• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Brihard said:
Just your friendly reminder that every year upwards of 10 million people will be infected with Influenza, maybe half a million will be hospitalized, and over 12,000 will die.

Wash your damned hands.

And those numbers seem more in line with just in the USA.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

But still, wash your damn hands.  And get vaccinated.

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
While waiting for information from the Canadian Public Health Agency on what measures will be taken if and when Canadians (and/or Canadians-adjacent) are evacuated from Wuhan, the CDC has issue a quarantine order for those Americans who were flown to March Air Reserve Base.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0131-federal-quarantine-march-air-reserve-base.html
CDC Issues Federal Quarantine Order to Repatriated U.S. Citizens at March Air Reserve Base

Media Statement
For Immediate Release: Friday, January 31, 2020
(404) 639-3286

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), under statutory authority of the Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary, has issued federal quarantine orders to all 195 United States citizens who repatriated to the U.S. on January 29, 2020. The quarantine will last 14 days from when the plane left Wuhan, China.  This action is a precautionary and preventive step to maximize the containment of the virus in the interest of the health of the American public.

This legal order will protect the health of the repatriated citizens, their families, and their communities. These individuals will continue to be housed at the March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, California. Medical staff will continue to monitor the health of each traveler, including temperature checks and observation for respiratory symptoms.  If an individual presents symptoms, medical care will be readily available. Even if a screening test comes back negative from CDC’s laboratory results, it does not conclusively mean an individual is at no risk of developing the disease over the likely 14-day incubation period.

This legal order is part of a public health response that is necessary to prevent the transmission and spread of this virus in the U.S.  The World Health Organization (WHO) yesterday declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. The current epidemic in Mainland China has demonstrated the virus’s capacity to spread globally. CDC is using one of the tools in our toolbox as a way to contain the potential impact of this novel virus on the United States.

This outbreak investigation is ongoing; we learn more every day about this newly emerging virus.  First and foremost, CDC is committed to protecting the health and safety of all Americans.  While CDC continues to believe the immediate risk to the larger American public is low at this time, this legal order has been put in place as a necessary step to fully assess and care for these repatriated Americans, protecting them, their loved ones, and their communities.

For the latest information on the outbreak, visit CDC’s Novel Coronavirus 2019 website.

OceanBonfire

Reaction score

Experts in the United States have complained of spotty epidemiological information from China.

Also, the W.H.O. cannot share information with Taiwan, which now has eight coronavirus patients, because Taiwan is not a member of the United Nations.

The agency “doesn’t want to upset its major stakeholders,” said Charles Clift, a senior consulting fellow at the Chatham House, an international affairs research group in London. “China carries the political clout that other countries don’t.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/health/coronavirus-world-health-organization.html

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Sharing information about the spread of a virus so that innocent people can be better taken care of shouldn't be political, for either China or the UN.  Shamefully pathetic.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
More on the CAN-CHN connection story from AFP's fact-checkers ...
... The claims appear to be based on a mischaracterization of August 2019 reports about a transfer of Ebola and Nipah viruses from a Canadian lab to Beijing, and an apparently separate issue involving two Chinese researchers at Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory (NML) in Winnipeg, in the central province of Manitoba.

The NML is part of the federal Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC), whose senior media officer Tammy Jarbeau told AFP by email that “this is disinformation. (These) statements made on social networks have no factual basis.”
The RCMP investigation

In July 2019, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) reported that two researchers with ties to China were removed from the NML in Winnipeg by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) for a possible “policy breach.” The article did not mention the coronavirus.

Robert Cyrenne, spokesman for the RCMP in Manitoba, told AFP by email that “there is no connection between the outbreak in China and any RCMP investigation. Any reporting of such is misinformation.”

Cyrenne confirmed to AFP that the investigation involving the researchers is still ongoing.

Dr Xiangguo Qiu, who helped develop a treatment for the Ebola virus, her husband Keding Cheng, a biologist who has published papers on coronavirus strains such as SARS-CoV, and Chinese students working under them had their security access revoked for Canada’s only level-4 lab, a facility equipped for research on the deadliest diseases ...

