• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
mariomike said:
Have not read the CAF report. But, from what I remember, nothing would surprise me.

It’s exceedingly grim. There’s at least one blatant death due to acute negligence detailed.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Wow...

After reading some media articles & some of the comments here about the reports, I knew it would be grim.  I just read them all more or less from start to finish.  Didn't expect it to be anywhere near THAT grim.

And this is where many of our parents and/or grandparents end up??  Do these staff members not also have parents living in similar facilities?

Bring the hammer down & rebuild the system from the top on down if need be. 

TB

Reaction score
I didn’t anticipe to read something so grim when I clicked on the link.

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are the ACC teams not allowed to bring in some of the equipment and supplies noted, or are they restricted to just their own PPE on site?

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Disgusting. I was skeptical of the military going into these places, but after reading that report, it sounds like the military was exactly what was needed.

I'm glad our personnel are there now looking out for the residents. I hope their mental health is closely monitored now, and in the future. Sounds like a lot of trauma and moral issues to be faced there. I also hope that down the line, they are recognized and compensated for their difficult, operational work.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
CBH99 said:
... Bring the hammer down & rebuild the system from the top on down if need be.
... with said hammers hitting the top levels of the businesses and not just some chosen scapegoats further down the org charts.

In other news, this initial response from Queen's Park - highlights mine ...
Since the outset of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Ontario government has put the safety and security of our seniors as a top priority. The onset of COVID-19 has only exacerbated the already difficult situation in long-term care in the province.

Today (26 May), the Ontario government outlined key findings from the Canadian Armed Forces report on the five long-term care homes at which the military has been assisting. The report details serious concerns around infection prevention, safety, staffing and level of care. The report also indicates that these five homes are beginning to stabilize with the support of the armed forces.

"The health and safety of the residents and staff in our long-term care homes is our number one priority. It is clear the long-term care system in Ontario must be fixed," said Premier Ford. "The report from the Canadian Armed Forces on these five long-term care homes is extremely troubling. Our government will take immediate action to investigate the concerns raised by the Canadian Armed Forces to ensure the safety of our residents in these five long-term care homes and in homes across the province."

On April 22, the Ontario government formally requested assistance from the federal government in the form of the Canadian Armed Forces to support five long-term care homes that were in crisis. These homes were amongst the hardest hit in Ontario with COVID-19 outbreaks and had significant challenges that could not be rectified through various efforts. Those challenges included: staffing, infection prevention and control, resident safety, food preparation and janitorial services.

On May 10, the Canadian Armed Forces reported 15 out of 20 categories being in high-risk. As of May 25, based on the Canadian Armed Forces assessment, 13 of these 15 categories were no longer considered high-risk.

The Ontario government is once again calling on the federal government and the Canadian Armed Forces to extend their current mission for at least an additional 30 days.

"Thank you to the brave women and men in our Canadian Armed Forces who have helped immensely to stabilize our hardest hit long-term care homes," said Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care. "We are continuing to take action to ensure our most vulnerable people living in our long-term care homes receive safe and quality care."

The government has already begun an active investigation based on the Canadian Armed Forces report. To date, one death has been referred to the Office of the Chief Coroner for investigation. In addition to continued regular inspections, the Ministry of Long-Term Care Inspections Branch will immediately investigate specific critical incidents referred to in the report.

In addition, the government recently announced it will be launching an independent commission into Ontario's long-term care system beginning in September. The government also continues to work with hospital partners to assist long-term care homes across the province with clinical, infection prevention and control, and other supports ...

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
reverse_engineer said:
Disgusting.

I probably felt shocked and appalled 48 years ago, first time I was sent into one of those places.

reverse_engineer said:
I hope their mental health is closely monitored now, and in the future. Sounds like a lot of trauma and moral issues to be faced there. I also hope that down the line, they are recognized and compensated for their difficult, operational work.

I share your kind hopes,

reverse_engineer said:
Are paramedics in Ontario not already fairly well-compensated?

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
reverse_engineer said:
I'm glad our personnel are there now looking out for the residents. I hope their mental health is closely monitored now, and in the future. Sounds like a lot of trauma and moral issues to be faced there. I also hope that down the line, they are recognized and compensated for their difficult, operational work.

