• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Pay System Update in December?

captloadie

Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've just been informed by the CFSU (E) that due to a decision to upgrade their pay system, the mid month pay deposits will not be made on 15 Dec. They hope deposits will be made on 17 Dec, but it may take 5 banking days in some cases. They will look at alternate payment methods to those individuals that require it on a case by case basis.

Now, I ask myself this question - why would an organization, any organization, decide to mess with employees' pay, the week before Christmas? Even if this glitch was unforecasted, or had a 1 in a million chance of occurring, it still doesn't make common sense.

captloadie said:
So I've just been informed by the CFSU (E) that due to a decision to upgrade their pay system, the mid month pay deposits will not be made on 15 Dec. They hope deposits will be made on 17 Dec, but it may take 5 banking days in some cases. They will look at alternate payment methods to those individuals that require it on a case by case basis.

Now, I ask myself this question - why would an organization, any organization, decide to mess with employees' pay, the week before Christmas? Even if this glitch was unforecasted, or had a 1 in a million chance of occurring, it still doesn't make common sense.

You just answered your own question: it makes no sense.  And what of people with scheduled payments?  You know, insurance comes out at a certain time of the month, etc.

That's what emergency funds are for.  A line of credit doesn't hurt either.

Prepared for this kind of thing or not, it still sucks.

It is not the money thing for me, but the fact that someone obviously didn't take into account the troops well being when they chose the date. Now maybe the whole system was on the verge of collapse, and if they'd waited any longer, the world would have ended.  ::)

I'm guessing that it had to be done sometime before the end of the taxation year. Still, that doesn't explain Dec 15th as a good choice.

This is also dancing around the regulations.  CBI 203.03(1) says the following:

(Payment) Subject to paragraphs (2), (3) and (6), pay and allowances shall be issued in arrears to an officer or non-commissioned member. Payment shall be made on the fifteenth and last days of each month or on any other day that the Chief of the Defence Staff determines is required to meet the needs of the Canadian Forces, except that when the day is not a full banking day, pay and allowances may be issued on the preceding full banking day.

Has the CDS approved the delay?  In my experience, changes are only made to pay earlier, not later.  CBI 203.03(8) may also apply:

203.03(8) (Restriction of cash payments) Despite anything contained in this instruction, the Minister may authorize the restriction of cash payments to officers and non-commissioned members serving outside Canada.

But again, did the Minister authorize this?  Even if he did, surely the folks at CFSU(E) would have been asked to come up with an alternative plan?  Everyone effected should be able to march into the Pay Office on the 15th and ask for (and receive) payment by cash or cheque.

Pusser said:
But again, did the Minister authorize this?  Even if he did, surely the folks at CFSU(E) would have been asked to come up with an alternative plan?  Everyone effected should be able to march into the Pay Office on the 15th and ask for (and receive) payment by cash or cheque.
A cash pay parade would be awesome.  As I recall, officers get paid first, followed by warrant officer, then senior NCOs, Jr NCOs and then the rest of the junior ranks.

(Or for the navy, after officers would be the petty officers, then the killicks, pirates and the rest of the hairy bags) ;D

Technoviking said:
A cash pay parade would be awesome.  As I recall, officers get paid first, followed by warrant officer, then senior NCOs, Jr NCOs and then the rest of the junior ranks.

In the bad old days officers and warrantofficers and senior NCOs received their pay in their respective messes at coffee break, and the junior ranks were then paid alphebetically by rank.

Old Sweat said:
In the bad old days officers and warrantofficers and senior NCOs received their pay in their respective messes at coffee break, and the junior ranks were then paid alphebetically by rank.
You had me at "getting paid in the mess"  :cheers:

When I was in, we only had one rule: Dont mess with seaman's pay. It lead to many Supply Officer's near decapitation by ship's Captains.

The Regimental Pay Officer and his Pay Sergeant would sit at a table with the Acquittance Roll, their pistols  and a pile of money, and we would line up as alphabetically by rank as officers could manage. The CO was paid separately in his office before all this. With that done, the dynamic duo would depart for the Sergeants' Mess and we would enjoy a cup of coffee and a snack while debating the issues of the day.

Sounds like they just didn't complete payroll on time.

CCPS upgrades do not affect pay and our pay has been completed as of 2 Dec and will be deposited tomorrow.

a response to my query....

Technoviking said:
You had me at "getting paid in the mess"  :cheers:

My usual routine was to see the Wardroom buffer before I paid the officers and make sure my mess bill was paid.  I would then go and see the XO and make sure his bill was paid.  Finally, at the appointed time, I would have the Wardroom buffer sit beside me while I paid the other officers, who enjoyed the convenience of having their mess bills presented to them just as I handed them a wad of cash. ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
And what convenience it was that you were the NPFAO and the Pay bob at the same time :) .

'Twas also a great convenience when they'd be nice enough to pay us in reverse alphabetical order ... I was a Wightman then. Should have heard the A & B names bitching on those particular pay days ---  ;D

Funny, only time I ever saw reverse order was for a needle parade.

Kat Stevens said:
Funny, only time I ever saw reverse order was for a needle parade.

Now, I never experienced a reverse order on a needle parade ... I got to watch the gents and ladies in front of me faint etc while I chuckled ... I guess we're even.

Back