• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ABSENCE OF PHOBIAS.....

eliminator

Reaction score
As per the CANFORGEN:

F. FOR CAT 1 PERS - APPLICANTS MUST NOT HAVE
PHOBIAS TO HEIGHTS, WATER OR CONFINED SPACES. APPLICANTS MUST BE BASIC PARA
QUALIFIED OR VOL FOR BASIC PARA TRAINING IF NOT QUALIFIED. PERS MUST BE PREP
TO CONDUCT INSERT/EXTRACT TRAINING WHICH WILL REQUIRE AN ABSENCE OF PHOBIAS
TO HEIGHTS AND A HIGH LEVEL OF PHYSICAL FITNESS.

I'm wondering to what extent they expect these "phobias" to be nonexistent? Is the CF going to offer any way (training) for a potential SOR pers to get over such fears. i.e., could you use such phobias as a means to do a repelling course, jump course, etc?

In my case I'm alright with water, relatively ok with confined spaces (not sure how confined they mean), but not the greatest with heights. I've repelled, jumped out of helicopters and off ships, and rock climbed, but I was always abit nervous....

your thoughts... ::)

If your "bit of nervousness" might cause any hesitation during operations .... that's a degree of phobia they probably do not want on board.

If your "nervousnous" has not affected you so far, and isn't likely to cause you to hesitate, you're gtg.

I think any sane person would be nervous jumping out of helicopters and ships, but if you bypass that nervousness, then no problem. They just don't want you freezing up, I'm sure.

They don't want someone that  breaks into a cold sweat and starts thinking more about the "Holy Crap that's far down" instead of "Must make it to window X below and visit bad obnoxious people".  And if you have real fears, I'm sure they have ways of making sure they come out.

MM

eliminator said:
In my case I'm alright with water, relatively ok with confined spaces (not sure how confined they mean), but not the greatest with heights. I've repelled, jumped out of helicopters and off ships, and rock climbed, but I was always abit nervous....

your thoughts... ::)

My thoughts?   Well if you weren't a bit nervous while doing those things I don't think I would want you as a partner. Its the bodies way of telling you to pay attention to your surroundings......

One of my worst episodes in Corrections was because of a 'lad' who was too stupid to listen to his senses.

this is certainly not gospel, but I'm PRETTY sure this is what they're getting at:

I hate flying. I HATE IT! As soon as an aircraft leaves the ground, I'm sweating and have a death-grip on the seat.
But I jump out of airplanes, because that's what I volunteered to do.

I'm a lousy swimmer. I've taken lessons, but I can't swim. I almost drowned a few years ago doing a swim test, and had to be rescued.
But I jump into pools and lakes and even a couple oceans, beacuse that's what the job requires of me.

Nobody expects you to be fearless. They expect you to be able to function DESPITE your fear. Only fools are never frightened.

paracowboy said:
this is certainly not gospel, but I'm PRETTY sure this is what they're getting at:

I hate flying. I HATE IT! As soon as an aircraft leaves the ground, I'm sweating and have a death-grip on the seat.
But I jump out of airplanes, because that's what I volunteered to do.

I'm a lousy swimmer. I've taken lessons, but I can't swim. I almost drowned a few years ago doing a swim test, and had to be rescued.
But I jump into pools and lakes and even a couple oceans, beacuse that's what the job requires of me.

Nobody expects you to be fearless. They expect you to be able to function DESPITE your fear. Only fools are never frightened.

Good post, bottom line you dont have to like it just do it. Anyone who isn't scared at some point is lying but as was stated above the ability to carry on despite your fear is where real courage is.

Rj

Hmm, I just noticed that this thread is in the CANSOFCOM Forum, so I am going to assume that CAT 1 personnel are SOF personnel. If that is wrong please correct me.

Thanks in advance  :warstory:

521 said:
Hmm, I just noticed that this thread is in the CANSOFCOM Forum, so I am going to assume that CAT 1 personnel are SOF personnel. If that is wrong please correct me.

Thanks in advance  :warstory:

Mate, not sure what you are asking exactly but we were dealing with phobias ?

Rj

Category 1 personnel in this context refers to Special Operations Operators - the "gunfighters" if you will. Cat 2 pers are support personnel, and do not require the same level of screening for phobias.

I did not know what CAT 1 Personnel were, and was confused. There was no refrence to what CAT 1 was such as infantry, CANSOF or the army in general. After I posted I noticed that the thread was in the CANSOF forum, and I assumed that CAT 1 is, or in this instance is, referring to CANSOF. Hope this clears up any confusion  :).

Thanks for the replies.

Back