"Veteran's Affairs Canada has determined your disability benefit application dated XX XX XXXX is not service connected and therefore not eligible for benefits."

Those Op LASER folks better get used to seeing that for the next few years...

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Colin P said:
Likely the military will come out of this in a very good light, being a professional and impartial observer/intervenor.

IIRC that no one will come out of this in a very good light, and I'm sure it's inevitable that we'll be receiving our fair share of criticism at some point ...

MilEME09

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The kicker is, this was not an over night problem, this has been systemic failures by multiple governments at the provincial level, but I feel we need a full inquiry to address the issues not only in long term care homes but how these and other facilities look after seniors. My wifes grandparents are in a home, and if the government announces any new funding going directly to seniors, suddenly the amount the care home charges increases by the same amount. It is absolute extortion, during all this covid lock down no one was coming to cut their hair or nails, most of them can't bend over to cut their own toe nails, some couldn't wear shoes because of how bad their nails got.

Seniors are neglected, and extorted for every dime they have across the country. Now that the CAF has brought this to the federal governments attention, I firmly believe that the feds need to look how bad it is all across Canada, and if new laws are needed to protect seniors then they need to be written quickly. No one should have to leave in the conditions described in the report during their golden years, or any time of their life.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
MilEME09 said:
The kicker is, this was not an over night problem, this has been systemic failures by multiple governments at the provincial level, but I feel we need a full inquiry to address the issues not only in long term care homes but how these and other facilities look after seniors.
1000% - and like veterans' pensions, if there was an easy and relatively cheap solution, it would already have been done by someone, no matter what party.  That suggests to me it's hard and/or expensive to deal with.
MilEME09 said:
... I firmly believe that the feds need to look how bad it is all across Canada, and if new laws are needed to protect seniors then they need to be written quickly ...
That would help, but that may be the tricky part, given provinces control health care (even though it's funded by the feds via transfers).  Still, some minimal standards may be able to be set, but if the guys above say standard x has to be met, the first question from the guys having to meet the standard is "how much we getting to reach that standard?"  Again, that'll be the case no matter what parties are involved federally & provincially.

211RadOp said:
A report on Quebec CHSDLs will be released today evidently.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-caf-military-report-1.5586408
And here it is in French, downloaded from the QC gov't page, so feel free to share if you like - here's the Google English version of one French-language media outlet's initial take.

Attachments

• Observation_FAC_CHSLD_compressed.pdf
    350.9 KB · Views: 38

Teager

Reaction score
The sad part is a lot of the complaints made have been made numerous times for years.

My wife is a nurse and has worked at LTC before working at the hospital. The one she worked at was way more upscale and more for the rich folks so things weren't near as bad. That being said staff was limited. A lot of times she would be the only nurse on hand for an entire floor of seniors being 30-40 people. Also it would be a good idea to regulate PSW's. You can walk in off the street and be hired. If it was regulated and required a proper training program with oversight body which some schools already offer but isn't  required then better practices would be put in place for those staff.

Now that just points to a small issue of many and obviously the greed of these private homes needs to change and staffing levels need to be increased with proper compensation for the job.

If LTC homes had a lot of the same oversight and rules that a hospital has in place for it's patients things would be a lot better but even hospitals need some work.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Private home child care is adequately regulated; there are no compelling excuses for not properly regulating elder care.

As to funding, the same tension exists for both:

1. "We need to pay more for better child/elder care!"

2. "Child/elder care is too expensive!"

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Teager said:
In terms of pay for a lot of government LTC homes the pay rates are way better than private most likely because they are unionized.

CBC

May 24, 2020

Union launches nationwide appeal for long-term care reform in wake of COVID-19
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/union-launches-long-term-care-reform-campaign-covid-19-1.5582732
Campaign calls for national standards of care and end to privately owned facilities

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Teager said:
... Staff still lacks tho which would mean more $.
Yup - and less staff means those who are there are worked harder, the chances of mistakes increases and more potential staff turnover from burnout.  Lotsa threads to weave to find a solution.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid19-ontario-gta-coronavirus-new-infections-1.5584693

COVID 19 in Ontario is largely a Toronto problem now.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
milnews.ca said:
... with said hammers hitting the top levels of the businesses and not just some chosen scapegoats further down the org charts.

