• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

58 dead 546 wounded / injured in Las Vegas shooting 1 Oct 2017

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
Some links about drugs and mass killings

https://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/07/25/antidepressants-linked-murders-murderous-thoughts/

http://kellybroganmd.com/mass-shootings-the-new-manifestation-of-an-ancient-phenomenon-and-their-link-to-psychiatric-drugs/

mariomike said:
Don't take my word for it,

https://suicideproject.org/2012/11/my-suicide-attempt-2/
There is now a pellet between my right eye and my retina. I lost my upper lip most of my nose, most of my teeth, and the tip of my tongue. I have double-vision, have had four surgeries this year, and have at least a few more to go. Until recently, I didn’t know slugs were so much more powerful than shells that fire bird shot.

One knowledgeable reader of this website wrote in to suggest that those using a shotgun should consider using shotgun shells that shoot slugs, which is one piece of lead instead of a number of smaller balls of lead. Or else if using shot, to use buckshot, which can come in 0.24 - 0.36 caliber, instead of 0.05 which is used for things like clay pigeon/skeet shooting. The higher the caliber, the bigger the pellets (meaning they better maintain their speed and energy on impact), but the less of them.
http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/firearms

Shotgun suicide: Slug, buckshot or birdshot?
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&biw=1280&bih=603&ei=3h4XWuGvH8uGjwPKoI3gCA&q=suicide+slug+birdshot+buckshot&oq=suicide+slug+birdshot+buckshot&gs_l=psy-ab.12..35i39k1.11021.13236.0.15531.8.8.0.0.0.0.171.1153.0j8.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.635....0.EHwrxsRnaYs

Happens sometimes.

One knowledgeable reader of this website wrote in to suggest that those using a shotgun should consider using shotgun shells that shoot slugs, which is one piece of lead instead of a number of smaller balls of lead. Or else if using shot, to use buckshot, which can come in 0.24 - 0.36 caliber, instead of 0.05 which is used for things like clay pigeon/skeet shooting. The higher the caliber, the bigger the pellets (meaning they better maintain their speed and energy on impact), but the less of them.

Really not very knowledgeable at all. Shot guns are designated by gauge, except for a .410, which is a caliber. Speaking of gauges, our 'knowledgeable' reader forgot to mention which gauge of shotgun he was using for his results. Shot sizes range from #12 which is the 0.05 diameter of a single pellet (2300 to the ounce). This is roughly equivalent to table salt and is used in pistol shot shells. Next is #9 and continues to all the way to #2, at .148 in dia. (90/oz). Then you have BB shot - .18 in dia @50/oz. Then buckshot #4 buck - .24, 21/oz up to 000 buck -.36, 6.2/oz. Shot diameter INCREASES as the shot number DECREASES because shotguns are sorted by gauge, not caliber. Contrary to what the 'knowledgeable' reader says. Gauge is based on how many of the same sized ball, the diameter of the bore, that will equal one pound. 12 gauge = 12 balls, 28 gauge = 28 balls. The ludicrous example sighted by the 'knowledgeable' expert of using #12 shot is very telling. I have only ever seen #12 shot, called snake or pepper shot in pistol cartridges. There has been shotgun shells loaded with it, but you'd be hard pressed to find a modern load of it. This is the stuff the 'knowledgeable' sites as his example. I don't think he's very knowledgeable at all. At least not in the sense of shotgunning. That's the risk with providing links to subjects you know little about. Otherwise you would have caught all the bullshit your 'knowledgeable' reader was spewing. But you found it on the internet, so it must be true ;)

My experience with this is practical and hands on, as I assume some of your stuff has been. Trust me, someone can miss with slugs and buck also. Birdshot will do the job very effectively as my retrieval of eyeballs, bone, teeth and meat can attest. Does it really matter which load you use? I think not.

recceguy said:
But you found it on the internet, so it must be true ;)

mariomike said:
Don't take my word for it,

I didn't think you would take my word for it after working 9-1-1 full-time for over 36 years.  :)

So, I posted references to support what I already knew from experience.

recceguy said:
My experience with this is practical and hands on, as I assume some of your stuff has been.

When did you work 9-1-1?

mariomike said:
I didn't think you would take my word for it after working 9-1-1 full-time for over 36 years.  :)

So, I posted references to support what I already knew from experience.

When did you work 9-1-1?

I've never worked 911, nor ever professed to, ever, anywhere. My job is responding to and investigating industrial workplace deaths and injuries, issuing charges and taking the offenders to court. I'm usually on scene at the same time as the first responders, trying to secure the scene before they contaminate and/ or destroy it. The bucket boys are the worst.

However, to the point you are trying to pin me down on. When someone violently spreads their DNA around a room, the family is responsible for the cleanup. They can get a company to do it or they can ask family friends and relatives. I was asked by three families to assist them cleaning up. They wanted to keep things low key and as private as possible. I knew the three victims extremely well. Family members are normally so grief stricken, they just get in the way. So I prefer to do it without them there. It's what true friends are for and I don't take that responsibility lightly.

And why the indignation. "I didn't think you would take my word for it after working 9-1-1 full-time for over 36 years." I'm more than aware of your experience and even referenced it. I never attacked you or your integrity. Simply explained why the 'knowledgeable' reader wasn't and people have to be careful about the 'expert testimonial links" they provide.

