• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Remember when Gus "screwed the pooch" in the "Right Stuff"? :)

It was a GLITCH. It was a- a TECHNICAL MALFUNCTION. Why in hell won't anyone believe me?

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Remember when Gus "screwed the pooch" in the "Right Stuff"? :)
Frankly, Hollywood can fuck off.

To sensationalize the movie, it played to an old, disproven rumour, and was patently unfair to a dead man and his surviving spouse. Fellow Mercury astronaut Wally Schirra backed up Gus’ position that the hatch system failed and jettisoned when it came in contact with the water. Had Grissom blown the hatch manually, he would have had deep bruising...exactly as Schirra’s had in the flight right after Grissom, where he had to manually blow the hatch.
(Link; Disproving the Grissom-Mercury 2 hatch ordeal)

Sadly it wasn’t the last time that the speed of the program and the shortcuts taken would affect Gus. He (and fellow Apollo 1 astronauts Ed White and Roger Chaffee) died when a fire swept through the oxygen-rich atmosphere of the Apollo capsule and the safety crew couldn’t open the ridiculously configured manual bolted hatch cover (no emergency explosive jettison function as the Mercury capsules from Grissom’s ‘Liberty 7’ capsule throughout the remainder of the Mercury program.

Not to be too pedantic, but people who braved incredible risks and indeed those who eventually lost their lives daring to explore, deserve not to be screwed over by a bunch of poncey Hollywood film executives trying to add more drama than existed, and in so doing, inappropriately tarnishing the reputation of a valiant space explorer and renewing the pain of his grieving family.

Regards
G2G

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Frankly, Hollywood can fuck off.
Hollywood insiders have said, " Behind the phoney tinsel of Hollywood lies the real tinsel."

I'm shocked Hollywood would stoop to deceit. < sarcasm emoji >

Hopefully an apology was issued to the family, along with a sizeable cheque to the charity of their choice.

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Folks, just because this thread isn't in the political area doesn't mean you get a free pass to name call politicians. We've been above doing that through a pretty tough 18 months, lets not bail on decorum now.

- Milnet.ca Staff

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said that the U.K. variant had been “proven to be more dangerous in children and young people.” Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe just this week said that the variants are “shown to be more dangerous to young people.”

But that’s wrong: The variants are more transmissible and have landed more young people in hospital due to more cases, but there’s no clear evidence they’re deadlier or make people sicker. “We did not identify an association of the variant with severe disease,” reads a recent study in The Lancet which followed a few hundred patients hospitalized with the B.1.1.7 variant - the so-called U.K. variant, because it was first identified there. A more comprehensive study tracking nearly 37,000 Brits using the COVID Symptom Study found the same thing: “There was no evidence of an association between the proportion of infections with the B.1.1.7 variant and the number of symptoms reported over a 4-week period.”

It is far from the first time that public fears about COVID-19 did not match the reality on the ground. B.C. anesthesiologist Pooya Kazemi is one of a community of Canadian doctors actively criticizing overzealous lockdown measures. As he told National Post, “there is definitely a huge mismatch between what the literature shows and how people are behaving.”

North America is now definitively entering the final days of COVID-19. Even in Canada - with ongoing third waves in both Ontario and Alberta - deaths remain way down from their January highs and mass vaccination is rapidly shielding whole sections of the population from lethal harm. But as our pandemic deliverance approaches, physicians and researchers are now warning of a new public health challenge: When normalcy arrives, many may refuse to accept it.

A familiar pattern has emerged whenever a pollster asks the public to gauge the risks of COVID-19: Across the board, people think the disease is deadlier and more pervasive than it really is.

A recent survey from the Netherlands found that Dutch people think COVID-19 is about as dangerous as Ebola - a disease that kills 50 per cent of its patients.

A survey of pandemic anxiety among more than 6,000 Canadians last spring found that stress was particularly high among those of “younger age” the one group that is relatively insulated from the epidemiological consequences of the disease. The same survey also found an “association between left-wing views and stress worsening.”

