• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
The natives are restless....

COVID-19 on the Global Peace Index 2021

The emergence of a global pandemic impacted violence significantly. While violent conflicts improved, the number of violent demonstrations increased substantially – a total of more than 5,000 Covid-19 related violent events occurred this past year.

Pandemic-related violent incidents occurred in 158 countries around the world.

This increase in COVID-19 related violent incidents, caused by violent demonstrations and riots, was fuelled by various changes:
  • The imposed COVID-19 restrictions
  • Anti-government sentiments
  • Lockdowns
  • Increasing unemployment rate
  • Lack of economic support
Additionally, the pandemic caused an increase in racially charged assaults against people of Asian descent.

The report records that in Australia, 85% of Asian-Australians experienced pandemic-related discrimination during 2020. In addition, Vancouver witnessed a stunning 717% increase in hate crime during the pandemic.

Besides the political instability and civil unrest stemming from the pandemic, there was also an increase in interpersonal violence, domestic violence, and feelings of safety experienced a significant impact.

Furthermore, the report found that social isolation and financial stress most likely have had an impact on the homicide rate, but exact data remains tentative.

COVID-19 has led to uncertainty and radical changes in our everyday lives. While the report conveys the still limited knowledge of the full impact of the pandemic, it asserts that the uncertain economic conditions “increases the likelihood of political instability and violent demonstrations.”

GPI-2021-fig1.4-768x444-1.jpg

suffolkowner

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m not entirely sure but from what I gather there were some blood samples taken, presumably because they’re already compromised and the doc expected there to be issues with the uptake.
Yes you can get tested for circulating antibodies. More than a few members of my family have had this done fairly regularly due to autoimmune disorders, although in our case its mostly due to overactive/aggresive immune response that requires dampening down and thus the necessity of having "enough" antibodies in case the immune system gets dampened down to much and you get infected

kev994

Reaction score
The natives are restless....

COVID-19 on the Global Peace Index 2021

The emergence of a global pandemic impacted violence significantly. While violent conflicts improved, the number of violent demonstrations increased substantially – a total of more than 5,000 Covid-19 related violent events occurred this past year.

Pandemic-related violent incidents occurred in 158 countries around the world.

This increase in COVID-19 related violent incidents, caused by violent demonstrations and riots, was fuelled by various changes:
  • The imposed COVID-19 restrictions
  • Anti-government sentiments
  • Lockdowns
  • Increasing unemployment rate
  • Lack of economic support
Additionally, the pandemic caused an increase in racially charged assaults against people of Asian descent.

The report records that in Australia, 85% of Asian-Australians experienced pandemic-related discrimination during 2020. In addition, Vancouver witnessed a stunning 717% increase in hate crime during the pandemic.

Besides the political instability and civil unrest stemming from the pandemic, there was also an increase in interpersonal violence, domestic violence, and feelings of safety experienced a significant impact.

Furthermore, the report found that social isolation and financial stress most likely have had an impact on the homicide rate, but exact data remains tentative.

COVID-19 has led to uncertainty and radical changes in our everyday lives. While the report conveys the still limited knowledge of the full impact of the pandemic, it asserts that the uncertain economic conditions “increases the likelihood of political instability and violent demonstrations.”

GPI-2021-fig1.4-768x444-1.jpg

Sounds like a giant mental health problem. How do I invest in that? Prozac? I missed Pfizer…

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Sounds like a giant mental health problem. How do I invest in that? Prozac? I missed Pfizer…

Pffffffffttt...

My money's on Tear Gas ;)

Maker of tear gas used on D.C. protesters gets millions from federal government

Safariland, the controversial maker of the tear gas used to clear protesters near the White House last week, and two of its distributors have generated more than $137 million in sales from the U.S. government in the past three and a half years, according to a CBS MoneyWatch review of federal spending data.

