnam Era 40mm's where the first gen)
The HK GMG and other systems are a step beyond the Mk19.

However the ammuntion that you refer too are still developemental items -- we need a system now - thus debating the XM307's ammuntion with current issue is unfair  - and would put us years behind in adoptation of a system.

Clément Barbeau Vermet said:
What do you mean Old Ranger?
                                              Clément

The more explosive firepower, the merrier!

OK lets forget about the XM307 for now. The 40 mm AGL we are going to get will be at coy level. Would it work better at platoon level? Will it be issued to ALL inf units? Does mech inf units need such a weapon?
                                                                                                  Thanks a lot,    Clément

Back