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I got curious, dug a bit, and found the Quarantine Act, our applicable federal legislation.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/q-1.1/FullText.html

Long and the short of it, 'quarantine officers' and 'screening officers' can be designated, can detain and assess travelers, and hold them in quarantine. Lots of ministerial powers to do stuff to protect Canada form communicable diseases coming in. Peace officers (CBSA, RECMP, provincial/local police) have arrest authority if someone doesn't play ball.

So, the legal mechanisms exist to have Canada fly an aircraft in somewhere, detain them in quarantine, and have police (presumably RCMP) assigned to enforce if necessary.

BeyondTheNow

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously not working for the Public Health Agency of Canada, I don’t fully understand why this is the case.

A vaccine for H1N1 was all but shoved down my throat when the panic was ensuing. I was pregnant at the time, and although I can’t recall the exact time frame, the inoculation came out well before a 1 year mark from the time the outbreak began. As with coronavirus and its various types, similar strains existed so there was something to work with in terms of creating a suitable vaccine.

I worked in a hospital around the time of SARS and it was pandemonium. While it’s generally understood now that the reaction was unbalanced compared to the actual risk, the talks of vaccinations were swirling very quickly.

There are other examples of foreign strains of viruses which have circulated within our borders, and vaccines were made available within months. With the severity of this particular virus under scrutiny depending on the source, going by previous instances, I’m not clear why this could purportedly take so long.

In any event, many of those in the know in Canada don’t feel coronavirus is a substantial worry. I’ve read multiple sources repeating the instructions given from Dr. Tam et. al. to simply wash hands and follow other standard practises for reducing the spread of flu.

Coronavirus updates: Vaccine will likely take a year to come, Canada's chief public health officer says

Canada’s chief public health officer says it will likely take at least a year before a vaccine is developed to protect people against the new coronavirus that is spreading around the globe...

...Tam, who updated members of the House of Commons health committee on the outbreak, said the risk of catching the virus in Canada remains low.

And she said Canada and the world are much better prepared to deal with a potential pandemic than they were during the outbreak of SARS, another coronavirus that killed more than 700 people worldwide from 2002-04.

For now, the only treatment available for those who catch the virus is “supportive care,” Tam said. But she said countries around the world are collaborating to see if any existing anti-viral remedies are useful in this case...

A number of vaccines have previously been developed for other coronaviruses and she said countries around the globe are pulling together to see if they can accelerate development of a new vaccine that would protect against this particular strain...

...”But what I can say is that even with the most rapid acceleration, I don’t believe we are going to see a vaccine that is ready probably for a year,” Tam said. “So at least we have to plan for the fact that we’re going to be managing this particular virus with no specific vaccine.”

More at link:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/wuhan-china-coronavirus-outbreak-latest-news-updates

Czech_pivo

Subscriber
Reaction score
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0131-federal-quarantine-march-air-reserve-base.html
[/quote]

Wait, these Americans getting free Government run health care?

I%u2019m willing to bet that it%u2019s the first health care check that a number of them have had in years.  If I were them I%u2019d be asking for all possible tests available, free on Uncle Sam%u2019s dime while I had the chance.

Czech_pivo

Subscriber
Reaction score
BeyondTheNow said:
Obviously not working for the Public Health Agency of Canada, I don’t fully understand why this is the case.

A vaccine for H1N1 was all but shoved down my throat when the panic was ensuing. I was pregnant at the time, and although I can’t recall the exact time frame, the inoculation came out well before a 1 year mark from the time the outbreak began. As with coronavirus and its various types, similar strains existed so there was something to work with in terms of creating a suitable vaccine.

I worked in a hospital around the time of SARS and it was pandemonium. While it’s generally understood now that the reaction was unbalanced compared to the actual risk, the talks of vaccinations were swirling very quickly.

There are other examples of foreign strains of viruses which have circulated within our borders, and vaccines were made available within months. With the severity of this particular virus under scrutiny depending on the source, going by previous instances, I’m not clear why this could purportedly take so long.

In any event, many of those in the know in Canada don’t feel coronavirus is a substantial worry. I’ve read multiple sources repeating the instructions given from Dr. Tam et. al. to simply wash hands and follow other standard practises for reducing the spread of flu.

Coronavirus updates: Vaccine will likely take a year to come, Canada's chief public health officer says

More at link:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/wuhan-china-coronavirus-outbreak-latest-news-updates

You know they never bothered with getting a vaccine developed for SARS because it completely died out in July of 03?

