• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Ralph

Reaction score
PuckChaser said:
41 students and staff out of how many tests? Out of how many total staff and students for the boards reporting data? 41 at my kid's elementary school of 860 is high, but 60 full school boards and staff is quite a few people and seemingly a very low rate of infection.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-more-than-40-covid-19-cases-identified-in-quebec-schools-since/
About half of more than 200,000 eligible children have gone back to school in the province.

Gunplumber

Reaction score
Are there any SOPs I should be looking for when it comes to being sent back to work? I have been ordered back to work on Wednesday and just want to know what I should look out for.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Gunplumber said:
Are there any SOPs I should be looking for when it comes to being sent back to work? I have been ordered back to work on Wednesday and just want to know what I should look out for.

What worries me is that you haven’t been sent any SOPs at all...

Gunplumber

Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking, especially as my co-worker will be going back at the same time and we are both in a 20 by 20 room.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Gunplumber said:

Worksafe BC has a ton of information online and, I assume, other provinces do as well: https://www.worksafebc.com/en/about-us/covid-19-updates/covid-19-returning-safe-operation

Quirky

Reaction score
daftandbarmy said:
Cruise ship ban extended, effectively scuttling season in Greater Victoria

Good. Sucks for the economy, but the longer the Pollution of the Seas's stay docked in home port the better. Those things are way harmful to local waters than any bike lane can offset.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Quirky said:
Good. Sucks for the economy, but the longer the Pollution of the Seas's stay docked in home port the better. Those things are way harmful to local waters than any bike lane can offset.

Good point. Who needs $130 million a year pumped into the local economy of a fairly small, tourism dependent town  :sarcasm:

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Quirky said:
Sucks for the economy, but the longer the Pollution of the Seas's stay docked in home port the better.

So basically

Old people  <  economy  <  climate change?

Humphrey Bogart

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
daftandbarmy said:
It's OK, Victoria doesn't need anymore money. We already have enough double sized bike lanes and rainbow cross walks, which will all be empty this summer:

Cruise ship ban extended, effectively scuttling season in Greater Victoria

The cruise-ship season that was forecast to bring more than three quarters of a million passengers to Victoria’s shores — and an estimated $130 million in economic activity — has been scuttled.

Everyone from street vendors to restaurants, retailers, transportation companies and suppliers is expected to feel the financial blow.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/cruise-ship-ban-extended-effectively-scuttling-season-in-greater-victoria-1.24143481

They of course want a big handout.  The irony that these same people would probably moan and complain if handouts were given to other industries like Mining, Oil & Gas, etc.

Tourism is a highly cyclical industry that is tied to the business cycle and this can be impacted by recession, war, famine, plague, natural disasters, etc.  Just another example that we are not immune to this in Canada either.

Things can be rebuilt, including businesses.  Let's see where the chips fall.  Adapt and survive.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Humphrey Bogart said:
Things can be rebuilt, including businesses.  Let's see where the chips fall.  Adapt and survive.

Yep.  Some businesses will have to change their business models to survive.

Humphrey Bogart

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Remius said:

Also, it may not seem like it now but things will be rebuilt:

421792e2602abb1c06d7378f327e5b75.jpg

Tokyo End of WW2 vs Tokyo Now.  All about perspective.  We are bunkered down right now but we are fighting a delaying operation right now and gathering our strength IOT resume offensive operations on Project Humanity!

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Humphrey Bogart said:
Tokyo End of WW2 vs Tokyo Now. 

Usually see that attached to  Detroit End of WW2 vs Detroit Now.

Quirky

Reaction score
Jarnhamar said:
So basically

Old people  <  economy  <  climate change?

Oh I could care less about climate change overall. Cruise ships are floating environmental disasters that can stay in port forever. Old people will have to find another way to entertain themselves.

daftandbarmy said:
Good point. Who needs $130 million a year pumped into the local economy of a fairly small, tourism dependent town

Maybe they should look at other forms of revenue, Albertas entire economy will have to, Victoria can figure out a way to offset a few cruise ships.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Remius said:

Like big government, which will need to prune the overhead costs significantly.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
No doubt.

Things are already not the same.  To be honest a new contract between government and all of its operations and human assets will need to be reviewed and acted on.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Quirky said:
Oh I could care less about climate change overall. Cruise ships are floating environmental disasters that can stay in port forever. Old people will have to find another way to entertain themselves.
Or make cruise ships into floating longterm care facilities so seniors can live out the rest of their days in luxury with a nice view.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Jarnhamar said:
Or make cruise ships into floating longterm care facilities so seniors can live out the rest of their days in luxury with a nice view.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk029L-z1Fejl-OqLDbkwRmDJS96rEw%3A1590859052119&source=hp&ei=LJXSXoKxBceaa82Ti-gF&q=cruise+ship+cheaper+than+retirement+home&oq=cruise+ship&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIIxAnMgQIABBDMggIABCDARCRAjIFCAAQkQIyBAgAEEMyBAgAEEMyBAgAEEMyBAgAEEMyAggAMgIIADoHCAAQgwEQQzoHCCMQsQIQJzoECAAQClCfC1joSWDgWWgEcAB4AIABmAKIAeEWkgEGMC4yLjExmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpeg&sclient=psy-ab#spf=1590859065524

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Jarnhamar said:

Because cruise ships have such a wonderful track record with no 'mini-pandemic like' disease outbreaks? :)  :sarcasm:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/norovirus.htm

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
daftandbarmy said:
Because cruise ships have such a wonderful track record with no 'mini-pandemic like' disease outbreaks? :)  :sarcasm:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/norovirus/norovirus.htm

Who cares? They're old folks.