• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Texas approach where they have left people's health to their own individual control.

Admittedly I don't pay much attention to COVID other than wear my mask and follow the rules, as bothersome as that is.

How is Texas and the other open stats doing ? Flodeed hospitals ? Social collapse ? Honestly don't know.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
You are scared and this article pretty much sums up all the majority of feelings from users on the forum.

Makes it seem like a worse summer 2021 than 2020 even after the vaccines. That article is nuts. People really don't give a damn about the proper numbers. Totally stuck on fear island with this crap. It's almost like the media is scared they won't have anything to talk about once this clown-show is over. They'll have to invent something else for the masses to be afraid of. My bucket of give-a-shit is empty.

Hahahahaha right. Just a few more weeks to flatten the curve.
And yet you come here and spout off. You’ve previously mentioned that you’d willlingly sacrifice old “fossils” so you wouldn’t be inconvienced at the supermarket outside of senior hours. No, you’re the one who has been fear mongering. If anyone is going against canadian values and threatening them it’s you. Stop being a snowflake and man up. Do the right thing and man up. Because all I see is someone making a lot of drama and has been whining for year.

You don’t see it. And you likely never will, but YOU are the problem.

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
How is Texas and the other open stats doing ? Flodeed hospitals ? Social collapse ? Honestly don't know.

Death rates from coronavirus (COVID-19) in the United States as of May 17, 2021, by state(per 100,000 people)​

QV

Reaction score
I like the Texas approach where they have left people's health to their own individual control.

Admittedly I don't pay much attention to COVID other than wear my mask and follow the rules, as bothersome as that is.

Well if there was actual social collapse or at least very poor situations in places like Florida, Texas, South Dakota I'm sure the very honest and unbiased media would be letting us all know round the clock. The media hasn't reported too much on that, which should tell you a little bit about the media and this pandemic.

Another fairly absent story is the near eradication of influenza, how'd that happen and isn't that a huge win? After years and years of flu vaccines and no change, then a simple mask and 6' almost eradicated it? I mean, tell me more about that please.

But nah, everyone should just shut up, do what you're told, and never question anything because the science is settled on everything from COVID to global warming global cooling climate change, and our elected leaders like Trudeau all know and act entirely in our collective best interests without question. A bastion of ethics and morals, I'm not sure how anyone could doubt what this government puts out. And remember:

Peaceful protests about lockdowns and suppression of freedom = bad, you filthy racist right wing extremists!
Protests with violence in support of Hamas chanting the perpetuation of hate crimes = good to go!

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
I feel I should be able to drive down the left side of the road with a beer in one hand and a cel-phone in the other.

It's call living in a civil society. No right is absolute, even in the US of A, particularly when they collide. If some folks don't like the fact that we have been restricted, or how, they are free to find a political party that was against all of it and pound lawn signs for them. I'm sure Randy Hillier, Mad Max and Sloan will appreciate the support.
I am of the same opinion. :)

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
As someone who provides direct patient care in an ER, let me fill in some gaps:

Another fairly absent story is the near eradication of influenza, how'd that happen and isn't that a huge win? After years and years of flu vaccines and no change, then a simple mask and 6' almost eradicated it? I mean, tell me more about that please.
There are several reasons why influenza is perceived to be not as bad as previous years. Firstly, the infection control methods are working; masks, handwashing, and distance work. Secondly, the uptake for the flu vaccine, at least in Canada, was greatly increased this year. Thirdly, the R0 value globally for influenza is approximately 1.3, year over year. With Covid, it's currently 5.3. This means that each person infected with flu might subsequently infect 1.3 other persons, where one Covid case might create 5.3 others. It's important to note that the R0 value can change based on a number of conditions, and I would expect that the R0 value for influenza for this year will be less than 1.0. Finally, we're not testing as agressively for influenza as we might have in the past. Partly because we're focused on Covid, and partly because influenza will respond to the same treatments as Covid. Currently the R0 value in Winnipeg is estimated at 2.6.

