• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This is the sum our government bribed the mainstream media with. :devilish:

In all seriousness though, this was no more than a knee-jerk reaction to comments made on the subject by DJT. The media immediately branded him a racist for his remarks, and championed that he was wrong. I'm not saying he's correct, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Even if he's proven right, there will be no crows placed in danger.

Then there's Bryan Adams and others being branded racists for suggesting that the wet markets were the source. CCP appeasement comes in many forms.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The issue also gets muddled with the yet unproven proposition that it was purposefully released.
Purposeful release seems less likely. What seems more likely is that one or more workers contracted a novel flu from sloppy practices, which led to escape, and infection of the greater population of Wuhan.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Purposeful release seems less likely. What seems more likely is that one or more workers contracted a novel flu from sloppy practices, which led to escape, and infection of the greater population of Wuhan.
Yeah. That was the point I was making. Some people assumed “purposeful” with the lab leak. So of course it would have been brushed aside as a theory even the the suggestion was that it was likely an accident or neglect.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
This is the sum our government bribed the mainstream media with. :devilish:

In all seriousness though, this was no more than a knee-jerk reaction to comments made on the subject by DJT. The media immediately branded him a racist for his remarks, and championed that he was wrong. I'm not saying he's correct, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Even if he's proven right, there will be no crows placed in danger.

Then there's Bryan Adams and others being branded racists for suggesting that the wet markets were the source. CCP appeasement comes in many forms.
Gosh I hate that segment of modern society, that turns EVERY SINGLE ISSUE into something to do with racial or gender discrimination. I find, for me anyway, it really lowers the threshold to a dangerously low level when anything/everything is labelled racism, when it clearly isn't.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Evidence mounts?

Unlikely genome sequencing evidence that COVID-19 originally leaked from a lab, two U.S. experts say

Two experts asserted in the Wall Street Journal that the genetic footprint of COVID-19 has never been seen in a naturally occurring coronavirus.

More from FP

blacktriangle

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Lab leak (intentional or otherwise) - how shocking! Not. It will be interesting to see what the final verdict is.

And to anyone on here that had completely dismissed that possibility of a lab leak without having access to the raw data to either support or refute the claim, well let's just say I really hope you aren't in any position of influence in this country...

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Lab leak (intentional or otherwise) - how shocking! Not. It will be interesting to see what the final verdict is.

And to anyone on here that had completely dismissed that possibility of a lab leak without having access to the raw data to either support or refute the claim, well let's just say I really hope you aren't in any position of influence in this country...
There will be evidence presented, and accusations, which are already occurring. Final verdict, if reached, will be characterized as yet another Western anti-Chinese diatribe, both by the Chinese and those "useful idiots" in the West.

I concur with your assessment, the evidence increasingly points to a lab leak. How the West and others outside of China's sphere of influence deals with this will be interesting to monitor.

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Not trying to derail this mods, as I know a lot of the chatter about Covid origins could easily end up in the China thread.

But how does the CCP control our national media? Why would CBC, Global, etc ‘go with the narrative they are told to’ when it comes to China? China doesn’t fund their budgets?

China pays large sums to Western media agencies to spread its viewpoint (ie "propaganda"), and also has its own agencies operating in the US (and elsewhere).

From Part III of https://efile.fara.gov/docs/3457-Supplemental-Statement-20210524-34.pdf, one example of the latter:

China Daily Distribution Cor. (DBA China Daily USA) publishes China Daily Global Edition on behalf of China Daily and facilitates the publication of informational and advertorial materials in U.S. media. China Daily USA also produces coverage about the U.S. for publication in China Daily's flagship edition in China.

During this 6 month reporting period, has the registrant received from any foreign principal named in Items 7, 8, or 9 ofthis statement, or from any other source, for or in the interests of any such foreign principal, any contributions, income or money either as compensation or otherwise?

Yes 0 No □ If no, please explain why no monies were received. ("Yes" was checked)

and

During this 6 month reporting period, has the registrant received any thing of value other than money from any foreign principal named in Items 7, 8, or 9 of this statement, or from any other source, for or in the interests of any such foreign principal?