In February, a French survey saw respondents estimating that COVID-19 killed one in every six people who caught it. The actual figures are closer to one in every 400 and that ratio plunges dramatically for people under 70. “Respondents overestimated the probabilities to catch or die from COVID-19,” wrote researchers.

In a July survey out of the United States, respondents estimated that about 40 per cent of U.S. COVID-19 fatalities were under the age of 55. Their estimate was wrong by a factor of six: Under-55s actually accounted for just 7.3 per cent of U.S. fatalities.

Poll responses were even more wrong when it came to COVID-19’s threat to children. Respondents said that around eight per cent of fatalities were under 24. In truth, it’s about 0.1 per cent. Notably, these overestimations were common to both Republicans and Democrats.

“Unjustified fears” of COVID-19 are “very, very real,” said Nova Scotia emergency physician Aris Lavranos. “It’s almost maddening trying to change the public perception.”

Ironically, much of the world entered this pandemic with the opposite problem: As COVID-19’s first wave silently surged through Canadian and the United States in early 2020, people and policymakers weren’t nearly scared enough about its potential for harm: Borders stayed open, travellers went unscreened and, in many cases, officials actively discouraged basic protective measures such as masking or social distancing.

Now, as COVID wanes across the developed world, psychiatrists are warning of a wave of COVID-centric anxiety. “Those with severe health anxiety are likely to become abnormally avoidant, continuing to isolate and practise repeated hand washing, checking their body temperatures, respiratory function, and even testing their ability to smell … over and over again,” reads a paper on “COVID-19 health anxiety” in the journal World Psychiatry.

In October, U.K. psychologists devised a questionnaire to gauge the severity of what they called “COVID-19 anxiety syndrome.” One of the questions has respondents answering how many times in the past two weeks they “have read about news relating to coronavirus … at the cost of engaging in work.”

Singapore has seen only 31 deaths from COVID-19, but even they are not immune to COVID-19 anxiety. A recent study examining “inflated risk perceptions” among an elderly community in Singapore concluded that “the affective symptoms of anxiety and depression should not be overlooked; if prolonged, these mental health consequences may result in longer-term problems than the pandemic itself.”

Mental health concerns aside, there’s the very real policy problem that if the public isn’t reckoning with the realities of COVID-19, they’re more apt to back restrictions that make very little sense.

Governments have continued to order the closure of playgrounds despite no evidence for them as vectors of transmission. Stefan Baral, an associate professor of the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health noted back in February that of 99,226 COVID-19 studies to date, not one had identified playgrounds as “common sources in outbreaks.”

A similar phenomenon has been occurring across the continent through the continued closure of schools in jurisdictions such as Ontario and California. “We know that they’re not major sources of spread, we know that they weren’t major sources of outbreak and we know about the downsides of school closures,” said Ottawa ICU physician Kwadwo Kyeremanteng in a recent video calling for the reopening of Ontario schools.

Pediatricians have similarly called out Ontario’s closures of summer camps. “There really are no medical or other reasons to delay further,” reads a recent statement by Pediatricians of Ontario.

Outdoor transmission of COVID-19 is estimated to represent only 0.1 per cent of cases. In one rigorous study that traced COVID-19 cases in Wuhan, China, only one of 7,324 infections occurred outdoors. Ireland performed a careful analysis of all 232,164 their confirmed COVID-19 cases and found that only 262 came from the outdoors.

Nevertheless, broad bans on outdoor recreation remain in place in Ontario, including continued forced closures of the province’s golf courses.

This week, the U.S. CDC reversed its recommendations that Americans should continue to wear masks even after full vaccination. No new evidence underlay the decision: Rather, it came months after it was already well-known that viral transmission was infinitesimally low among the vaccinated. As San Francisco-based physician and epidemiologist Vinay Prasad wrote in a Thursday tweet, “there was no credible evidence ever to ask vaccinated adults to wear a mask.”

