• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Socks (merged)

Roger

Inactive
Reaction score
Since I like to be prepared, I thought I would purchase some extra socks and underwear. I could not believe it when I was told I could not purchase them, I can purchase the plain grey socks and the green t-shirt but not the underwear or green socks.

Odd, I can buy German, British or US underwear and socks but in Canada I am not allowed. Typical of the Canadian Army.

I just saw a whole bunch of CDN army socks for sale at the MacGregor sock outlet just before Christmas. That funky green colour you just love to wear...maybe that‘s why you can‘t get any...they‘re all in the stores, not in Stores.... ;-)

In any case, if there‘s a MacGregor near you, maybe you can pick some up. The one I saw them at is in Lawrence Square, just a hop, skip and jump from Downsview.

Your socks, permiable shell (the black ones) AND underwear (even the new long johns) are exchangeable. Why do you need more? If you are going on an Op or FTX longer than a few days, there will be a laundry roto. Usually a two day turnaround. You are not allowed to purchase extra items of combat clothing because it is part of your individual scale of issue. The new socks and underwear are part of the clothe the soldier program, which is being issued as an all inclusive scale. Until everyone has been issued their basic scale, there will be no surplus for purchase.

I know this because you are not the first to make this complaint. When I asked the RQ about it over beers, that was the answer he gave me.

What you saw in the surplus were probably knock-offs or fell off the back of a truck. Even maybe a Big Green Truck. It wouldn‘t be the first time.

They weren‘t surplus, they were in a sock store. While I don‘t know whether or not they were of the current issue type, they were seconds...socks that were made for the Army, but which, due to minor imperfections such as slubs or something, would never be furnished to the Army. But of course, advertised as imperfect, the rest of us are free to buy them. And socks is socks.

When i said "surplus", I didn‘t mean Army surplus stores . I meant that even if the military had millions of pairs, they would not sell them until everyone had received their basic issue.

Hi I'm a cadet going into the resurves and I was just wondering about the socks that are being worn over in Afghanistan, because the wool socks are all we get issued.

:cdn: :salute: :cdn:

What specifically do you want to know about them?

I know the socks cadets get issued, we don't wear them. We have a different system.

Regards

On my first weekend of BMQ someone asked the same question. The platoon warrant replied by saying that he didnt care if you wore stockings and red panties under your cadpat as long as he couldnt see it. So I would gather that most of the guys in afghanistan probably went to the canex and picked up a 6 pack of socks.

Then again, I wouldnt know... just my guess.

The CF is issued a different sock system then cadets; as mentioned by RBD.  I'll assume that Vern will hop in with an answer soon.  All troops are issued a 3 piece sock system, black inners, green or gray wool outer socks.  I can not say for shore what socks the troops are wearing, as it is personal preference.

The last time I was in a desert environment, I was issued green nylon socks that totally sucked as they wore thru at the toes.  I would say with some uncertainty that the troops are wearing sport socks to help keep their feet partially dry.  The wool socks would just itch and suck.
Any comments from anyone overthere?
GP

I wore the issue desert socks most of the time over there, and our green issue wool when the weather turned cold. Sport socks for PT.

Mudcruncher,

You'll get a whole new scale of issue when you join the Reserves. Besides being told what to take, if and when you get around to deploying, you'll also know what works by that time. Don't worry about these tiny things that will be happening so far in the future, concentrate on the here and now.

For operational deployments, you get issued a few pairs of lightweight, tan-coloured wool socks, known by different names; desert socks, desert region socks, etc.

They're great for hot weather, and as far as I can tell were part of the old Tropical uniform (with the shorts)...so, unrolled all the way, they go right up to the 'ol wedding tackle...

:dontpanic:

recceguy, I couldn't agree more.  It does seem that someone is sweating the small shyte where he should be worrying about alot more than socks.  8)

Do we really need to continue a thread where a cadet is asking what socks he'll be wearing five years from now...................maybe??

recceguy said:
Do we really need to continue a thread where a cadet is asking what socks he'll be wearing five years from now...................maybe??

Nope. Socks..they go on your feet...you're wearing socks now...you'll be wearing some then..worry about those socks then. That's all he needs to know.

recceguy said:

Seems kinda pointless to begin with... it's not like they inspect your socks to see that you're wearing the issued gear... half the guys I was with over there would just wear white sport socks.

Also, they issued new socks for trials to my entire company (perhaps the whole battle group) before we deployed... by the time this young lad gets his kick at the dusty can, the new socks will be in the system.... maybe. :dontpanic:

RHFC_piper said:
Seems kinda pointless to begin with... it's not like they inspect your socks to see that you're wearing the issued gear... half the guys I was with over there would just wear white sport socks.

I was under the impression that the unit you deployed with would do that kind of thing  ;D

Back