What make you think this one will be any different? 3 of the 4 known cases here in Canada are already discharged from hospital.

BeyondTheNow

Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
Czech_pivo said:
You know they never bothered with getting a vaccine developed for SARS because it completely died out in July of 03?

What make you think this one will be any different? 3 of the 4 known cases here in Canada are already discharged from hospital.

I don’t recall stating one way or the other that I thought there’d be any difference. What I stated was that I wasn’t clear why the time frame of a year is even being suggested given other scenarios I cited.

And I’d heard that about SARS, yes, although I never specifically read up on it on my own. Again, the talk(s) of vaccinations were spinning very quickly. Whether they came to fruition or not wasn’t the point I was getting at...

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
BeyondTheNow said:
... I’m not clear why this could purportedly take so long ...
From what little I've read about that bit (and, as always, happy to be corrected by people who are way more science-y than me), it seems the human testing is likely to eat up a fair bit of time to make sure anything developed is safe (although the bit higlighted below also suggests the "who pays?" question will loom at some point, too).  Here's  a bit of detail in reasonably layperson language about the hoops that need to be jumped thru ...
... U.S. health officials are fast-tracking work on a coronavirus vaccine, hoping to start human trials within the next three months.

Even so, the fastest researchers could get a vaccine for the current outbreak to market would be a year, said Peter Hotez, co-director of Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Vaccine Development, who helped develop a vaccine candidate for SARS. And that’s assuming a best-case scenario where researchers immediately find something that works, the animal trials confirm it works and there are no complications in human trials.

“The problem is each vaccine is different. It’s not like you can snap your fingers and make a treatment,” Hotez said in a phone interview.
Understanding the pathogen

Before researchers can begin human trials, they must first have a firm understanding of the pathogen. Scientists are in the early stages of understanding the novel coronavirus but they do know its most important molecule is a spike protein, a multifunctional mechanism that allows the virus to enter the host, said Dr. Maria Bottazzi, co-director of Texas Children’s Hospital Center for Vaccine Development.

“In the coronavirus — both the original SARS virus and Wuhan virus — it’s called the receptor-binding domain of the spike protein,” she said. “We, therefore, [would] use that as our ideal vaccine candidate.”

The next step is a preclinical toxicology study that assesses whether a drug is safe to use and is tested on animals, Bottazzi said. That usually takes three to six months depending on the study’s design, she said. If the evaluation is successful, scientists will then look to begin the first human trials, also known as phase 1 clinical trials, Bottazzi said.

“Those are usually done in normal, adult, healthy volunteers,” she said. “It generally doesn’t take more than maybe 20 or 30 people.”
Roadblocks

However, even if the scientists successfully get to an early stage trial, they could run into roadblocks during the vaccine development process that could extend the timeline for deployment. Bottazzi said there will likely be regulatory or operational obstacles, such as finding enough human volunteers. Then there are, of course, economic and financial hurdles, she said.

“What kind of business model? Who is going to pick up the cost?” she said. “Developing biologics can cost hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars.”

Hotez said he ran into a funding roadblock when developing a vaccine candidate for SARS in 2011. The level of investor interest had been “remarkably little,” he recalled, because the SARS epidemic was no longer a huge problem. This is an issue with the system, he said.
Record time

But thanks to SARS and success with the Ebola outbreak, some public health experts believe we could have a vaccine for the novel virus sooner than expected.

“We may have a vaccine in record time,” former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said.

Lawrence Gostin, a professor and faculty director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University, said due to the advancements in science, it wouldn’t surprise him to have a vaccine in hand within a few months.

“We are light years beyond where we were in biomedical technology than during SARS,” he said. “The world has changed and all for the better.” ...
OP edit to add:  Here's a bit of the range of what's being said right now about this ...

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
"Ottawa deploys officials to China to co-ordinate airlift of Canadian citizens"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-coronavirus-airlift-update-1.5449419

BLUF: GAC has 325 requests for repatriation from Hubei province. A plan has been chartered; type and capacity not known. Details are being hammered out, not yet determined if there will be quarantine, where it's going, etc. Only Canadian passport holders will be allowed on. Nobody who is symptomatic or tests positive will be allowed on.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I hope they err on the side of caution WRT qurantine.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Brihard said:
I hope they err on the side of caution WRT qurantine.
As others up-thread have mentioned, where would Canada medically quarantine 325 folks for 2 weeks or so?

