• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting.

Saw these three reasons why some people may - or may not - choose to wear a mask.

And then . . . for those of us who need as much advantage as possible . . .

COVID-19: Face masks make people look more attractive, study suggests​

Researchers say women found images of men wearing blue medical masks most attractive and believe this is because "we may find the wearing of medical masks reassuring and so feel more positive towards the wearer".

Face masks may have been among the more divisive issues of the COVID-19 pandemic but those reluctant to wear one may change their minds now that academics have discovered that people actually look more attractive when wearing one.

Yes, we know they cover up half of your face but a team of experts at Cardiff University has found that wearing a mask, in particular a blue medical mask, increases your facial attractiveness.

Dr Michael Lewis, from the university's School of Psychology and an expert in the psychology of faces, said that prior to the pandemic research found that medical face masks reduced attractiveness.

His team wanted to see if the "ubiquitous" use of face masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19 since 2020 has changed people's perceptions of those wearing them.

The study measured how different types of face masks changed the attractiveness of 40 male faces.

A group of women was asked to rate the attractiveness of images of male faces without a mask, wearing a cloth mask, a blue medical mask and holding a black book covering the area a mask would hide, on a scale of one to 10.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
And then . . . for those of us who need as much advantage as possible . . .

Meanwhile, the experts look on at the rookies ... ;)

passion GIF

Quirky

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
So you’re hypothesizing that though obesity has been a problem for decades it just happened to have suddenly spiked the death toll at the precise time that a fake pandemic occurred?
Look up the stats yourself. Majority of people hospitalized are obese or overweight, vaccinations just buy you time.

kev994

Reaction score
Look up the stats yourself. Majority of people hospitalized are obese or overweight, vaccinations just buy you time.
I’m not sure where you’re going with this… you want us to mandate diets and exercise instead of closing restaurants?

Quirky

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
As someone who's been dealing with this first hand, I assure you, they're not.

I can assure you, they are.

In July Public Health England estimated that having a BMI of 35 to 40 could increase a person’s chances of dying from covid-19 by 40%, while a BMI greater than 40 could increase the risk by 90%.1

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention has said that eight in 10 covid-19 related deaths reported in the country have been among people aged 65 years or over.2

Again, protect the venerable, or god forbid they protect themselves, and move on with life. Luckily this is what the provinces are doing despite the hysterical public minority. People by in large are fed up with this crap.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

Again, protect the venerable, or god forbid they protect themselves, and move on with life. Luckily this is what the provinces are doing despite the hysterical public minority. People by in large are fed up with this crap.
The provinces have been setting the rules from the get go.

dimsum

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Luckily this is what the provinces are doing despite the hysterical public minority. People by in large are fed up with this crap.
Right, that's why Canada has one of the highest vax and booster rates.

Because they're fed up with...vax mandates.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

How to have fun with anti-vaxx / conspiracy theory folks: Point out that by removing mask mandates, governments are just making it easier to employ facial recognition technology.
Awesome Twitch GIF by Hyper RPG

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score

Lol. The guy who fixes planes just told the guy who works frontline with COVID patients in a medical setting that he‘s wrong about patient characteristics. Amazing.

Even better, Quirky goes on to double down with stats that don’t speak to his specific claim. The claim was “Majority of people hospitalized are obese or overweight”, and the subsequent article spoke to risks attach to certain comorbidities, NOT the abundance of obesity in the overall hospitalized patient population.

There’s not staying in your lane, and then there’s looking at the car in the lane beside you and deliberately smashing into it. This is the latter.

Last edited:

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

BMI is one of the worst optics to measure obesity, I could be 6'3, 210lbs of muscle and be over weight, healthy by any other standard, but BMI says I wouldn't be.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Lol. The guy who fixes planes just told the guy who works frontline with COVID patients in a medical setting that he‘s wrong about patient characteristics. Amazing.

Even better, Quirky goes on to double down with stats that don’t speak to his specific claim. The claim was “Majority of people hospitalized are obese or overweight”, and the subsequent article spoke to risks attach to certain comorbidities, NOT the abundance of obesity in the overall hospitalized patient population.

There’s not staying in your lane, and then there’s looking at the car in the lane beside you and deliberately smashing into it. This is the latter.

As much as I find Quirky's continuing arguments to verge on trolling (separate from his selfish a***holery point of view), he is probably correct in his assertion about age, weight and hospitalization rates. There are probably (actually, definitely) several links that I could immediately provide that support it, however I won't. He can do his own damn research and find ones that specifically deal with his statements. That being said, the conclusions that he seems to reach and the solutions that he suggests are rarely backed up by data and the reality of society.

As someone who's been dealing with this first hand, I assure you, they're not.

And as strange as it may seem, Mike is also probably right. His dealings with it on the frontline are observational, but anecdotal, and likely limited to the facilities in which he works. Without further information I can only make assumptions or ask further questions*. One of those assumptions is that the majority of the patients that he sees "don't look obese or overweight". When a majority of the population fall within that criteria, it becomes the normal body appearance, is not noted as unusual by the average person, and with the potential for an increased tendency to be less noticeable by clinicians unless there are other underlying morbidities. I welcome Mike to tell me how uncorrect I am in suggesting any shortfall in his practice of medicine (and I likely am), or how patient profiles have changed as this pandemic progresses.

*(and that's where the "Let The Old Die, I Want To Do As I Please Twins" fall short - they don't ask the further questions that their selected data and questionable articles should elicit, they stop when their bias is confirmed)

PuckChaser

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Right, that's why Canada has one of the highest vax and booster rates.

Because they're fed up with...vax mandates.
Vax mandates added 3% to the total in Ontario for folks getting vaccinated. It wasn't this big "win" you think it was. We're never getting above 90% total eligible population fully vaccinated, no matter how many coercive measures you put in place. At a certain point, the divisive politics of pitting Canadians fails when that 90% realizes the politicians reneged on their promise of a return to normal if you just get vaccinated. If our Healthcare system can't handle 10% unvaccinated folks, who are predominately from a non-severe illness age bracket, then that's where the problem is not those dirty unvaccinated lepers.