• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Medics

Triaholic

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm just wondering what it's like to be an Air Force Med Tech. It's what I'm really looking at doing. If anyone could tell me anything about life as an Air Force Med Tech I would be grateful
  Thanks in advance
    Tri

*Move me if I'm in the wrong area*

Air Force is just a uniform for medics -  I know many that spend their lives in the field and on ship without ever seeing an airplane other than as a passenger.  However, many friends of mine have spent time on airbases, and depending which ones, have had a blast travelling all over to exciting places like Camp Massage, oops, Mirage, the Golan when it was open, Italy for medevacs out of Yugoslavia, Kenya for the same out of Rwanda or Somalia and now Germany for medevacs from Afghanistan.

Hope that helps a bit.

MM

thanks alot.  much help
now when you say in the field.  does that mean with the Army, or does it mean in field hospitals?

Thanks again

Medics support, and are assigned to any and every CF formation, unit and base.

<edit, bad typo>

so that means Air Force and Navy medics can be assigned to a Infentry unit?

Sorry for the newb questions i just want to get my facts right.

Triaholic said:

Yup......the colour of the uniform means nothing.......

There are no Air Force, Navy or Army Medics.  There are only Medics.  What element they belong to matters only in what uniform they wear.

Triaholic said:

No.  But they CAN be assigned to an Infantry unit.

Just to cut to the chase, here.  Medics are one of the "Purple" trades.  Other trades in this group include (but are not limited to): RMS Clk, Sup Tech, Cook, MSE Op - in other words, most of the Log trades, and some others.

"Purple" trades can be posted anywhere, in any environment.

The answer to your question is that a Medic can be posted to ANY environment.

Of course, if you like the uniform, you can ask for it - just be prepared to get dirty as well though  ;D.

Have fun.

MM

Roy Harding said:
Just to cut to the chase, here.  Medics are one of the "Purple" trades.  Other trades in this group include (but are not limited to): RMS Clk, Sup Tech, Cook, MSE Op - in other words, most of the Log trades, and some others.

"Purple" trades can be posted anywhere, in any environment.

Just to be clear between those other purple trades, and medics. In the army context, and particularly in the infantry, medics are close up and personal with the soldiers they support, not always an echlon behind. Hence thier role tends to be more physical (and mentally) demanding then other support trades. Medics are routinely on patrol with infantry sections in Afghanistan...unlike other purple trades.

St. Micheal's Medical Team said:
Just to be clear between those other purple trades, and medics. In the army context, and particularly in the infantry, medics are close up and personal with the soldiers they support, not always an echlon behind. Hence thier role tends to be more physical (and mentally) demanding then other support trades. Medics are routinely on patrol with infantry sections in Afghanistan...unlike other purple trades.

Agreed.

Good point, although I'd take minor issue with the "mentally demanding" part.

Roy Harding said:
Agreed.

Perhaps psychologically stressful instead of mentally demanding?  Having said that, you do have to be able to think and act both proactively and reactively on your feet - some do find that mentally demanding.

MM

Roy Harding said:
By mental, I don't mean necessarily smarter, I do give a nod, Roy, as clerks must always be multitaking and accurate, but...
I don't see any other support trades having to immediately decide if a particular COA will result in saving someones life, or hastening them to their death.

Now add to that the feeling of having someones life in your hand and your doing everything you can and you still lose, and watch him fade out. And lets be clear it is a win/lose game medic's and to a lesser extant TCCC per's play. I agree with the Doc on this it's not for the weak kneed or those that cannot immediately make a choices and see them through.

This is making it sounds more and more like what i really want to do.
What i really want to do with my CF career is SAR Tech,  and I thought that this was a good stepping stone. And if i never make SAR Tech then I will be doing something that i like.

Back