Yes 0 No □ If yes, furnish the following information: Foreign Principal China Daily Date Received Continual From Whom China Daily Purpose Publication of Newspaper Thing of Value Exclusive right to distribute China Daily newspaper in the United States

From Part V

During this 6 month reporting period, has a budget been established or specified sum of money allocated to finance the registrant's activities in preparing or disseminating informational materials? Yes IEI No □ If yes, identify each such foreign principal, and specify the period of time and the amount. Foreign Principal Period of Time Amount China Daily 11/01/2020-04/30/2021 $5,355,946.57

They also operate a number of social media accounts (from the same source):

• Facebook accounts
China Daily New York, Log into Facebook
China Daily Houston, https://www.facebook.com/ChinaDailvHouston/
China Daily Los Angeles, Log into Facebook
China Daily San Francisco, Log into Facebook
China Daily Boston, Log into Facebook
China Daily Washington DC, Log into Facebook
China Daily Seattle, Log into Facebook
China Daily Chicago, Log into Facebook
China Daily Atlanta, Log into Facebook
• Twitter account
China Daily USA, https://twitter.com/ChinaDailyUS

Also Chinese Propaganda Outlet Has Paid US Newspapers $19 Million For Advertising, Printing

I have been subscribed to Laowhy86 on Youtube for quite some time. He is an American who lived in China for about a decade (if I remember correctly) and married a Chinese girl. He and his wife were forced to flee when the situation deteriorated under Xi, and several of his ex-pat friends did as well. At least one of them, a South African, also has a Youtube channel (SerpentZA). They both know the Two Michaels.

Lots of good insights into life, culture, and politics in China - both the good and the increasing bad.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Interesting we are starting to suspect my wife might be a Covid long hauler, which would explain a lot. However both times she went into emergency they never tested her and now we will have to go to one of two covid testing stations. Her sister inlaw who is a doctor in Malaysia was shocked that the hospital did not test for Covid upon entry, that is the SOP for Malaysia and many other countries. It seems that here in BC they are not overly keen on testing, lest it upsets the rosy picture.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
China pays large sums to Western media agencies to spread its viewpoint (ie "propaganda"), and also has its own agencies operating in the US (and elsewhere).

From Part III of https://efile.fara.gov/docs/3457-Supplemental-Statement-20210524-34.pdf, one example of the latter:

China Daily Distribution Cor. (DBA China Daily USA) publishes China Daily Global Edition on behalf of China Daily and facilitates the publication of informational and advertorial materials in U.S. media. China Daily USA also produces coverage about the U.S. for publication in China Daily's flagship edition in China.

During this 6 month reporting period, has the registrant received from any foreign principal named in Items 7, 8, or 9 ofthis statement, or from any other source, for or in the interests of any such foreign principal, any contributions, income or money either as compensation or otherwise?

Yes 0 No □ If no, please explain why no monies were received. ("Yes" was checked)

and

During this 6 month reporting period, has the registrant received any thing of value other than money from any foreign principal named in Items 7, 8, or 9 of this statement, or from any other source, for or in the interests of any such foreign principal?

Yes 0 No □ If yes, furnish the following information: Foreign Principal China Daily Date Received Continual From Whom China Daily Purpose Publication of Newspaper Thing of Value Exclusive right to distribute China Daily newspaper in the United States

From Part V

During this 6 month reporting period, has a budget been established or specified sum of money allocated to finance the registrant's activities in preparing or disseminating informational materials? Yes IEI No □ If yes, identify each such foreign principal, and specify the period of time and the amount. Foreign Principal Period of Time Amount China Daily 11/01/2020-04/30/2021 $5,355,946.57

They also operate a number of social media accounts (from the same source):

• Facebook accounts
China Daily New York, Log into Facebook
China Daily Houston, https://www.facebook.com/ChinaDailvHouston/
China Daily Los Angeles, Log into Facebook
China Daily San Francisco, Log into Facebook
China Daily Boston, Log into Facebook
China Daily Washington DC, Log into Facebook
China Daily Seattle, Log into Facebook
China Daily Chicago, Log into Facebook
China Daily Atlanta, Log into Facebook
• Twitter account
China Daily USA, https://twitter.com/ChinaDailyUS

Also Chinese Propaganda Outlet Has Paid US Newspapers $19 Million For Advertising, Printing

I have been subscribed to Laowhy86 on Youtube for quite some time. He is an American who lived in China for about a decade (if I remember correctly) and married a Chinese girl. He and his wife were forced to flee when the situation deteriorated under Xi, and several of his ex-pat friends did as well. At least one of them, a South African, also has a Youtube channel (SerpentZA). They both know the Two Michaels.