The sales, up from $83 million in the prior three-and-a-half-year period, do not include money spent by local law-enforcement agencies on Safariland tear gas. There have been multiple reports of tear gas used on protesters in Minneapolis, where George Floyd died in police custody last month, and elsewhere in recent weeks as protests against police racism spread across the country.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
This is a temporary measure. You could make the same case for pregnancy "Good people who won't be able to travel to train or do ops so they hang out in Canada and someone else picks up their slack. I'm not sold on them being worth keeping".

What is the unreasonable risk if all accommodated members are testing 3 times a week? The risk is mitigated at that point, and they aren't allowed to attend non-work events right now.
Not disagreeing with you in principle. I have no issues with a hybrid rapid testing/vaccination model.

At the end of the day, people are being put on remedial measures for failing to follow lawful authority, that’s it. And the CDS is expediting the process.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
I know there's some cases of people being away from the unit lines/no access to MonMass and attestations were unable to be completed. Medical leave comes to mind (at least 1 case that I know of personally).

Attestation refusals, refusal to vaccinate are treated, or should be treated, differently than accommodation requests that are processing; no admin action should take place, work considerations should be taken by CofC and regular, recorded testing is supposed to be happening. I've gone to pick up testing kits once to date for mbr's who are waiting accn decisions and I know those with pending decisions are facing no admin actions at this time.
That’s accounted for in the directive and subsequent frag O. Leave, etc.

Everybody here were issued a recorded warning after their accommodation request was denied, not before.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
That’s accounted for in the directive and subsequent frag O. Leave, etc.

Everybody here were issued a recorded warning after their accommodation request was denied, not before.
I would hope that between the refusal of their accommodation and the issuance of the RW they were given an opportunity to make a newly informed decision, and that it wasn’t “Hey, come on in. First, your accommodation was denied, and second, here’s your RW.”

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
There is a 24 hour period between mbr being briefed on notice of intent to place on RMs and RMs being issued (for IC and RW); well, there should be. Screenshot of 6.4 of the DAOD attached.

There's really 2 issues being dealt with; refusal to attest on MonMass, and refusal to vaccinate. I'm aware of some files where mbr's are vaccinated but won't do the MonMass attestation.

6.5 of the applic DAOD details the requirements for C & P; additional requirements as jeopardy to the mbr increases.

Attachments

• RMs Process.jpg
    RMs Process.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 2

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Well the attestation is much easier. “Cpl Bloggins, sit down at this computer. You are ordered to complete a truthful attestation of your COVID vaccination status on Monitor MASS.”

If Bloggins refuses the order, charge with same, and meanwhile proceed with the remedial measures process to cover the administrative side.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a real need for a separate C Army Frag O; in situations like these, I often wonder if the additional layers help or hinder.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
If you stop every layer of the Army from inflicting their own mostly cut and paste version of direction from higher, you'd be the one responsible for uniform, more timely approaches and reduced staff officer requirements.

Do you really want that on your conscience?

I always enjoyed being handed a 40-50 page document at the start of the training year, or maybe a month or so into the training year, which contained everything up to and including CDS direction, and being told to get on with it.

It saves so much time for LCols with better things to do like, you know, planning for their exalted leadership of the National Kilted Regiments' Conference.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Oh, what a surprise:

Public Health Agency of Canada failed to keep tabs on most quarantine hotel stays, says AG​

New audit says PHAC only had records to verify hotel stays for about a quarter of air travellers​

Auditor General Karen Hogan tabled four reports this afternoon in the House of Commons looking at COVID-19 measures. One of the reports examines enforcement of quarantine hotel stays and testing requirements from July 1, 2020 to the end of June 2021.

At the start of the year — in addition to the already required 14-day quarantine period — the government introduced new rules for incoming travellers meant to limit the spread of COVID-19 and its variants.

Travellers crossing by both land and air were required to show a negative COVID-19 test no more than 72 hours before their scheduled flights to Canada.