Nevertheless, mask mandates remain in place even for fully vaccinated Canadians. Health Canada is continuing to demand that vaccinated Canadians follow all social distancing restrictions until at least 75 per cent of Canadian adults have received at least one dose.

“The one thing I’m seeing is that the government refusal to provide a roadmap back to normal is actually worsening vaccine hesitancy,” said Kazemi. He pointed to a recent UCLA survey finding that Americans were significantly more likely to take the vaccine if it meant being free to go maskless.

It’s why, despite his fervent pro-vaccine stance, Kazemi says he strongly objects to any efforts to shame people who are doubtful of the shot. When vaccination changes nothing in a Canadian’s life, “it makes people hopeless,” he said. “I think it’s time to be proactive in term of what our exit strategy looks like.”

Quirky

Reaction score
Curious, anyone know how Texas is doing now?

Simple google search will show you daily rates and deaths have plummeted. Peoples wish to see overflowing hospitals and morgues have not come to fruition. The anti-maskers and vaxers are not as bad as the talking heads on our media networks who warn of opening too soon. Government, officials and policymakers have consistently lied to us throughout this pandemic. Sometimes those lies are by omission, sometimes they are outright, and sometimes they are just representing data poorly.

This pandemic should absolutely degrade the trust that the public has in these institutions. At this point the people most likely to die are either dead, had covid or are vaccinated. People getting sick now are largely younger and less likely to die, and treatments have improved.

Meanwhile in Atlantic Canada:

Once police arrived, they located a woman and three youths sitting at a table. Police say none of the individuals were wearing masks, nor were they physically distanced from each other.

A ticket was issued to the woman for failing to social distance and police “warned the youths.”

The ticket carries a fine amount of $2,422.

This has gone into utter lunacy and crossing the line into crazyville. The Maritimes are getting exactly what they deserve, fear of the virus driving more fear into ratting out one another. That situation is comical watching that province self-destruct into an Orwell novel.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see what the interaction was.

most of these interactions end with warnings or reminders. The ones that end in fines are normally the ones where the offender gets all indignant and insulting.

self destruct.... man you are something else. You really need to leave your echo chamber.

kratz

Army.ca Veteran
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Sadly,
Since the provincial court order against gatherings. Warnings are a thing of the past. Tickets are first and arrest are a close second the past four days.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I’d be curious to see what the interaction was.

most of these interactions end with warnings or reminders. The ones that end in fines are normally the ones where the offender gets all indignant and insulting.

self destruct.... man you are something else. You really need to leave your echo chamber.
I have to go with QV on this one.

Literal self-destruction? No. That would leave future global maps looking a bit odd...

BUT, self-destruction of values and national identity? It's sad to see how easily and quickly fear replaced the values that made Canada what it was, and hopefully what we can return to.

The business may have been closed, but it doesn't mention anything about criminal charges, so I'm guessing they didn't break in and then just sit around. And fined an amount that is pretty steep. If it was a woman and 3 youths, was it a family? If so, didn't they all just eventually leave and go home together?

Regardless. Vaccinations have momentum, and we can't keep this up forever. Seniors are mostly vaccinated, adults who chose to be vaccinated are done, and the numbers of people getting vaccinated daily keeps getting higher & higher. It's time the government, and provinces, start talking about plans to reopen and relax things. Unless they plan to stretch this out as long as they possibly can? Which I don't see how that benefits them economically. (Just my 0.02)

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Again with the fear. People are just being responsible and don’t want to see anyone hurt.

i wear a mask and I social distance not out of fear but out of social responsibility and being a good citizen. The same reason I wear seat belt, have reflectors on my bike and take a cab home instead of driving when I have too many drinks.

the only fear mongering I see is people who think society is collapsing and yell that Canada has lost its values and that we are turning into a communist state. It’s getting old.

we have a few weeks left. Anti lock down, anti mask, anti whatever snowflakes can tough it out that long I’m sure.

