• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Kat Stevens

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Sit at home fat dumb and happy and wait for that gov cheque to come in.
Sit at home? Only when the ground is too stiff to kick a shovel in to. Fat? Okay, fair enough. Dumb? I guess you'd be a better judge of my mental acuity than me. Happy? As a pig in shit. I can't wait for the news from you that you've turned down your pension because you don't ever want to sit at home and be fat dumb and happy. Do yourself a favour, don't get old.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The amount of people I know who actually support mandates and restrictions are few and far between.
From what I see, those who tend to continue to support mandates and restrictions are older retirees or those who have jobs that will still pay them to stay home, and like you said the restrictions don’t affect them much.

In the beginning probably a majority supported some measures, but now 24 months later after what we’ve all seen and experienced… I’d guess 75-80% of the general population are now completely done with all of it.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Other side of the coin; do you think the average citizen is a good barometer? The TikTok obsessed, "me me me" society that is familiar to North America these days??

Maybe we're actually decent barometers, because we're also pretty good at determining stuff that is too heavy handed? I support some of the measures some of the provinces in the Maritimes have done since this all started (NS), but think others have been too heavy handed and crossed lines that they didn't have the authority to cross (PEI and NB).
I think most serving CAF members are used to the rigid dictatorial environment of service, unlimited liability, orders etc…and I also don’t think the general population as a whole are tiktok obsessed selfish people. So I stand by my statement. No offence intended there EITS.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
From what I see, those who tend to continue to support mandates and restrictions are older retirees or those who have jobs that will still pay them to stay home, and like you said the restrictions don’t affect them much.

In the beginning probably a majority supported some measures, but now 24 months later after what we’ve all seen and experienced… I’d guess 75-80% of the general population are now completely done with all of it.
There is COVID fatigue, no doubt about that.

But your numbers are way off.

So 35% maybe are done with it all.

But it also seems that a majority of vaccinated people are fine with limiting the unvaccinated access to society.

Fishbone Jones

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Fruit and vegetables are just a small part of cross border trade. Trudeau and Biden are responsible for the mandates, but family providers, taxpayers and average Joe are the ones that are paying for this. Your paycheck just got smaller...........again. The 80% trade between countries is going to dwindle to a trickle. We've been working through cross border since the beginning. Why the sudden move to choke it off?

New trucking vaccine mandate is likely to make fruit and vegetables more expensive​

• Vaccine mandates for truckers who haul goods over the US-Canada border could cause price hikes.
  • The CEO of Canadawide Fruits told Bloomberg the cost of transporting produce climbed 25% last week.
  • Canada imposed the mandate on Saturday, and the US plans to require vaccine passports on January 22.
New vaccine mandates for truck drivers are likely to increase the cost of produce.

The cost of transporting fruit from California and Arizona to Canada climbed 25% last week, George Pitsikoulis, the CEO of Canadawide Fruits, told Bloomberg on Monday.

The executive, in Montreal, mentioned a lack of truck drivers who were able to cross the border between the US and Canada because of a vaccine mandate that cut US trucking capacity in half, data from the American Trucking Association indicated. The group estimated that about 50% to 60% of US truck drivers were fully vaccinated. Stephen Laskowski, the president of the Canadian Trucking Alliance, told The Wall Street Journal that a survey of Canadian truckers suggested that over 10% of truckers in the country weren't vaccinated.

Canada's vaccine mandate for truckers was imposed on Saturday. The new rules require US truckers to present proof of vaccination in order to cross the border, while Canadian truckers without a vaccine passport are required to quarantine and take a COVID-19 test when they reenter from the US.

The US plans to impose a similar mandate on January 22, and trucking companies have already begun to boost their rates to compete for vaccinated truck drivers.

In December, Fuel Transport, a Canadian logistics company that employs about 90 truckers, began offering a $10,000 incentive to truck drivers who had received their first COVID-19 vaccine dose. In January, one of Canada's largest trucking firms, Bison Transport, started offering $2,000 signing bonuses for vaccinated truckers — an extra cost that Rob Penner, the company's CEO, said would ultimately be passed on to consumers.

James Ward, the president of Truckload Carriers Association, previously told Insider that he believed the vaccine mandate would exacerbate the shortage of truck drivers and make it more difficult to bring in new ones, as well as add to longer wait times at the border.

Eighty percent of trade between the US and Canada moves by truck. Canada accounts for one of the US's largest export markets. Trade between the two countries totaled over $600 billion in 2019.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
There is COVID fatigue, no doubt about that.

But your numbers are way off.

So 35% maybe are done with it all.

But it also seems that a majority of vaccinated people are fine with limiting the unvaccinated access to society.
You might believe that if you’re operating under the assumption the legacy media is an honest trusted protector of our democracy, and still a check and balance on government. But now the only time “check” is used to describe the relationship between media and government it is spelled “cheque”.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
You might believe that if you’re operating under the assumption the legacy media is an honest trusted protector of our democracy, and still a check and balance on government. But now the only time “check” is used to describe the relationship between media and government it is spelled “cheque”.
I’m not prone to conspiracy theories, no.

But I’m also not going to trust “your” guess.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I’m not prone to conspiracy theories, no.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But I’m also not going to trust “your” guess.
Remius still believes $600 million in funding buys absolutely zero influence. :ROFLMAO:

The notion that hundreds of millions buys influence is, in his mind, a conspiracy theory.

That’s like thinking “rebates” from pharmaceutical companies are morally superior to “kick backs”.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Remius still believes $600 million in funding buys absolutely zero influence. :ROFLMAO:

The notion that hundreds of millions buys influence is, in his mind, a conspiracy theory.

That’s like thinking “rebates” from pharmaceutical companies are morally superior to “kick backs”.
Ah yes. Putting words into people’s mouths.

Why don’t you actually come up with an actual argument to support your claim that 85% are done with everything beyond your best guess based on your echo chamber.

So to what end? You are linking big media and big government as to wanting to continue this. What’s the end game? What are they achieving?

Good2Golf

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
According to CV, the flow through costs won’t matter to the fat, dumb and happy Govt pensioners in here. Especially true it would follow logically, because most of the fat, dumb and happy pensions will be indexed.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The UK just ended mandatory masking, compulsory work from home, and mandatory vaccine passports.

Whats Canada doing again?

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
The UK just ended mandatory masking, compulsory work from home, and mandatory vaccine passports.

Whats Canada doing again?
Have we peaked yet? The UK has. So any issues with waiting for us to get to that point as well?

Also still waiting on your 85% are done with this source.

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Have we peaked yet? The UK has. So any issues with waiting for us to get to that point as well?

Also still waiting on your 85% are done with this source.
You should go re-read my post.

I get the impression you’re quite happy with the suggestion a majority of Canadians prefer to segregate the unvaccinated from society.

Have we peaked? Don’t know, try this: COVID-19 daily epidemiology update - Canada.ca

QV

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I said it was my impressions based on what I’ve seen and experienced. Tough concept I know.