• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Greece said on Tuesday it would make COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory for people aged 60 and over in a move to quell a resurgent virus that is burdening a frail healthcare system.

Authorities said those who failed to comply from Jan. 16 would face a recurring monthly fine of 100 euros.

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score

Just over one per cent B.C. government employees — 432 people — will be placed on unpaid leave after failing to get vaccinated against COVID-19 or declining to disclose their vaccination status as required.​

The Toronto Police Service placed 117 officers on unpaid leave Tuesday as part of its COVID-19 vaccination policy.
That's out of more than 7,400 employees.

Any unvacinated city firefighters or paramedics have been on unpaid leave since 31 Oct.

I have not heard or read any reports of increased emergency response times.

As for transit, the Ontario Superior Court denied a request from the Toronto Transit Commission's union to block the transit agency from enforcing its mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
As the TTC is the third largest transit system in North America, after New York and Mexico City, this Ontario court ruling may have a ripple effect with unions across Canada.

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Europe is "cracking down" on the unvaccinated. I feel the world should have done that a little while ago.

Something positive:

Reaction score
No it's not. But they're becoming increasingly sensationalized, polarizing, and political.
I saw some goofy speed wobbles with attestation forms but all in all surprised and impressed as well. I predicted the CAF would cave and drag the process out or support any and every HR and religious claim.
There is amendment to CDS directive 002 on CAF COVID-19 vaccination – Implementation of Accommodations and Administrative Action - Canada.ca currently signed on DWAN and I assume be published publicly soon.

They extended deadline to 18th Dec for attestations, and you are able to submit accommodation requests for both religious and human rights (CHRA) (and medical if you have a basis to requests on that ground).

They have scrapped the 30 Nov deadline for CO's decisions on accommodations to indefinite.

Why they chose to make these changes? I gather that there is a significant amount of CAF members that have not complied with policy along with some requests for accommodations. What would be the impact of releasing all these members?

Let's say 1-2% all under this category, you can argue that it is non-significant sure. But where every facet of the CAF is short staffed, what does that equate to for Full timed manned for of 60k? You would feel the hurt especially if those people where in

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
[
Let's say 1-2% all under this category, you can argue that it is non-significant sure. But where every facet of the CAF is short staffed, what does that equate to for Full timed manned for of 60k? You would feel the hurt especially if those people where in

The threat of releasing members for refusing covid vaccinations when we're so short staffed really isn't much of a threat IMO.

CAF members who aren't vaccinated will pretty much be a write off. They won't be deployable overseas and I don't think other countries will care about about our religious or CHRA complaints. Even doctors notes. So forget about dlbeinf deployable.
They're also going to run into constant barriers in Canada.

All the die hard vaccine refusers I've seen are either already on the way out of the CAF, angling themselves to release from the CAF, or don't want to be here and are using this as an exit.

So yes we're losing members when we're already short staffed (and losing more than we're recruiting) but I don't think it's without it's appeal.

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
CAF members who aren't vaccinated will pretty much be a write off. They won't be deployable overseas and I don't think other countries will care about about our religious or CHRA complaints. Even doctors notes. So forget about dlbeinf deployable.
I can't wait for one to pop up on social media complaining that they're not getting the next big deployment (whenever/wherever it is), then complaining that they don't have any medals. :ROFLMAO:

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
If the federal public service and municipal transit systems can impose a vaccine standard but the CAF cannot, then we may as well stop pretending that the words "discipline" and "profession" apply to the CAF.

Firefighters and paramedics in my town who are not double-vaxxed have been on unpaid suspension since 31 Oct. . They'll be fired on 13 Dec.

Their replacements will be fully vaxxed.

I have not heard or read of any impact on response times.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
If the federal public service and municipal transit systems can impose a vaccine standard but the CAF cannot, then we may as well stop pretending that the words "discipline" and "profession" apply to the CAF.

You forgot to add 'leadership', but I assume that was an intentional miss ;)

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
There is amendment to CDS directive 002 on CAF COVID-19 vaccination – Implementation of Accommodations and Administrative Action - Canada.ca currently signed on DWAN and I assume be published publicly soon.

They extended deadline to 18th Dec for attestations, and you are able to submit accommodation requests for both religious and human rights (CHRA) (and medical if you have a basis to requests on that ground).

They have scrapped the 30 Nov deadline for CO's decisions on accommodations to indefinite.

Why they chose to make these changes? I gather that there is a significant amount of CAF members that have not complied with policy along with some requests for accommodations. What would be the impact of releasing all these members?

This is strange. If people have not attested and not requested accommodation they should already be on remedial measures. Accomodation requests may be the hold up but it seems pretty cut and dry in most cases.

Our unit had about 2% in that category. All but one I believe were denied accommodation and it didn’t take that long.

This may be the exception to the rule though. But it could be that COs are seeking guidance on accommodations and that return might be taking more time.

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where things go with the Omicron variant. Early findings are suggesting that while it is more infectious, it causes less severe disease. This is actually a good thing. If the early data holds true, and it overtakes Delta as the dominant strain, it could be the beginning of the end.

Reaction score
This is strange. If people have not attested and not requested accommodation they should already be on remedial measures. Accomodation requests may be the hold up but it seems pretty cut and dry in most cases.

Our unit had about 2% in that category. All but one I believe were denied accommodation and it didn’t take that long.

This may be the exception to the rule though. But it could be that COs are seeking guidance on accommodations and that return might be taking more time.
Everything is being funneled to top and all must be reviewed by the Jags to ensure consistency throughout entire CAF. There are number of approvals (via DWAN stats if you know where to look for them) that give you info in real time with number of requests/approvals.
I wouldn't expect a return on approval or not until late Jan.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Everything is being funneled to top and all must be reviewed by the Jags to ensure consistency throughout entire CAF. There are number of approvals (via DWAN stats if you know where to look for them) that give you info in real time with number of requests/approvals.
I wouldn't expect a return on approval or not until late Jan.
Our returns came back in short order. Members affected are on remedial measures. I guess experiences will vary.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Royal Canadian Regiment rearranged spells "Argentinean myocardial"

Warrant Officer rearranged spells "Careworn tariff"

Major General rearranged spells "logjam nearer"

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Royal Canadian Regiment rearranged spells "Argentinean myocardial"

Warrant Officer rearranged spells "Careworn tariff"

Major General rearranged spells "logjam nearer"
I've always hated people who could decipher and make anagrams off the top of their head.

Reaction score
[

The threat of releasing members for refusing covid vaccinations when we're so short staffed really isn't much of a threat IMO.

All the die hard vaccine refusers I've seen are either already on the way out of the CAF, angling themselves to release from the CAF, or don't want to be here and are using this as an exit.

So yes we're losing members when we're already short staffed (and losing more than we're recruiting) but I don't think it's without it's appeal.
These measures are temporary so can't be released because of universality of service.
If it was such a write off, then why is the CDS making the deadline for attestation from 15 Nov to 18 Dec? And the deadline for approvals from 30 Nov to indefinite? Is it possible they are getting the people who didn't attest/ unvaccinated a way to stay in?
You are going to lose good people over this, and many people felt compelled and scared to comply.