• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

5.11 VTAC LBE Tactical Vest

Ex Ranger Instructor

Reaction score
Does anyone have a review or feedback to share regarding the vest at link below?

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Tactical-Vests/VTAC-LBE-Tactical-Vest/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10500/I/58631

I am considering getting one.  I am aware that 5.11 has a reputation for producing kit that is of less than stellar durability, and I'm sure this vest is no exception to that rule, but I really don't need a top of the line/bombproof rig.  For the amount of time that I will actually spend wearing it and the vagaries of using off the shelf kit domestically, I don't feel like shelling out huge bucks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

For a little bit more you can get a Tactical Tailor Modular vest, or TT MAV.

Yep, just checked it out online and you're right.  There seems (based on a quick look at the TT pics) to be few differences between the two vests though. 

I've taken a look at the 5.11 vest and it seemed ok; not great, but ok.  I've never had a chance to check out the TT vest. Is there anyone who has taken a good look at both who could tell me why one is superior to the other?

If you after that style of vest check out this one. The price is in CDN dollars as well  ;)

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=VT-207210&Category_Code=VDT

Or go with a TAG one.  TAG has an unlimited lifetime warranty on the gear. If by some fluke it ever does break, TAG will replace it or fix it, no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's for personal or work use, personal or agency purchase or sold to another person after you use it, the warranty still applies.

http://www.oneshottactical.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=oneshot&Product_Code=CR-MOPPV&Category_Code=CR-TAG

What is it worth to you to have complete confidence in your gear?

I've checked out the Voodoo vest and I like the 5.11 one better, specifically because the 5.11 has more MOLLE real estate on it (shoulders).  I would like to have the option to put a PRR on my left shoulder, so the Voodoo vest is out of the running for me.

I have no doubt that the TAG vest is of great quality, but I'm ok with a disposable vest.  This is not going to be deployment kit for me, it's going to be something that I (try) to wear domestically.  So again, I really don't care to spend a lot of dough on it, and I think a lower end vest is the answer here. 

Going back to the TT vs 5.11 debate, is there anything that makes one a better choice over the other?  Because otherwise it just comes down to cost and if so then I will just choose the 5.11 vest as the winner of the "willy vest program" contract.

5.11 quality is well below that of  Tactical Tailor, there's a reason, other then price, that TT is possibly the most popular tactical nylon company around. I wore a mav everyday for 6 months, loaded with full battle rattle, and I never once had a problem with it, nor did anybody else I talked to.

Do a search for the whole "issued Tac Vest is junk" thread and you will notice that the TT MAV (2-piece with centre adapter and X-harness) is one of the few in the running as an interim solution that has been authorised (by the CLS no less) for wear by the CF. As a side note, the TT design allows for switching between TW and Arid - all you need is to change the X-harness and the pouches. The pouches will cover the main body panels. Never seen this done for domestic purposes, but can be done.

It might be a little more expensive then the 5.11 gear, but tactical tailor is still cheaper then a lot of the other manufacturers, and they produce solid gear for the price. I've got several of their packs, with a few add-ons, all as good as the day they were made.

If your in Edmonton, check out the 1PPCLI kitshop as they carry the TT Modular Tacvest an 2 piece MAV aswell as TT pouches, etc. 

I've owned a few pieces of TT kit, an haven't had a bad experiance with them.

I'd stick with proven kit that is highly recommended regardless if your buying for going on tour or dom ops.. nothing stopping cheaper kit from failing in Canada or overseas. Plus you buy high quality kit that is going to last through training/dom ops in Canada an you can use it again overseas, etc.

Voodoo and Condor are substandard, made for the airsoft market.  While Condor may use genuine Crye Precision 1000d Multicam cloth, for example, the stitches per inch and the thread itself is not to mil spec. 

Pay once, cry once.  Do you want to be 6 km down the road in a night march, to find out the stitching, cloth or webbing failed and you are now missing a few hundred dollars worth of DND property?

Back