Infanteer

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Again with the fear. People are just being responsible and don’t want to see anyone hurt.

i wear a mask and I social distance not out of fear but out of social responsibility and being a good citizen. The same reason I wear seat belt, have reflectors on my bike and take a cab home instead of driving when I have too many drinks.

the only fear mongering I see is people who think society is collapsing and yell that Canada has lost its values and that we are turning into a communist state. It’s getting old.
This.

Sometimes some forget that with freedom comes responsibility, or the whole thing starts to drag from friction.

For those worried about the liberal democratic state morphing into an authoritarian dictatorship, you need to work in government at some point. Bureaucrats are simply too busy with the problem in front of their nose to be capable of plotting a steal your liberty through some elaborate plan.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score

we have a few weeks left. Anti lock down, anti mask, anti whatever snowflakes can tough it out that long I’m sure.
I totally agree with you actually, for the most part.

It IS a very good thing that people are responsible, and cautious. It IS a good thing that we don't undo our progress. It IS a good idea that we do things to get us towards our end goal of relative normalcy, and IS a good that we remember there isn't some secret plot to turn this us into a communist regime. (Having worked in government at both the federal level, and now provincial level - I often reassure folks of just how unable government is at planning/executing almost anything over the long term.)

However, I also believe it's important that we take a step back and look at where we are at now, objectively. Should there be discussion about readjusting things, and how to eventually reopen? Yes, I believe there should be. Is it important that government start to address, if for no other reason than to reassure the public, of it's plans to get away from lockdowns? Again, I believe it should.

Whining about masks & some restrictions is one thing. Again, we need to make sure we don't undo our progress. Asking why the governments at the federal and provincial level don't seem interested in formulating a reopening plan is a legitimate question. (The US states mentioned all have pretty high vaccination rates, hence their numbers plummeting despite full reopenings.)

I don't have any fear that we are secretly being transformed into a communist state, or anything like that. HOWEVER, it seems like the government and the media was very quick to focus on infection rates, death rates, numbers, lockdowns, etc etc - yet seems very slow to talk about vaccination rates, or ask questions about staged reopenings, or a roadmap to normalcy, etc.

Enough vaccines are coming in now, and enough people have received at least their 1st dose, that the nature of the message should be changing. (Again, just my 0.02)

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Brig.-Gen. Krista Brodie replaces Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin:

Her bio:

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Asking why the governments at the federal and provincial level don't seem interested in formulating a reopening plan is a legitimate question. (The US states mentioned all have pretty high vaccination rates, hence their numbers plummeting despite full reopenings.)
Saskatchewan has a 3 stage plan and phase 1 is starting soon (if not so already).
A collegue told me that Quebec is planning on mask wearing and restrictions for a couple of years. I really hope that I misread her. Cause that imaginary line between Quebec and the US ain't stopping a damn thing.

Infanteer

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
I think Premier Moe is creating a trend that will come irresistible to other jurisdictions. If anything, our Federal system is governed by "what are the others doing?" and people in Province X will be wondering why they aren't leaning into things like Saskatchewan.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
i wear a mask and I social distance not out of fear but out of social responsibility and being a good citizen.
I've been going to my RMT once a week for years. She's from Japan and sometimes, not very often, wears a mask for Hay Fever in spring and fall. That's because she was raised in a culture of being considerate of other people.

Sounds like you were too, Remius.

Quirky

Reaction score

You are scared and this article pretty much sums up all the majority of feelings from users on the forum.

Makes it seem like a worse summer 2021 than 2020 even after the vaccines. That article is nuts. People really don't give a damn about the proper numbers. Totally stuck on fear island with this crap. It's almost like the media is scared they won't have anything to talk about once this clown-show is over. They'll have to invent something else for the masses to be afraid of. My bucket of give-a-shit is empty.

we have a few weeks left.

Hahahahaha right. Just a few more weeks to flatten the curve.