• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
Ontario has biggest single-day jump as health officials confirm 351 cases of COVID-19

Monday’s large increase to the number of patients infected with the novel coronavirus is the province’s biggest single-day jump.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-has-biggest-single-day-jump-as-health-officials-confirm-351-cases-of-covid-19-1.4874028

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
I know!  Let's sell everything, drive from Quebec to Whitehorse, then fly to a small community in the Yukon to hide from the virus!"

"We were busy dealing with a life-altering pandemic, and this couple just strolls off the plane like cartoon characters," said First Nations chief Dana Tizya-Tramm.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7kza79/quebec-couple-drove-to-old-crow-yukon-to-escape-coronavirus-angering-locals

Yukon is a wonderful, hospitable place, but they look after their own. Most of their First Nations are self-governing and generally have their poop in a group. Old Crow is a small, very isolated place- basically it's at the edge of Canada. It's very well positioned to keep itself safe through this- but there are also quite a few vulnerable people if the virus were to take hold. That can be generalized to all of Yukon, really.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score

I'm curious what they're counting that against; Ontario's numbers yesterday at 10:30 and Ontario's numbers today show a lager jump than that, unless the province had an evening update I wasn't aware of.

They seem to be catching up on testing backlog, so we'll have a bit of artificial inflation of numbers from that- but it's still worryingly high. I think today's data also indicates that testing overall has increased considerably. We might be getting closer to having higher quality data.

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
He's an astrophysicist, not a rocket scientist.

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device

https://twitter.com/natnewswatch/status/1244663444143509505

Weinie

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
I know!  Let's sell everything, drive from Quebec to Whitehorse, then fly to a small community in the Yukon to hide from the virus!"

"We were busy dealing with a life-altering pandemic, and this couple just strolls off the plane like cartoon characters," said First Nations chief Dana Tizya-Tramm.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7kza79/quebec-couple-drove-to-old-crow-yukon-to-escape-coronavirus-angering-locals

My favorite quote from the article:

“Living on the land here is dangerous. It’s not like you wake up in the morning and birds dress you."

dapaterson

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Weinie said:
My favorite quote from the article:

“Living on the land here is dangerous. It’s not like you wake up in the morning and birds dress you."

Exactly.

That's the job of sergeants-major.

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
'We've got good plans in place': Gen. Vance

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1717896259944

PM Trudeau ..., says military 'gearing up' for COVID-19 response

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that the military is “gearing up” to join the federal approach to combating the COVID-19 pandemic, and the federal government is expanding the wage subsidy for Canadian businesses, no matter their size.

“Over the past few weeks the Canadian Armed Forces have been gearing up to support our efforts and our communities, as we fight COVID-19,” Trudeau said.

He said that while the federal government has not yet received a formal request from a province or territory for the military’s intervention, whether sending supplies or to aid with the coming flood or forest fire seasons, they are ready to respond.

As part of the daily ministerial update on the federal plan to combat the novel coronavirus, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Chief of Defence Staff Jonathan Vance offered more details about how the Canadian Armed Forces are planning to handle any calls to assist pandemic response efforts.

Sajjan said the military has three priorities they are ready to enact: efforts to slow the spread; supporting vulnerable communities; and assisting provinces or municipalities with logistics or direct assistance if needed.

These efforts would be in addition to being able to respond to other emergencies, like the widespread flooding seen around this time last year.

The defence minister said there are up to 24,000 regular and reserve forces ready to deploy, and 10 units across the country that could react immediately to any request for assistance whether it be humanitarian, delivering supplies, or other actions.

Sajjan said that, in anticipation of a surge in cases, the military took precautionary measures to make sure their ranks stayed health and remained ready to respond, including ordering members to stay home.

“No matter how challenging the circumstances, when called upon, the Canadian Armed Forces are ready to serve,” he said.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pm-trudeau-updates-businesses-aid-eligibility-says-military-gearing-up-for-covid-19-response-1.4873770

24,000 Canadian military members ready to respond — if asked — to COVID-19 crisis

The federal government has mobilized 24,000 members of the Canadian Armed Forces — nearly one-quarter of all regular and reserve members —  to help provincial and municipal authorities who may need support during the novel coronavirus pandemic with everything from delivering supplies to assisting civilian authorities enforcing quarantine orders.