Lots of good insights into life, culture, and politics in China - both the good and the increasing bad.
Yes I quite enjoy their videos, also ADVChina

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting we are starting to suspect my wife might be a Covid long hauler, which would explain a lot. However both times she went into emergency they never tested her and now we will have to go to one of two covid testing stations. Her sister inlaw who is a doctor in Malaysia was shocked that the hospital did not test for Covid upon entry, that is the SOP for Malaysia and many other countries. It seems that here in BC they are not overly keen on testing, lest it upsets the rosy picture.
I hope your wife feels better soon, Colin.

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting.

I know an NSERC-awarded genetic microbiological engineer who received their DSc at L’Institue de Chimie Biologique Louis Pasteur and has been working in RNA throughout a number of microbiological sub-disciplines over the last 35 years, including virology, currently teaching and researching at a leading European university, who pointed out to me at least two factual errors in the logic of Quay and Muller’s case that put it in question: 1) restrictive genome patterns are mirror images, thus should be CGG-GGC, not CGG-CGG, and secondly, the possible protein patterns is not 36, but 4096 (ie. 4 ^ 6, four different amino acids per position, six position - basic statistical probability stuff).

Based on that alone, I will personally give Quay and Muller a pass. Others of course, are free to believe or discount as they see fit.

Regards
G2G

Loachman

Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Yes I quite enjoy their videos, also ADVChina
ADVChina is Winston Sterzel and another fellow named, I think, Tye. Winston's other channel on Youtube is SerpentZA. They are also linked to Laowhy86, the channel that I previously mentioned. I don't have time to watch half of the stuff that I want, so concentrate on Laowhy86 and an occasional SerpentZA video.

Loachman

Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Interesting.

I know an NSERC-awarded genetic microbiological engineer who received their DSc at L’Institue de Chimie Biologique Louis Pasteur and has been working in RNA throughout a number of microbiological sub-disciplines over the last 35 years, including virology, currently teaching and researching at a leading European university, who pointed out to me at least two factual errors in the logic of Quay and Muller’s case that put it in question: 1) restrictive genome patterns are mirror images, thus should be CGG-GGC, not CGG-CGG, and secondly, the possible protein patterns is not 36, but 4096 (ie. 4 ^ 6, four different amino acids per position, six position - basic statistical probability stuff).

Based on that alone, I will personally give Quay and Muller a pass. Others of course, are free to believe or discount as they see fit.

Regards
G2G
There is a lot of conflicting information and expert opinion around, and no easy way to sort out what is right or wrong.

But that is science - opposing theories and their eventual validation or elimination, followed by the rise of new theories.

"Consensus" is unscientific. Suppression of opposing theories by media and politicians, and self-protective cover-up, is unhealthy.

And then there is the possibility that the Wall Street Journal reporter simply misquoted. Many media errors and inaccuracies are innocent mistakes. Most reporters cover a large variety of topics and cannot reasonably be expected to be an expert in, or have the time and ability to understand even a small part of, any particular one. Some are irretrievably biased and plain wrong, but most are doing their level best.

I have often e-mailed reporters and columnists to gently point out innocent errors or provide more insight, and frequently been thanked.

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Is this true or fake news? If true, what does this mean for the agencies that shut it down in the beginning?
Small study, observational only and not peer reviewed.

A clinical trial by NIH showed no benefit: Hydroxychloroquine does not benefit adults hospitalized with COVID-19

And an article in The Lancet stated "available evidence does not support the use of this medication in the prevention or treatment of COVID-19."
Hydroxychloroquine in the prevention of COVID-19 mortality

Just remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Oh, and the day I take advice (medical or otherwise) from the likes of Trump, MTG or Twitter will be a very cold day in hell. ;)

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
There is a lot of conflicting information and expert opinion around, and no easy way to sort out what is right or wrong.

But that is science - opposing theories and their eventual validation or elimination, followed by the rise of new theories.

"Consensus" is unscientific. Suppression of opposing theories by media and politicians, and self-protective cover-up, is unhealthy.

And then there is the possibility that the Wall Street Journal reporter simply misquoted. Many media errors and inaccuracies are innocent mistakes. Most reporters cover a large variety of topics and cannot reasonably be expected to be an expert in, or have the time and ability to understand even a small part of, any particular one. Some are irretrievably biased and plain wrong, but most are doing their level best.

I have often e-mailed reporters and columnists to gently point out innocent errors or provide more insight, and frequently been thanked.
Like I said, free to take or discount information as you choose.