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
As someone who provides direct patient care in an ER, let me fill in some gaps:

There are several reasons why influenza is perceived to be not as bad as previous years. Firstly, the infection control methods are working; masks, handwashing, and distance work. Secondly, the uptake for the flu vaccine, at least in Canada, was greatly increased this year. Thirdly, the R0 value globally for influenza is approximately 1.3, year over year. With Covid, it's currently 5.3. This means that each person infected with flu might subsequently infect 1.3 other persons, where one Covid case might create 5.3 others. It's important to note that the R0 value can change based on a number of conditions, and I would expect that the R0 value for influenza for this year will be less than 1.0. Finally, we're not testing as agressively for influenza as we might have in the past. Partly because we're focused on Covid, and partly because influenza will respond to the same treatments as Covid. Currently the R0 value in Winnipeg is estimated at 2.6.
[sarcasm]But...but...didn't the flu disappear because that's all COVID really is??[/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Thanks for that excellent explanation. Too bad some people will persist in believing different.

Infanteer

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Well if there was actual social collapse or at least very poor situations in places like Florida, Texas, South Dakota I'm sure the very honest and unbiased media would be letting us all know round the clock. The media hasn't reported too much on that, which should tell you a little bit about the media and this pandemic.

But nah, everyone should just shut up, do what you're told, and never question anything because the science is settled on everything from COVID to global warming global cooling climate change, and our elected leaders like Trudeau all know and act entirely in our collective best interests without question. A bastion of ethics and morals, I'm not sure how anyone could doubt what this government puts out. And remember:

Peaceful protests about lockdowns and suppression of freedom = bad, you filthy racist right wing extremists!
Protests with violence in support of Hamas chanting the perpetuation of hate crimes = good to go!
Let's see. US state politics - check. Flu rates - check. Vaccines - check. Lockdown measures - check. Canadian prime minister - check. Hamas/Israel - check.

Anything else you want to pull in there while you are yelling at the sky?

going off alex jones GIF

Last edited:

QV

Reaction score
But are these discussions interesting? I suppose we could all just agree and shut up... if that is what you want.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
No question there is a lot of fear out there. Fear is what prompted people to exercise caution well before official measures were imposed; fear (of consequences of disobedience) is what keeps people in line. Fear is manifested in the way the goalposts keep moving (originally: flatten the hospitalization curve; now: masks for how long?). Just because being afraid is perceived by many to be unflattering doesn't mean fear should be dismissed.

The threshold at which people decide prudence becomes overreach varies with local/regional social and political norms. Generally, the more free a culture believes itself to be, the less it appreciates "Mom" telling it what to do. For example, Michiganders seem to have a higher tolerance for restrictions and higher willingness to self-restrict than Texans, but Whitmer's rules were too much even for many Michiganders. In BC, the government mostly managed to stay within the bounds of what people thought reasonable. Some of the other provinces have not managed that.

Also no question that there is a lot of authoritarian instinct out there. That is self-evident from the political and social responses by the more fearful toward the less fearful. But that's a symptom of a deeper contemporary problem with so many people readily willing to jettison liberal principles at almost the first discomfort, setback, hindrance, whatever.

Infanteer

Army.ca Myth
Staff member
Directing Staff
Donor
Reaction score
Also no question that there is a lot of authoritarian instinct out there. That is self-evident from the political and social responses by the more fearful toward the less fearful. But that's a symptom of a deeper contemporary problem with so many people readily willing to jettison liberal principles at almost the first discomfort, setback, hindrance, whatever.
Yes, absolutely. I recall reading some interesting material in the political psychology literature that indicated that there are innate traits related to fear/concern that lead to someone's political bias. If I remember the hypothesis it was that "right" spectrum folks were wary of change, whereas "left" spectrum folks were prone to seeing failure in the status quo. These internalized instincts colour how people perceive social and political activities and behaviors. These psychological anchors explain why political outlooks are so embedded into our identities, and hard to change.

So, folks on one hand fear change and will jettison liberal principles to maintain the status quo, while folks on the other hand fear observed problems in the status quo and will jettison liberal principles to ensure change to their envisioned state. In both cases, regardless of political bent, they have become illiberal.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely. I recall reading some interesting material in the political psychology literature that indicated that there are innate traits related to fear/concern that lead to someone's political bias. If I remember the hypothesis it was that "right" spectrum folks were wary of change, whereas "left" spectrum folks were prone to seeing failure in the status quo. These internalized instincts colour how people perceive social and political activities and behaviors. These psychological anchors explain why political outlooks are so embedded into our identities, and hard to change.

