• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

After BMQ...

MEM_12

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm starting my BMQ course on June 22 and am scheduled to be done by September 25. My job offer is for Marine Engineering Mechanic but I am not sure where I am going to end up after St Jean. I'm guessing I'm going to either the Canadian Forces Naval Engineering School Detachment in St. John's, Newfoundland or my NETP course at Esquimalt or Halifax. Which is more likely?

http://www.forces.ca/html/marineengineeringmechanic_reg_en.aspx

The information under the heading 'Training' will answer your question

Chances are the course in NFLD doesnt start until January of next year so you will probably be posted to CFNES halifax and be put on PAT until then.  If you are lucky you will get on your NETP while you are waiting.  Make sure you request to get loaded on it.  Theres no guarantees as theres usually a back-load to get on it, but it wont hurt to ask.  Have fun in NFLD.

My bmq course starts in oct 19th, ends feb 17th so... Chances are I may be in the next training course after the start of jan's. As I understand its a 5 wk course? then I go to borden for my initial... *insert mocking comments here* steward trade!

I didn't imply it, Just simply trying to poke fun at myself. Why that is, because I want to get a leg up on that cynical humor.

Besides I would rather be an cook but I need advanced math for it. Yeah you need advanced gr 12 math for cook! English I got. But math??

I thought being a cook had no detail in math or English? Just make food and that's it?

But as steward I still work along side in the kitchen, prep work and short order so I am still happy.

silentspanky said:
I didn't imply it, Just simply trying to poke fun at myself. Why that is, because I want to get a leg up on that cynical humor.

Besides I would rather be an cook but I need advanced math for it. Yeah you need advanced gr 12 math for cook! English I got. But math??

I thought being a cook had no detail in math or English? Just make food and that's it?

But as steward I still work along side in the kitchen, prep work and short order so I am still happy.

I could definitely see math skills being required for cooks, as they may have to take a recipe initially meant to feed 4 people, and amend it to feed 100 people. That having been said, the stewards will eventually require some math skills, as they are the ones in charge of managing the wardroom bar, and many of their postings ashore are as mess managers, which I imagine requires fairly decent accounting skills.

As for MEM_12's question, he did neglect to specify, either in this thread or in one of his other posts what entry program he is entering into, which does make it somewhat difficult to determine where he'll go after basic training. That having been said, he also hasn't been on since June, so hopefully he's figured it out since then. based on the timeline, I'm thinking he's not on the program in St John's, so shall likely be headed to CFNES Halifax next.

Cooks need math because they have to work out how much food to have on hand, how much it's going to cost. Basically you have to do what they call "Hotel Management" So there is accounting involved. So not only do you need to get into the pickle jar but need to find the square root of the jar as well. (I know  a pickle is not a square root but a round tuber)

Ok the question is, can I improve in my gr 12 courses within the navy? I am general math but adv english, all I need is adv math, so is there a way to upgrade courses so I can be eligible for cook?

You can go back and do night school to get the grade 12 math. In Toronto I know we have the program. I have directed several applicants to it. If you contact your local school board they will be able to help. It sucks that you can't be in right now. But if you call right now and ask they may still have spots open for the fall semester and you can carry on with you application in February.

I work at a call centre in which I hate with a passion... I suppose online correspondence will be fine? I just want to branch onto a trade in which I will be happy with. But also be apart of something big.

Back