So far, no provincial government has asked for the help of the Armed Forces, but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Gen. Jonathan Vance, chief of the defence staff, said Monday that the Canadian Forces have been planning and preparing for the day when those requests might be made.

On Monday, Rear Admiral Craig Baines, commander of Maritime Forces Atlantic, ordered the crews of the HMCS Ville de Québec and the HMCS Moncton, along with a Cyclone helicopter detachment, to be ‘sequestered’ on April 1 in order to preserve their health. The Ville de Québec is a Halifax-class frigate with a crew complement of about 225 while the Moncton is a Kingston-class coastal defence vessel with a complement of about 40. The home ports of both vessels are in Halifax.

“During this time, tough decisions need to be made in order to preserve the Royal Canadian Navy’s ability to assist the civilian authorities and Canadians during this pandemic,” Baines wrote in a letter published Monday on Twitter.

Vance has also called up the country’s 31,062 reservists and 5,319 Canadian Rangers and ordered them into full-time service. That means reservists will be leaving their full-time civilian jobs to take up active duty.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6751025/coronavirus-canadian-military-prepared/

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score
"That means reservists will be leaving their full-time civilian jobs to take up active duty."

Unfortunately, the reality is that their jobs left them first. On the upside, that means we'll have more troops upon which to draw for a large operation.

BDTyre

Reaction score
daftandbarmy said:
"That means reservists will be leaving their full-time civilian jobs to take up active duty."

Unfortunately, the reality is that their jobs left them first. On the upside, that means we'll have more troops upon which to draw for a large operation.

I know that's been the case for a lot of guys, especially the younger ones. I've been fortunate enough to be able to keep working my civy job.

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I think ordering the reserves to active duty, while undoubtedly stressful for them, is a great test of what our reserves can actually do (not not do).

Maybe this will result in some sort of job legislation for our reserves, maybe guaranteed time off for mandated training.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Love how they are asking recently retired to come back but the whole recruiting system is down.

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
I think they're misquoting the MND's speech from earlier today. He did say 24k on deck, and that reservists are being activated. I didn't hear anything suggesting it's a mandatory callup, which would require an Order in Council from the GG (though of course PM makes that call and she rubber stamps).

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Vance has also called up the country’s 31,062 reservists and 5,319 Canadian Rangers and ordered them into full-time service. That means reservists will be leaving their full-time civilian jobs to take up active duty.

Doesn't that require the GG's signature?

BDTyre

Reaction score
We had a fan-out last week asking for volunteers to form a platoon. There will be a one month training period (one from 1 April to 30 April, and one from 1 May to 30 May for those that can't do April) and 39CBG is expected to provide approx. 400 troops. After that training period, I believe troops are put on standby in case a request for assistance is made.

FJAG

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
CanadianTire said:
Well that's news to me!

To me too. I didn't think that he had the authority. To the best of my knowledge the only authority that the CDS has to activate reservists is under s 275 of the NDA as Aid to the Civil Power which requires a riot or disturbance of the peace beyond the ability of a province and a requisition from the province's attorney general.

On the other hand the Governor in Council can call reservists out on Duty under s 33(2) of the NDA. Call out on "Duty" is not call out on "Active duty" (which is an American concept) nor even "Active Service" (which is the Canadian one).

Either this reporter doesn't know what Vance said or Vance doesn't know what he said (or is talking about).

:facepalm:

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
CanadianTire said:
We had a fan-out last week asking for volunteers to form a platoon. There will be a one month training period (one from 1 April to 30 April, and one from 1 May to 30 May for those that can't do April) and 39CBG is expected to provide approx. 400 troops. After that training period, I believe troops are put on standby in case a request for assistance is made.

What are they expecting to need a month of training for?