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
milnews.ca said:
, where would Canada medically quarantine 325 folks for 2 weeks or so?

Home?

I don't know how it works in 2020. But, back in 2003, 436 Toronto paramedics were placed in a 10-day home quarantine for SARS.

Which meant being isolated from those persons within the home, continuously wearing an N95 respirator, and taking their temperature twice a day.

Six contracted SARS and were placed in intensive care.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
Update: The Wuhan charter will land at CFB Trenton, and passengers will be subject to screening and a “period of observation”.

Additional update: 14 day quarantine in Trenton.

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
Brihard said:
Update: The Wuhan charter will land at CFB Trenton, and passengers will be subject to screening and a “period of observation”.

Additional update: 14 day quarantine in Trenton.

Trenton.... 14 days stuck doing nothing in Trenton.

Will they be entitled to a psych eval afterwards? ;)

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The Global Affairs Canada info-machine version ...
The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Health, and the Honourable Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence, today announced the Government of Canada’s plan to assist Canadians who have requested help in departing from Wuhan.

Government officials have reached out to Canadians and are continuing to offer information and assistance. The Government of Canada has chartered a plane that is standing by. It will land in Hanoi, Vietnam and deploy to Wuhan, where the airspace is currently closed, once the Government of China has given authorization to land. Work is also underway to comply with other Chinese requirements, including providing manifest details in advance of the flight departure and further documentation on the Canadians wishing to depart. Additionally, government officials and Canadian Armed Forces medical personnel are currently on their way to Hanoi and in the process of obtaining the necessary visas from the government of China to enter Wuhan.

Canadian officials are in constant contact with Canadians who have requested assistance to facilitate their departure from the affected region. Staff from the Embassy of Canada to China in Beijing, as well as members of Global Affairs Canada’s Standing Rapid Deployment Team, are now deployed to Wuhan to prepare for the departure of the flight.

To protect the health and safety of Canadians—both those who are coming to and those already in Canada—the returning individuals will undergo a thorough health screening before boarding, during the flight and upon arrival at CFB Trenton, Ontario.

The Government of Canada is working with provincial, territorial and local health authorities to support Canadians who may require further medical attention to be safely transferred to the health-care system upon their arrival. All other returning Canadians, including staff and flight crew, will remain at CFB Trenton for 14 days for further medical assessment and observation, and be provided with all the necessary medical and other supports as needed to ensure the health and safety of all Canadians.

Canadians in China in need of emergency consular assistance can contact the Embassy of Canada to China in Beijing at 86 (10) 5139 4000. Canadians can also call Global Affairs Canada’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre (EWRC) in Ottawa at +1 613 996 8885 (collect calls are accepted where available) or email sos@international.gc.ca. It is important to note that individuals in Hubei Province must contact the EWRC in advance to make the necessary arrangements to access the evacuation flight.
Quotes

“The Government of Canada takes the health and safety of Canadians, both at home and abroad, very seriously. We are taking action to return Canadians home from Wuhan, China, while ensuring that appropriate measures are in place to prevent and limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.”

- Hon. François-Phillippe Champagne, Minister of Foreign Affairs

“We have been working with all levels of government, public health officials and our international partners to ensure the safe return home of Canadians from Hubei Province, including staff and the flight crew. Our plan is focused on ensuring the health and safety of all Canadians.”

- Hon Patty Hajdu, Minister of Health

“The Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces always stand ready to help Canadians in need. I am proud of our highly trained medical personnel who will assist in maintaining the health and safety of those travelling from Wuhan. As requested, our personnel and facilities will be made available to help the returning Canadians. We will continue to work with our federal partners and are prepared to assist wherever we are needed.”

- Hon. Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Experts think the virus is transmitted through the digestive tract.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-may-transmit-through-digestive-tract

Some patients infected with the novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, had reported diarrhea when they first fell ill, and not a fever, which has been a more common sign of the pneumonia-like illness. The finding is significant because researchers have largely focused on transmission via respiratory droplets from an infected person.

The first of the now 11 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the U.S. had suffered from diarrhea before falling ill with the disease, according to Bloomberg.