So, folks on one hand fear change and will jettison liberal principles to maintain the status quo, while folks on the other hand fear observed problems in the status quo and will jettison liberal principles to ensure change to their envisioned state. In both cases, regardless of political bent, they have become illiberal.

Plus ca change!

“The old believe everything; the middle-aged suspect everything; the young know everything.”

― Oscar Wilde

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
By Oscar Wilde's standard of the day, I'm probably "old", but I tend to believe less and less with each passing day, especially regarding anything emanating from any Canadian federal or provincial government, especially about "climate change/global warming" and the CCP virus and "keeping people safe" and "following the science".

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Put me in the "old believe very little" category with respect to the information provided by media. Since much of what they claimed in the past turned out to be incorrect, I assume that much of what they claim in future will be also be incorrect.

Quirky

Reaction score
And yet you come here and spout off. You’ve previously mentioned that you’d willlingly sacrifice old “fossils” so you wouldn’t be inconvienced at the supermarket outside of senior hours. No, you’re the one who has been fear mongering. If anyone is going against canadian values and threatening them it’s you. Stop being a snowflake and man up. Do the right thing and man up. Because all I see is someone making a lot of drama and has been whining for year.

You don’t see it. And you likely never will, but YOU are the problem.

Sounds like you will fit in nicely with the rest of the maritimers. Rest of the country is slowly opening up but easterners are calling the police on each other for having maskless outdoor picnics. It’s pathetic. I’ve ignored any restriction that pertains to being outside for months now. I’m sick of people like you who preach restriction abidance like it is nothing while millions of Canadians have lost paycheques. Its been well established that most of the country loses their homes if 2 weeks pay doesn’t come in in timely fashion.

The irony of these backwards arguments you're making, is that if this virus actually was deadly or worrisome, we wouldn't be having these discussions at all because most of us would be willingly staying home and protecting ourselves. I can’t believe people still believe this shit over 12 months later and are still hiding in their houses. The “do your part” and “we are all in this together” nonsense has lost all meaning.

Remius

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like you will fit in nicely with the rest of the maritimers. Rest of the country is slowly opening up but easterners are calling the police on each other for having maskless outdoor picnics. It’s pathetic. I’ve ignored any restriction that pertains to being outside for months now. I’m sick of people like you who preach restriction abidance like it is nothing while millions of Canadians have lost paycheques. Its been well established that most of the country loses their homes if 2 weeks pay doesn’t come in in timely fashion.

The irony of these backwards arguments you're making, is that if this virus actually was deadly or worrisome, we wouldn't be having these discussions at all because most of us would be willingly staying home and protecting ourselves. I can’t believe people still believe this shit over 12 months later and are still hiding in their houses. The “do your part” and “we are all in this together” nonsense has lost all meaning.

I will take that comment about fitting in nicely with maritimers as a compliment.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score

incredibly helpful for folks in southern Alberta. This gesture just boosted our vaccination numbers by THOUSANDS - absolute game changer.

Utterly embarrassing that people had to drive to the US border to get vaccinated. Unreal. I’m extremely thankful, yet also extremely embarrassed and frustrated.

We aren’t short on vaccines here. Plenty of Pfizer & Moderna. No idea why people are told they have to wait 3-4 weeks for an appt. Just unreal.

(I have a tenant living in a rental I own, who is 66yo. He called to make an appt and was told it was a 4 week wait. Walked into Shoppers the next day and asked the pharmacy in person if he could get his 1st dose, and they gave it to him.). 😡🤯🤯😡😭😭

reveng

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The “do your part” and “we are all in this together” nonsense has lost all meaning.
I know of some small business owners that wanted to do their part when this all started, so they closed entirely. Hoping it would be a few weeks to a few months. And yet here we are...they've finally had enough and are opening up to whatever extent they are permitted. These are left-leaning people that tried to be "socially responsible" and got burned by incompetence at all levels of government.