Air and land travellers were also required to undergo both on-arrival and post-arrival COVID-19 tests. In addition, incoming air travellers were required to pre-book and pre-pay for a three-day stay at a government-authorized hotel, where they were to remain in quarantine while waiting for their on-arrival test results.

Hogan's audit found that the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) didn't have an automated system to track whether travellers ordered to quarantine at authorized hotels actually did so.

It discovered PHAC only had records to verify hotel stays for about a quarter of air travellers for the February to June 2021 period.

"Because the agency did not have records of stay for 75 per cent of travellers who flew into Canada, it did not know whether those who were required to quarantine at government authorized hotels had complied," said Hogan.

"In addition, the agency did not reliably track whether air travellers who had been notified of positive COVID-19 tests had stayed at a government-authorized hotel as required."

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Would those be the ones who were sexually harassed/assaulted at the Government-assigned hotels?

Public safety minister grilled over quarantine hotel security after alleged assaults
OTTAWA -- Public Safety Minister Bill Blair faced harsh questions Wednesday over security related to the federal quarantine program after reports of two incidents of alleged sexual assault.

At a parliamentary committee hearing, Conservative MP Shannon Stubbs grilled Blair over safeguards for guests at federally approved quarantine hotels.

She also questioned him about background checks for screening officers who work at the hotels and conduct compliance checks at homes of Canadians quarantined due to COVID-19.

Blair told the committee that quarantine measures have been effective and that any allegations should be thoroughly investigated.

He diverted questions on the hotel quarantine program to the Public Health Agency of Canada that oversees it, saying he has no jurisdiction over the file and that Stubbs is "simply misinformed" on his role.

"Thank you for the condescension," Stubbs replied.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
If you stop every layer of the Army from inflicting their own mostly cut and paste version of direction from higher, you'd be the one responsible for uniform, more timely approaches and reduced staff officer requirements.

Do you really want that on your conscience?

THAT was a great thing to read after mashing keyboards for an extra 2-3 hours on 'stuff' at the Sqn before being set free...

standing ovation clap GIF

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
What the frack?

As Manitoba ICUs reach critical capacity, doctors call for military aid, crackdown on order violators​

Manitoba intensive care units are severely short on space, prompting a group of doctors to issue a plea for the military to be called in and stronger enforcement of public health restrictions.

Multiple hospital sources told CBC that the province's ICUs are struggling under huge pressure, with the ICU beds at Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre, St. Boniface Hospital and Grace Hospital as well as those in Brandon nearly full this weekend.

The sources say several cardiac surgeries were cancelled Friday and the recovery room at St. Boniface Hospital was closed over the weekend so that nurses could be redeployed to ICU.

"I think there's very little question that they're going to have to start sending patients out of province on ventilators yet again," said Dr. Dan Roberts, a critical care doctor at Health Sciences Centre.

Roberts, who penned a letter to the province signed by nine other doctors in the province, says ICU capacity cannot be expanded.

kev994

Reaction score
What the frack?

As Manitoba ICUs reach critical capacity, doctors call for military aid, crackdown on order violators​

Manitoba intensive care units are severely short on space, prompting a group of doctors to issue a plea for the military to be called in and stronger enforcement of public health restrictions.

Multiple hospital sources told CBC that the province's ICUs are struggling under huge pressure, with the ICU beds at Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre, St. Boniface Hospital and Grace Hospital as well as those in Brandon nearly full this weekend.

The sources say several cardiac surgeries were cancelled Friday and the recovery room at St. Boniface Hospital was closed over the weekend so that nurses could be redeployed to ICU.

"I think there's very little question that they're going to have to start sending patients out of province on ventilators yet again," said Dr. Dan Roberts, a critical care doctor at Health Sciences Centre.

Roberts, who penned a letter to the province signed by nine other doctors in the province, says ICU capacity cannot be expanded.

They’ve had issues getting a reasonable vaccination rate in the Southern health region; off the top of my head I think I read yesterday that it was around 57%.