• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Nav flight instructors?

breezie

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to ask a daft question, but I've searched these forums, and can't seem to find an answer. I've just been accepted to RMC to eventually become an Air Nav, and I have a question about the job description as posted on the forces.ca website. In the job description, it says that "Air Navigators are employed as flight instructors at either the Canadian Forces Air Navigation School (CFANS) or one of the Operational Training Units (OTU)". Now, after reading the Air Navigators thread on this forum, it is very clear that Air Navs are in the plane, not flying it (which makes sense, otherwise you'd be a pilot). So, without having the experience of flying a plane how can one be expected to be a flight instructor? Or am I just missing something? Sorry if the question sounds dumb, I'm usually very bright, but this one's got me stumped.

Also, if any Air Navs can give me a bit of a better idea of what the job actually entails, I'd appreciate it. I have read some of the stuff on the subject, and I do realize it depends on what you are flying, but anything would be of help. It's hard to explain to family and friends what I'll be doing, not as straightforward as saying "I'll be a pilot".

Thanks everyone!
:cheers:

breezie said:
Hi, sorry to ask a daft question, but I've searched these forums, and can't seem to find an answer. I've just been accepted to RMC to eventually become an Air Nav, and I have a question about the job description as posted on the forces.ca website. In the job description, it says that "Air Navigators are employed as flight instructors at either the Canadian Forces Air Navigation School (CFANS) or one of the Operational Training Units (OTU)". Now, after reading the Air Navigators thread on this forum, it is very clear that Air Navs are in the plane, not flying it (which makes sense, otherwise you'd be a pilot). So, without having the experience of flying a plane how can one be expected to be a flight instructor? Or am I just missing something? Sorry if the question sounds dumb, I'm usually very bright, but this one's got me stumped.

You are reading far too much into it. Navigators teach navigator stuff. The term "flight instructor" just means you teach while flying. Theres no "pilot" flying involved.

Back