• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Mick

Reaction score
I don't know. Several years?
Seems reasonable. But if mRNA vaccine research began well prior to 2019, is it fair to assume that some long tesafety data has been gleaned already?

Would it not be preferable to have a similar period of time to evaluate the effects of any repurposed drug to determine its safety and efficacy treating COVID 19?

I think I've made my position clear re vaccines. Just trying to understand the logic here.

edited for clarity

Last edited:

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I threw a dart at a map, got italy.
Thanks, stand by.

When 1000 scientists all say , hey do this, I trust them over the 10 that day, hey, do this instead.
I'll see your argumentum ad ignorantium and raise you an Argumentum ad Populum

One Hundred Authors Against Einstein was published in 1931. When asked to comment on this denunciation of relativity by so many scientists, Einstein replied that to defeat relativity one did not need the word of 100 scientists, just one fact.

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
"Fast-track" is vague, but there's no denying a lot of money and effort was pushed at the problem to ensure everyone wasn't relying on whatever pace the companies set for themselves in accordance with whatever financial risk they assessed, and that "emergency" authorization was invoked.

QV

Reaction score
Seems reasonable. But if mRNA vaccine research began well prior to 2019, is it fair to assume that some long tesafety data has been gleaned already?

Would it not be preferable to have a similar period of time to evaluate the effects of any repurposed drug to determine its safety and efficacy treating COVID 19?

I think I've made my position clear re vaccines. Just trying to understand the logic here.

edited for clarity
I don't think so. The only thing to determine with a re-purposed but widely used medicine is if it works or not for that application, which can be determined quickly (days). The safety data already exists extensively so the risk is very low. Given ivm is considered very safe, and earlier use had shown promise in similar virus', it makes absolute sense to employ it widely in a pandemic setting. If it didn't work, no extra harm would come. If it did work, well... With respect to mRNA, as I understand it was first used in people in mid 2020, therefore the missing link is the long term safety data. So the vaccines work, but at what cost?

Mick

Reaction score
I don't think so. The only thing to determine with a re-purposed but widely used medicine is if it works or not for that application, which can be determined quickly (days). The safety data already exists extensively so the risk is very low. Given ivm is considered very safe, and earlier use had shown promise in similar virus', it makes absolute sense to employ it widely in a pandemic setting. If it didn't work, no extra harm would come. If it did work, well... With respect to mRNA, as I understand it was first used in people in mid 2020, therefore the missing link is the long term safety data.
Unless other effective treatments are delayed or deferred as a result.

Altair

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Possibly. But here is the catch as far as the election goes…how risky would it be given we might have a 4th wave in the fall given the delta variant?
We have a covid politics thread.

QV

Reaction score
Right, but an ivm cycle wouldn't be used in isolation anyway. If you have a look at the protocols on the FLCCC links upthread ivm is used in conjunction with a lot of other therapeutics and procedures, depending on whether it's a prevention, home treatment or hospitalization. They've found significant success with the protocols they've developed.

QV

Reaction score
And I should add, if other effective treatments existed this would all be moot including vaccines. Recall, there was no known way to effectively treat this in the beginning.

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Here's a good visual.

Attachments

• 232771261_10157840176972143_8010745182173350603_n.jpg
    232771261_10157840176972143_8010745182173350603_n.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 34

QV

Reaction score
Here's a good visual.
This is great news. So considering the majority of people including those in the "at risk" groups (elderly, multiple co-morbidities) are vaccinated, and this chart is showing anywhere from 8 to 25 fold reduction in bad outcomes for vaccinated people, this pandemic should pretty much be over then hey? Not to mention those who recovered and have natural antibodies, and those in the statistically zero risk category.

Likely still be a ton of "cases" but they would be quite mild and hospitalizations or deaths should be very rare.

Do I understand that correctly?

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
This is great news. So considering the majority of people including those in the "at risk" groups (elderly, multiple co-morbidities) are vaccinated, and this chart is showing anywhere from 8 to 25 fold reduction in bad outcomes for vaccinated people, this pandemic should pretty much be over then hey? Not to mention those who recovered and have natural antibodies, and those in the statistically zero risk category.

Likely still be a ton of "cases" but they would be quite mild and hospitalizations or deaths should be very rare.

Do I understand that correctly?
That's the way I see it, but let's see what happens with the Delta variant.