So, now I'm offended that your offended.

After the Las Vegas shooting massacre, survival can be excruciating

On Rosemarie Melanson’s 153rd night in the hospital, she starts to vomit and can’t stop. She pulls her knees to her chest, closes her eyes and coughs bits of strawberry banana smoothie into a plastic bin her husband, Steve, holds for her.
Stephanie, their eldest daughter, stands beside the bed, her gaze fixed on the wall. She’d brought the smoothie for Rosemarie, thinking it would be a treat. But her mother has been unable to keep down food since she was shot in the upper body at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip more than five months ago.
When the heaving subsides, Stephanie offers a whisper: “I’m sorry mom.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/after-the-las-vegas-shooting-massacre-survival-can-be-excruciating/2018/03/10/23fd3998-23aa-11e8-badd-7c9f29a55815_story.html?utm_term=.853af37c1731&wpisrc=al_trending_now__alert-national&wpmk=1

Triage and Response Lessons From the Las Vegas Shooting

LAS VEGAS — Victims fleeing the Route 91 Harvest music festival shooting in October unintentionally thwarted emergency first responders’ efforts to conduct triage on site by self-transporting themselves to hospitals in larger-than-anticipated numbers.

Ambulances were lined up waiting to dispatch, but the immediate chaos at the scene and lack of a location on the shooter delayed the city’s response.

"Once we were able to determine the one and only shooter was shot, we were able to secure the scene in such a way as to provide more of that triage and transport in a more orderly fashion. But by then many people had already left on their own, going in their own direction seeking resources and treatment.”

Hospitals didn’t have the resources to handle self-transports.

Full story at link:
https://www.routefifty.com/public-safety/2018/04/triage-and-response-lessons-las-vegas-shooting/147795/

END QUOTE

Update

Oct. 3, 2019
MGM and Las Vegas shooting victims reach a settlement of up to $800 million
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/03/us/las-vegas-shooting-mgm-settlement/index.html

Sharpshooting plumber fired shot that took down Texas church gunman

By Yaron Steinbuch November 6, 2017 | 8:28am | Updated

The man hailed as a hero for confronting the Texas mass shooter during his rampage is a sharpshooting plumber with no military background - who hit the gunman through a gap in his body armor, according to a report.

Stephen Willeford managed to shoot Devin Kelley before jumping in another man’s truck and chasing him down, the Daily Mail reported.

Kelley blew himself away after wiping out in his SUV, according to Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt.

Texas Department of Public Safety chief Freeman Martin said Willeford “grabbed his rifle and engaged the suspect” after Kelley left the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, where he opened fire with an assault rifle and killed 26 people.

An area resident told the paper that Willeford, an avid biker who attends another church, learned about the shooting when his daughter called to say a man clad in body armor was shooting worshipers.

The local said that although Willeford has no military background, he didn’t hesitate when he came face to face with the suspect — and managed to squeeze off a round that struck the gunman, who had dropped his Ruger
AR-15 variant.

Willeford jumped into a truck driven by another local, Johnnie Langendorff, who witnessed the confrontation, and the pair gave chase.

Langendorff later told reporters about the dramatic pursuit.

“I pulled up to the intersection where the shooting happened and I saw two men exchanging gunfire, the other being a citizen of the community,” he said.

“The shooter of the church had taken off, fled in his vehicle, and the other gentleman came and he said, ‘We need to pursue him,’ that he just shot up the church. So that’s what I did. I just acted.”

He said he didn’t know who the heroic citizen was at the time.

“He was just a member of the community, and whenever he came to my vehicle in distress with his weapon, he explained very quickly what happened and he got in the truck and I knew it was just time [to go],” he said, KSAT reported.

“So we were doing about 95 mph, going around traffic and everything,” he added.

“Eventually he came to kind of a slowdown and after that, we got within just a few feet of him and he got off the road … He just lost control and that’s whenever I put the vehicle in park … The other gentleman jumped out and had his rifle drawn on him and he didn’t move after that,” he said.

Langendorff’s girlfriend, Summer Caddel, said Kelley died a few feet away from Langendorff.

The local man said Kelley was already dead when they found him.

“He was bleeding pretty bad,” the resident told the news outlet of Kelley while he was driving. “He didn’t live much longer than that.”

Martin confirmed that police had found Kelley dead.

“We are not sure if it was self-inflicted or if he was shot by a local resident,” the police official said.

This is an update from today's news to the necro-post above.

It was the $ amount and military nexus that caught my eye.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — The U.S. Air Force must pay more than $230 million in damages to survivors and victims’ families of a 2017 Texas church massacre for failing to flag a conviction that might have kept the gunman from legally buying the weapon used in the shooting, a federal judge ruled Monday.

The documents reveal the strongest indication of a motive for the deadliest mass shooting in modern American history:

Sutherland Springs ( 2017 ) was discussed in this thread.

Update on the civil lawsuit, $144.5 million.

WASHINGTON — The victims of the 2017 mass shooting at a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, in which 26 were killed, have reached a "tentative agreement" with the Justice Department to settle a case against the federal government for $144.5 million.

Back