Light the torches and grab your pitchforks, we're going to run the monsters out from the village!  But before the mob is gathered in the town square, let's make sure we have the right monsters.

(My apologizes for quoting from your post as a starting point, it is not meant to imply that your sentiment is in any way wrong. It was just conveniently the most appropriate when I started writing this, which took some time with concurrent research and my computer freezing up just as I was finishing the draft, though luckily was able to recover it.  Actually, I fully agree with it . . . but with caveats.)

Are all the LTC facilities identified in the report actually "businesses" in the sense that they are "for profit"?  Let's take a look.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/gut-wrenching-military-report-sheds-light-on-grim-conditions-in-ontario-nursing-homes-1.4954710?cache=yes%3FclipId%3D89619?autoPlay=true
The homes included Orchard Villa in Pickering, Altamount Care Community in Scarborough, Eatonville Care Centre in Etobicoke, Hawthorne Place in North York and Holland Christian Homes' Grace Manor in Brampton.

There's no guarantee that the links I provide here will be be available after we light the torches and grab our pitchforks especially those that identify individuals in management and corporate governance positions.  If I was in management at any of these locations I would be quickly having that sort of information de-linked for the protection of staff.  And personal identifying information should not be repeated on this means.

Orchard Villa  https://www.orchardvilla.ca/  This one does seem to be a "for profit" and is just one of many locations belonging to Southbridge Care Homes.  Following their "About Us" link, it not only identifies the corporate leadership, it "boasts(?)" that one of their "partners" is Extendicare (Canada) Inc.
To ensure our day-to-day quality of care is of the highest standard, we’ve chosen Extendicare (Canada) Inc., a recognized leader in quality, clinically-based services, to manage the operations of our homes, both before and after redevelopment. In the health care sector, Extendicare has become a sought-after provider of management, consulting, information technology and group purchasing services.

Altamount Care Community  https://www.siennaliving.ca/long-term-care/ontario/altamont-care-community  Part of another corporate entity Sienna Senior Living.  I didn't find mention of the CAF report on their "Uplifting News" link but their "Investors" link does say:
Why invest in Sienna Senior Living?
Sienna Senior Living Inc. is one of Canada's leading owners and operators of seniors’ residences with high quality assets in great locations. Listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under TSX: SIA, Sienna pays an annualized dividend of $0.94 per share.

I might keep track of that stock to see how it does. Though, I don't see any mention about "care of residents" in the board's mandate https://www.siennaliving.ca/getmedia/8e58748f-272f-4f93-9841-5e017ae3a6bc/2020-02-19-Board-Mandate-Approved.pdf which was approved in February 2020.

The next two Eatonville Care Centre and Hawthorne Place don't identify what their business model is, but judging from the near identical format of their web presence I assume that they share an origin which (according to an earlier unrelated -sorta- CBC story) apparently is Rykka Care Centres, an operating partner of Responsive Management Inc.
The Responsive Group is a privately owned business, consisting of four business units. Together, the units provide a comprehensive portfolio of services that includes management of retirement communities and long term care homes as well as consulting, mentoring and restructuring services. We currently operate 14 long term care homes and 18 retirement communities in Ontario, which in turn provide services for more than 2,300 long term care beds and over 1,000 retirement suites.

The final player in the Ontario report saga is Holland Christian Homes' Grace Manor.  http://www.hch.ca/
Holland Christian Homes was established by a group of forward-thinking Christians who wanted to see their loved ones cared for in their senior years. In addition to their Christian faith, they shared common Dutch roots having come to settle in Canada–primarily after World War II.

It was listening to CBC Radio this morning that prompted me to look into the various corporate parents of these five LTC facilities, especially the not-for-profit Holland Christian Homes as the CBC had included comment from the daughter of a resident of Grace Manor in which she made mention of the bookending of her father's life having been a child in Holland during the war and the liberation by Canadian soldiers and then as he nears his final days the appreciation he had for Canadian soldiers coming into his facility to help improve conditions.